Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Timeframe Update

tag
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover CLI Timeframe Update

@Shadowfactor

I had a similar situation (read: frustration) with Discover. Thought that putting a lot of spend through the card and paying in full would put me on their CLI radar but I was wrong (and denied.. lol). Forget where I read it but someone said to let a small balance report and then pay it off after the statement cuts. Did that for two months and *voila* I received some auto luv. Not wanting to rock the boat too much I didn’t attempt to DD but kept the same system going. Hit the luv button this week (~45 days from the last CLI) just for s**ts and grins and I got some more luv. Moral of the story is don’t give up. Play around with different approaches while you SD it and see what yields results based on your profile.

Good luck!
In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 21 of 35
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I’m going to have to play around with it this month and see.

I’ve let balanced report though before and no dice. I will try it again and see what happens. It will be a month before I can as my statement just cut a couple days ago.

I recently switched to paying only once a month because I read that CLI were partly based on the last payment amount. Worked the first time I tried it but it could have been conicidence as well.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 22 of 35
arkane
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Yes discover does buckets.. but they are usually a bit more accomodating for growth than say Cap One...

Really seems to affect secured cards more than others....  

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

Might be worth apping for a second Disco ....

-J

Inspired by this post, I went ahead and checked out the prospectus for Discover's ABS offerings: https://investorrelations.discover.com/investor-relations/debt-investor-info/discover-credit-card-ab...

In it there's a small section on "Credit-Granting Procedures", I'm going to quote the most relevant parts here:

"Proactive management of Discover Card customers’ accounts is a critical part of Discover Bank’s credit risk management, and all
accounts are subject to ongoing credit assessment. This assessment reflects information relating to the performance of the customer’s
Discover Card account as well as information from credit bureaus relating to the customer’s broader credit performance. Discover Bank
utilizes scoring models (statistical evaluation models) to support the measurement and management of credit risk. At the individual
customer level, Discover Bank uses custom risk models and/or generic industry models as an integral part of the credit decision-making process. Depending on the duration of the customer’s account, risk profile and other performance metrics, the account may be subject to a range of account management treatments, including eligibility for marketing initiatives, limits on transaction authorization, and
increases or decreases in purchase and cash credit limits."

Obviously Disco isn't goig to give out proprietary information, but we can at least know that account age IS a factor.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be discouraged, my starting limit on discover card was 3k and it was that way for a long time (opened it back in 04). Only last few years they started to increase credit line for me, now discover is my highest limit card and with 0% apr for 3 years in a row, became my fav card.

I don't keep a track of when I got my cli, so I just request for it whenever I remember.
Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

was your disco card a secured that graduated or were approved for it regular im trying to see if they treat their cards that unsecure like capital one cards & sit in one bucket Smiley Mad

Message 25 of 35
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

It was a secured card. Graduated at the 7th statement.

Before it graduated I was didn’t have the line up I have now obviously so it was my only rewards card so it saw a lot of use. I constantly recycled the credit limit.

I’m going out of the country for 4 months in the end of August so back to the sock drawer it’s going as disco acceptance is even worse then Amex.

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was a helpful read, hit the love button and got a 4k increase. Over 16k now. Thanks guys!
Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I’m about done with discover. They hate me for whatever reason.

I max my card out every month and PIF. I can’t get a CLI to save my life. I got a $400 increase once to bring my limit up to $600.

It’s my oldest card and has by far my lowest limit. Every other card is atleast 9X the limit of discover and most are 12-20X the limit.

My recent denial a couple days ago really sunk the knife in. Entered the 700’s on TU and approved for 19K on a new card and still denied for a CLI.

Starting to think I’m stuck in a bucket. From what I’ve read about discover. They dont do buckets. But I can’t get an increase to save my life

+1 on the bucketing.    I got a secured card 200SL, graduated in 7 months, no increase. 3 months later got 200 cli and nothing since.  Ishowed preapproved for an IT or Miles card.  Approved second IT for 2500.   I would say the first card is bucketed. 

Message 28 of 35
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Maybe at some point I will get another discover card but not anytime in the near future. The 10% back the first year was nice but I’m not interested in taking another HP & new account for a discover account.

There seems to be a common theme that the second discover CL isn’t all that much higher then the first one. I certainly don’t want to add a new account for a 2500 CL and no signup bonus. Discover will forever be limited to 5% only unless they raise it to a much higher CL on its own. I like discover as a company but I just am at the point where adding new accounts to my report isn’t worth it unless it comes with a useable CL and signup bonus.

If that doesn’t happen in the next couple years , I will have to re-evaluate at that time.

Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Maybe at some point I will get another discover card but not anytime in the near future. The 10% back the first year was nice but I’m not interested in taking another HP & new account for a discover account.

There seems to be a common theme that the second discover CL isn’t all that much higher then the first one. I certainly don’t want to add a new account for a 2500 CL and no signup bonus. Discover will forever be limited to 5% only unless they raise it to a much higher CL on its own. I like discover as a company but I just am at the point where adding new accounts to my report isn’t worth it unless it comes with a useable CL and signup bonus.

If that doesn’t happen in the next couple years , I will have to re-evaluate at that time.

Yeah, i would agree with that to not add just to get more limit.    My second IT card, has CB match again and 0% for 14 mo. as well.  There are many DP's of ppl getting the CB match again for a second card. 

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.