Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied with excellent credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied with excellent credit

Hi I am trying to get a cash back card. My FICO credit score is somewhere between 801 and 826, depends who you ask. So quite good. Issue is not credit score.

I have less than 1/3 of my available credit spent. Usually only 1/6.

But it is a fairly high percentage of my income since I put nearly all my expenses on credit card and then pay it off. There's some I could change to paying by EFT. I don't use cash/check/debit card hardly at all because I am homebound. 

I have extremely low income, and I suspect this is the actual issue. They will tell me on the phone, either unpromted or because I ask, that they do have an income limit: people must have a certain yearly income. The lowest I have heard is $10,000, but most were higher. SSI (supplemental income for disabled people without other sources of income or whose other sources of income are less than SSI) is a maximum of $750/month, for reference (9k/ year). (An individual state might add $25 or something.)

They don't cite my income in the letters, however. They say "too few accounts currently paid as agreed" (all my accounts are paid in full every month, but I have two credit cards and no other loans).Or, "You do not have a sufficient number of established credit references."

They say "lack of recent installment load information." Well, yes. I have almost no income, and don't drive. This is a good thing. I don't have a mortgage, car payment, or school payment. I have no debt that I cannot pay.

One of them complained about many recent inquiries, but I thought multiple inquiries in the same space of time was meant to be treated as only one inquiry.

If no one will give me a credit because I haven't got enough accounts, how do I ever get more accounts? It's circular.

Is there anything I can do to change this?

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Re: Denied with excellent credit

You can go the secured route, for credit cards I understand discover is a good one. For an installment loan I've read about self lender on here and you can check it out here... https://www.self.inc. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in!

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 2 of 45
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

If you could list your current profile (cards balances etc) and which cards did you apply for?

That will give us a better insight,  hard to advise without knowing which banks denied you.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 45
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

My suggestion would be to try Discover’s pre approval site. Good luck.

https://www.discovercard.com/application/website/prequal?adobe_mc_sdid=SDID%3D517B80523310226B-2C924...

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 4 of 45
parzivalmx
Valued Member

All Hard inquiries counts and they only get deleted after 2 years.

US Cards

Mexico Cards
Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I can put in my cards like you guys have until the newbie star goes away. (and I didn't follow how to do it from directions, either)

I have a Citi Diamond Preferred card (I have been with citi since 2004; they upgrade my card because I pay) with a credit limit of $1900.

I have a Blue Sky rewards card from American Express with a credit limit of $7200.

Discover denied me for their cash back card. They cited an income limit on the phone. Would the pre-approval site be different?

I can't even get a WalMart or PayPal card right now.

ETA: Oh I forgot to list the denials.

Discover cash back

Capital One cash back

American express cash back (apparently they also want cardholders to bank with them, so they had an additional complaint)

my credit union

Walmart

Paypal

I also applied at Citi (for their cash back card--my current card doesn't have any points), but haven't heard back yet.

Message 6 of 45
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks, we don't need the pics just the stats are fine.

If discover denied you, it won't be any diffrent with the prequalify either. 

What is your annual income, we gave posters here with low end income and they have some decent lines/cards.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Less than 10k. This I suspect is the main problem. But that excludes a lot of disabled people from the whole credit card system (as 9k is a very typical income for a disabled person; in some cases, less).

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

That installment loan thing is really interesting. I never heard of that before. Might not work for me, but it's good to know this is a thing that exists. Thanks for posting.

Message 9 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's income. The letters will list all sorts of different reasons to fulfill their legal requirements, but the gist of it is comes down to income and how they perceive someone's capacity to repay.

With income on the lower side, IMO, it's even more important to keep utilization super low. I'd pay every couple weeks or before the statement cuts to keep reported use as low as possible.

It sucks, but you may have to come to terms that a lot of cards are just going to reject the application outright. I'd also let some of those recent inquiries age a bit, maybe wait until they are 6 months old and try again for cards that may be low-income friendly. Discover would be the first I'd try, and maybe Capital One.
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.