Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover CLI Question

I am interested in requesting a CLI from Discover. I recently paid down a non discover account balance and am waiting for it to update with the bureaus with the anticipated score increase.  My question is once the new account balance is listed on Transunion and request a CLI will the Discover SP use the updated information or thirty days old score?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover CLI Question

They will use the scores and reports from their monthly TU pull. Look on your app/website and see which date they pulled it from, it will be the same every month. As soon as they update it with the report that shows the score increase since paying down your balance, you're good to pull the trigger. Your updated report will display on their app/website 5 days after the report is pulled from TU. Good luck on your CLI!

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 11
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

@Ficoproblems247  Thank you. I didn't know they use TU for CLI. I never was successful with Discover CLI requests... Is it true that you have to wait till your account is one year old to be eligible for CLI? 

@Anonymous good luck!

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

TCL: $72,900
INQs in last (6 m./12 m.)
EX (2/2) | EQ (0/2) | TU (0/1)
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rudolphreindeer wrote:

... Is it true that you have to wait till your account is one year old to be eligible for CLI? 

No. I got one @Anonymous days. Details here. Good luck.

Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@rudolphreindeer wrote:

... Is it true that you have to wait till your account is one year old to be eligible for CLI? 

No. I got one @Anonymous days. Details here. Good luck.

@Anonymous, it appears you inadvertently tagged a member that hasn't posted since 2010 using the mention feature.  

Also, your Discover CLI results were pre-pandemic.  Discover tightened the CLI reins for newly established accounts since last year.

Message 5 of 11
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@rudolphreindeer wrote:

@Ficoproblems247  Thank you. I didn't know they use TU for CLI. I never was successful with Discover CLI requests... Is it true that you have to wait till your account is one year old to be eligible for CLI? 

@Anonymous good luck!

The 1 year requirement is something we all hope they do away with. When you speak to a CSR they will even confirm to you that it is policy that rolled out in early 2020. Disco is an odd duck in that the methodology they use to calculate a favorable outcome to a CLI for one person may be completely different than another. Some people have used their cards heavily, and then been given an auto-CLI after they sock drawered their cards for a few months. My last couple of attempts have come back with the response "Low usage of current Discover credit line in current or previous month(s)." meaning they need me to put more spend on it before they throw me another bone. I've started to see way more Disco CLI approval posts roll through lately, so maybe that's a good sign that they're loosening up again? 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 11
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

I dont agree that Discover has tighten the CLI requests, I received one about 4 months ago. Since I burned them a while back, I feel they are watching me and gave me a start CL. Im now at $7.5k and it seems I am getting the denial for not enough experience with current CL for a CLI. I will keep trying every 6 months or so, and yes use they use the credit from the month they pulled it and a consumer is able to view it. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Discover uses EX(at least for me) for original HP on new cards and uses TU8 for CLI's? 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover not able to process a CLI?

Has anyone requested a CLI on their account from Discover and received the message "A credit line increase request cannot be processed at this time. Please call 1-800-347-3085 for assistance"

Message 9 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover not able to process a CLI?

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone requested a CLI on their account from Discover and received the message "A credit line increase request cannot be processed at this time. Please call 1-800-347-3085 for assistance"

Have 12 statements posted on that account? Discover won't give increase on new accounts less than 12 months.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.