Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 2nd ( second) card app thread

Also...I don't want anyone to be confused by me saying "when I called".

I app'ed online and went through the whole online process....then I had to upload ID and SS card and was given a number to call in for identity verification because I have a fraud alert on my credit files.

Message 61 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, im not sure if this thread will stick but i figured id give it a try to create a thread only related for those looking to app a second Discover card, most likely the It card but since their selection isnt that big other cards could be included.

Though their is another Discover unofficial data point thread, i want this one to be more focused for those considering apping a second Discover card so they can see data points from those of us who have experiencd this. Please include , if you remember, your Fico score when applied, and any pertinent info like previous credit limit, any promos offered with app like 0% apr, bt offers etc.

If this doesnt last or gets merged i understand but hopwfully the few of us who have closed our first Discover cards and reapped can shed light to those thinking of doing soSmiley Happy Thanks everyone, ill begin......

Been thinking about this since the morning.

Facts: Checking for prequal on the Discover site does not do a HP.

Questions:

1. If you are prequalified, does applying for the second card do a HP? or do they use their internal score and SP?

2. Is there a capping of sorts or an upper limit of total credit limit/exposure at Discover per account or per account holder? For example, like Amex and PenFed.

Piro, even though many have reported not recieving a hp after being prequaled,  there are those who have received one so i think a good frame of mind is to EXPECT a hp but be happy , lol, if you dont receive one. Im not sure if i would have prequaled had my Eq not been frozen  so i guess ill never know or perhaps in the future we will seeSmiley Wink

As for caps, im not sure, we have not really seen that mentioned hereas evidence dome have gotten their Disco ovee 50k and climbing. Im sure yoyr income and overall profile will affect how much they lend you. 

Good deal. Thanks!

If I do apply, then we'll know about the pulls. I already have a 19k exposure with them, so let's see.

Message 62 of 431
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

AJC found your thread after searcing Google. So here goes to help others that cant go to the Big 4 yet or get a second card:

1st Discover It card opened :

Aug. 21, 2016 at 24.69% 1 yr out of BK. 3 open Cap1 cards showing on reports, closed just gas card/rooms to go/old car loan, No IIB, collections, 1 30 day late auto 4yrs 8m. SL $1200. 2 pulls EQ/TU FICO 8 was 704-706. 2 auto CLI's and the rest luv buttons up to $5900

2nd Discover It opened:

Today 5/15 SL $6500 13.4% 1 pull EQ FICO 8 745. Wasn't instant. Landing page said call this number to finalize your application. CSR transferred me to UW. Stated I was over 18 months and qualified to get Double Cash Back Promo again. 14 months of 0% APR. Asked my address, who I have an installment loan with, sent a text to my phone. Read it back. Put on hold for <2mins. Came back Congrats.

Hope this help others that cant get Chase, Citi, AMEX, BOA, ect. PC first It to Chrome.

Mods: Not a double thread post, just helping with AJC's data thread. Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great job firemedic1Smiley Happy Excellent data points. I've already received 1 cli on my new card so second card is coming along nicelySmiley Happy. Enjoy your double cash backSmiley Happy
Message 64 of 431
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Cant wait to see some data points from people who started with a secured Discover first.

Message 65 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, those will mostly be found in the Disco cli thread. A great deal of people have started with a secured disco card. If anyone here who apps a second card started with a secured they can surely include that dpSmiley Happy
Message 66 of 431
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I think it would be valuable in this thread. Things such as how long before they were graduated and when they applied for the second one. There might be a correlation between secured card time and new SL. For example, people that graduated near the 12 month mark having lower SL.

Message 67 of 431
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

AJC found your thread after searcing Google. So here goes to help others that cant go to the Big 4 yet or get a second card:

1st Discover It card opened :

Aug. 21, 2016 at 24.69% 1 yr out of BK. 3 open Cap1 cards showing on reports, closed just gas card/rooms to go/old car loan, No IIB, collections, 1 30 day late auto 4yrs 8m. SL $1200. 2 pulls EQ/TU FICO 8 was 704-706. 2 auto CLI's and the rest luv buttons up to $5900

2nd Discover It opened:

Today 5/15 SL $6500 13.4% 1 pull EQ FICO 8 745. Wasn't instant. Landing page said call this number to finalize your application. CSR transferred me to UW. Stated I was over 18 months and qualified to get Double Cash Back Promo again. 14 months of 0% APR. Asked my address, who I have an installment loan with, sent a text to my phone. Read it back. Put on hold for <2mins. Came back Congrats.

Hope this help others that cant get Chase, Citi, AMEX, BOA, ect. PC first It to Chrome.

Mods: Not a double thread post, just helping with AJC's data thread. Smiley Happy

Data Points: Inquiry hit EQ 745 to 739. Open accounts below. Total accounts open/closed 13. 2 accounts opened past year, soon 3. 2 scoreable inquires now.

Message 68 of 431
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Lol, those will mostly be found in the Disco cli thread. A great deal of people have started with a secured disco card. If anyone here who apps a second card started with a secured they can surely include that dpSmiley Happy

I totally will let everyone know! I may app in August, unless I get another CLI or two. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 69 of 431
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Really seems in general getting a second Discover gives you a chance to move out of the bucket they put you in...

Think that may part of the reason they started to allow a second Discover card ....

But if folks are gonna app for a second disco.. they really should work on their scores and try to get them noticably higher than when they apped originally, otherwise they may get stuck again.....  Similar to Cap One but without all the pulls... and even less desireable buckets usually have some movement with Disco....

Message 70 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.