Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover 2nd ( second) card app thread

Good point Jolt, I dont know if was my previous history with Disco or just overall growth of my profile but in a difference of about a year, I went from a sl of $2500 to a sl of $5000. So maybe something thereSmiley Wink
Message 71 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

So here's my addition to the thread: In April of 2016 I was approved for a Discover secured IT card with a 200 dollar limit (deposit). My scores around those times were in the 660-670 fico score range as I had a lot of late payments (April 2015 was my last late payment) and a charge off from 2014 still showing on my credit reports. It took around 10 months but Discover returned my 200 dollar deposit a little bit earlier than the 12 month mark. I believe the credit limit they gave me was 500 dollars after graduating and then I immediately put in a request via a SP CLI and it was doubled to 1k. In the past two years I've put in my SP CLI's every few months and received small 300-500 dollar increases and the current limit on my discover IT is 2300. I've been frustrated because I have cards now with limits over 10k and I could not get a decent CLI from Discover. Fast forward to a few days ago when I was combing through the forums (you guys are horrible yet so helpful at the same time! ) and I saw that someone had tried to submit a SP CLI and got denied and then went and apped for a second Discover IT and got like a 8k limit. So i thought what the heck maybe I can do that too and double dip with the cashback match bonus. I obviously wasn't able to maximize much during my first year with the matching bonus being on a 200 dollar limit. I did get the 5% categories added to my secured card when I called in and threatened to cancel my card and the lady nicely asked me what benefits I expected from my card and I said cashback like my Chase freedom so I think she gave me like 10 dollars and added the 5% categories to my secured card. Anyways onto the application for the second Disco card, I submitted my application on 5/9 and then got the dreaded verification needed. I was at work at the time so I didn't have any SSN card so I just called in and the agent verified me after asking a few security questions and came back and said i was approved for 18k! Definitely my highest SL ever for a new app. My fico score from equifax that they pulled was 716. My income is in the 80's and I have around 5 inqs on Equifax (I have 10+ INQ on EX and Trans). I have a ton of new accounts in the past 12 months citi double cash, marvel mastercard, barclays cashforward, blispay, capital one savor, and a new auto loan. So in summary: Discover IT (2300) - Opened April 2016 and graduated to unsecured around 2/17 Discover IT (18000) - Opened 5/18 Fico at time of app - 660 (EQ) Fico at time of approval - 716 (EQ)
Message 72 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, fantastic job Jamison76Smiley Happy Lol satisfies the thread and previous request for secured to unsecured data pointsSmiley Wink. 18k is massive for Discover. Most of us just want to hit that within a few yearsSmiley Wink
Message 73 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So here's my addition to the thread: In April of 2016 I was approved for a Discover secured IT card with a 200 dollar limit (deposit). My scores around those times were in the 660-670 fico score range as I had a lot of late payments (April 2015 was my last late payment) and a charge off from 2014 still showing on my credit reports. It took around 10 months but Discover returned my 200 dollar deposit a little bit earlier than the 12 month mark. I believe the credit limit they gave me was 500 dollars after graduating and then I immediately put in a request via a SP CLI and it was doubled to 1k. In the past two years I've put in my SP CLI's every few months and received small 300-500 dollar increases and the current limit on my discover IT is 2300. I've been frustrated because I have cards now with limits over 10k and I could not get a decent CLI from Discover. Fast forward to a few days ago when I was combing through the forums (you guys are horrible yet so helpful at the same time! ) and I saw that someone had tried to submit a SP CLI and got denied and then went and apped for a second Discover IT and got like a 8k limit. So i thought what the heck maybe I can do that too and double dip with the cashback match bonus. I obviously wasn't able to maximize much during my first year with the matching bonus being on a 200 dollar limit. I did get the 5% categories added to my secured card when I called in and threatened to cancel my card and the lady nicely asked me what benefits I expected from my card and I said cashback like my Chase freedom so I think she gave me like 10 dollars and added the 5% categories to my secured card. Anyways onto the application for the second Disco card, I submitted my application on 5/9 and then got the dreaded verification needed. I was at work at the time so I didn't have any SSN card so I just called in and the agent verified me after asking a few security questions and came back and said i was approved for 18k! Definitely my highest SL ever for a new app. My fico score from equifax that they pulled was 716. My income is in the 80's and I have around 5 inqs on Equifax (I have 10+ INQ on EX and Trans). I have a ton of new accounts in the past 12 months citi double cash, marvel mastercard, barclays cashforward, blispay, capital one savor, and a new auto loan. So in summary: Discover IT (2300) - Opened April 2016 and graduated to unsecured around 2/17 Discover IT (18000) - Opened 5/18 Fico at time of app - 660 (EQ) Fico at time of approval - 716 (EQ)

Nicely done Jamison76! Thanks for sharing!

Message 74 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats Jamison monster SL

Message 75 of 431
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Great story and thanks for sharing!

Robot Very Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 76 of 431
kugel
Valued Contributor

I truly believe u can get the all cl with them in one card instead of carrying 2 cards

14 months old discover got sp cli last month from 18k to 23k a week ago tried again for a cli and got $2000 taking it to 25k
Message 77 of 431
kugel
Valued Contributor

Anyone know what’s the max exposure with discover ?
Message 78 of 431
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@kugel wrote:
I truly believe u can get the all cl with them in one card instead of carrying 2 cards

14 months old discover got sp cli last month from 18k to 23k a week ago tried again for a cli and got $2000 taking it to 25k

Just like Capital One... it seems for some folks.. esp those who had a secured disco... the cards get stuck.....remember discover also uses ABS....

You are probably in a better bucket than some of these folks, hence why you aren't running into the roadblocks...

So for you, you can get it without having to get a second card...

-J

Message 79 of 431
kugel
Valued Contributor

Ok I hear Yes it makes sense I guess I am at better bucket
What’s the max I can get with discover
What is ABS ?
Message 80 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.