Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied by Chase - What next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied by Chase - What next?

Just denied by Chase (for Freedom Card), called in and was told insufficient credit history & too thin of a file, called recon and was told too many inquiries (I suppose from when I went car shopping recently (I thought they were only supposed to count as one but that doesn't seem to be the case) and insufficient credit history, pushed to a supervisor and explained my car shopping ways and they said it's not just that it's also the credit age (1 year yesterday) and too thin of a file (2 cards 1 self lender loan).  Anyway just going off of advice I found here and there and kind of surprised I got denied, any advice for next steps?  Also what can I do about the inquiries, do they all still show but they're only counted as one by lenders? I was most surprised at the inquiry comment since they're very low relatively (discover app shows 1 inquiry, credit karma shows 6).

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied by Chase - What next?

I wish I had solid sound advice for you, but Chase Bank has never made sense to me. They turned me down over an apartment collection 5 years ago at a 701 FICO and I never went back to them after that.
Message 2 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just denied by Chase, called in and was told insufficient credit history & too thin of a file, called recon and was told too many inquiries (I suppose from when I went car shopping recently (I thought they were only supposed to count as one but that doesn't seem to be the case) and insufficient credit history, pushed to a supervisor and explained my car shopping ways and they said it's not just that it's also the credit age (1 year yesterday) and too thin of a file (2 cards 1 self lender loan).  Anyway just going off of advice I found here and there and kind of surprised I got denied, any advice for next steps?  Also what can I do about the inquiries, do they all still show but they're only counted as one by lenders? I was most surprised at the inquiry comment since they're very low relatively (discover app shows 1 inquiry, credit karma shows 6).

Dont look at what Discover shows in terms of inq, it's wonky and incorrect 

Auto inquiries are binned for scoring purposes, but when credit is pulled, they are counted individually. 

I dont think Chase cares too much about your car HPs. You have a very young and very thin file. In your case, it's just too early for Chase. 

Even if you were successful at recon, you'd be looking at terrible approval terms and SL. 

You would probably be better off grabbing another card from a different lender (as long as it fits your spending habits) then try again with Chase in 6-12 months, providing you stay under 5/24

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you recommend another card I might qualify for (I don't want to add too many more inquires, I had no idea or I wouldn't have been so liberal), preferably one with a decent sign up bonus and travel rewards 

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP,

Try getting secured cards from big banks.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check Amex for prequals, and any that are a green light, read through their categories and see how they line up. If they’re a fit for your spending and are preapproved, go for it.
Message 7 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im not sure what part of the forum you have been reading but the standard advice given in regards to Chase is they like more than 1 year credit history and aren't to kind to thin files. Seems you were given the wrong impression somewhere. Just continue to build up your credit history through good payment history snd perhaps add a third card before Chase as they usually dont like to be your first in anything.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like no prequal offers from Amex, should I just garden a while?

Message 9 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you recommend another card I might qualify for (I don't want to add too many more inquires, I had no idea or I wouldn't have been so liberal), preferably one with a decent sign up bonus and travel rewards 

I would hold off and let your current card age till at least one year. Once you reach the one year mark and you keep your utilization low you will be pretty much golden.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.