Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI in 2020 and 2021

tag
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

Discover CLI in 2020 and 2021

Has anyone else noticed that Discover has been a little stingy with the credit line increases in the last year?

My wife's Discover card is our lowest limit on a non-store card (I'm looking at you REDcard). An our income and score more than justify an increase. I put just over $1500 in spend through it & paid all but $10 (I made it our AZEO) before statement close the last few months, so I don't think it's a spend issue. We keep getting an "insufficient experience" denial letter every month.

We had been getting CLI every 3 months, then every month, but our last one was 5 months and it's been 6 more months and we got another denial.

My only guess is that this is a result of the pandemic. I got my hopes up a bit when then approved the last CLI that they might be resuming them, but now I have no idea.

I know Discover is just monkeys throwing darts, but I was curious if anyone else's monkeys were behaving this way 🤣

Last four CLI

7/16/20

2/28/20

1/26/20

Dec 2019 (I wasn't recording CLI in my spreadsheet yet, so I had to check statements)

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover CLI in 2020 and 2021

Do you have your own Discover card? (seperate account?)

I have a Discover with a decent CL ($8,000 and have had this account for 14 years) then I opened my second in 2018, it was just $1,500 and after a few denials I had one CLI in a year to for another $1,000 ($2,500 total) . I also have an income and credit history for much higher, but it seemed I was at my total limit with them.

Not sure if your case is similiar....

Message 2 of 17
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@Yankee2 wrote:

Do you have your own Discover card? (seperate account?)

I have a Discover with a decent CL ($8,000 and have had this account for 14 years) then I opened my second in 2018, it was just $1,500 and after a few denials I had one CLI in a year to for another $1,000 ($2,500 total) . I also have an income and credit history for much higher, but it seemed I was at my total limit with them.

Not sure if your case is similiar....

I'm just an AU on my wife's DiscoverCard. I prioritized applying for other cards and now I'm not really their target demo (thick file with $10-30k limits). We don't need the credit (<1% utilization), it mostly just bugs me that the oldest open account also has the lowest limit by a lot. Even when they were giving us increases, they were $300 at a time.

Maybe if I have a period without a new account for a while, I'll apply for a new Discover account to get out of the sandbox (padded playroom?) 

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 3 of 17
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

When I applied and was approved in Oct. 2019 I had much higher hopes for quick growth from everything I had read on the forums. The approval section used to be constantly littered with CLIs and DD approvals from Disco. They're still there, but you can certainly tell they're much lower, as well as fewer and more fat between. The pandemic has affected all the FIs in some way. Not personal, just business. Doesn't make it any less frustrating to those of us that are showing responsible spend so I feel your pain. This too shall all pass and I'm sure there is light at the end of the Disco tunnel. It's just all a matter of how far we still have before we get there. My statement is cycling as we speak so I'll smash that Disco luv button tomorrow. I'll probably get another "insufficient experience" letter in the mail but it sure hasn't stopped me from trying yet! 

ETA: I indeed smashed the luv button and got the friendly Disco message that they'll send me their reasons of dissapproval to my mailbox. Carry on.

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 17
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that Discover has been a little stingy with the credit line increases in the last year?

My wife's Discover card is our lowest limit on a non-store card (I'm looking at you REDcard). An our income and score more than justify an increase. I put just over $1500 in spend through it & paid all but $10 (I made it our AZEO) before statement close the last few months, so I don't think it's a spend issue. We keep getting an "insufficient experience" denial letter every month.

We had been getting CLI every 3 months, then every month, but our last one was 5 months and it's been 6 more months and we got another denial.

My only guess is that this is a result of the pandemic. I got my hopes up a bit when then approved the last CLI that they might be resuming them, but now I have no idea.

I know Discover is just monkeys throwing darts, but I was curious if anyone else's monkeys were behaving this way 🤣

Last four CLI

7/16/20

2/28/20

1/26/20

Dec 2019 (I wasn't recording CLI in my spreadsheet yet, so I had to check statements)

I feel over time as your credit profile grows and you get more credit cards Discover seems to lose interest. My Discover is still my highest CL, but that was because they were basically one of four cards I had even though I did add a lot more other cards I redominately used them extensively during that year. Seems at this point I would just wait every full year to ask for a CLI or they just give one automatically. As I do get automatic CLI for my first Discover card for a few hundred, but the 14.5k one is never given anything anymore it seems which kinda makes sense since the 5% category is capped at 1.5k.

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FalconSteve wrote:

2020 wasn't a good year for Disco CLI's, at least for me. I've had my Discover card for three years now, always paid the card off in full every month. The first two years, I was given increases without even asking for them. In 2020, I asked a CLI three times and was turned down each time, with some lame excuse (that I can't even remember now). I just figured the declines were due to the downturn in the economy and let it go at that.

After reading through this thread, someone suggested applying for another card. I went through the pre-approval process and lo and behold! I WAS pre-approved. Although, I have no intention of asking for another card, I just thought it was strange that I wasn't eligible for a CLI, but I could get another card. Things that make you go hmmm! Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 17
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

When I applied and was approved in Oct. 2019 I had much higher hopes for quick growth from everything I had read on the forums. The approval section used to be constantly littered with CLIs and DD approvals from Disco. They're still there, but you can certainly tell they're much lower, as well as fewer and more fat between. The pandemic has affected all the FIs in some way. Not personal, just business. Doesn't make it any less frustrating to those of us that are showing responsible spend so I feel your pain. This too shall all pass and I'm sure there is light at the end of the Disco tunnel. It's just all a matter of how far we still have before we get there. My statement is cycling as we speak so I'll smash that Disco luv button tomorrow. I'll probably get another "insufficient experience" letter in the mail but it sure hasn't stopped me from trying yet! 

Yes, they have not been allowing CLI within first year since about March 2020. If yours opened in Oct 2019, you would have become eligible for CLI on Nov 1, 2020. Have you gotten any CLI on this account since then?

FICO (12/22): EX8 838. TU8 826. EQ9 837.
Profile: Clean/thick/aged/new. Revolvers: 7 open, 1 closed. 1 Install.
AoOA/RA 20y. AAoA 4.5y. AoYA/RA 6m. TCL $128.3K.
Message 7 of 17
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Oct 2020 I got one for 2k on a 9.4k line.  I requested another one earlier this month and was denied, but the denial was for lack of use of the line in the preceeding months, which was true.

Message 8 of 17
_bobby_lee
New Contributor

I'm a little late to this convo, but I got a CLI from Disco in the fall and perhaps it may bring some insight. Had my card since 2017, I got my limit increased from $2k to $4.4k in early 2019, (first CLI request with them ever) and didn't use the card but maybe a couple times a year. Then in the fall I noticed that "request an increase" button in my mobile app, and it has been over a year, so I charged two large purchases totaling $1300 onto the card, paid it off in full, then requested and increase and got instant approval for a $6k increase for a new CL of $10.4. So, they are giving them out, but perhaps they didn't see any new kind of behaviors that justified another CLI since you had already received a few that calendar year? Just my speculation. Best of luck!

Cards are shown in chronological order of opening, 2014 - 2022.
US Bank Cash + $8,700
Business Cards:
AMEX Blue Business Cash | $9,000 | July 2021
Wells Fargo Active Cash | $5,500 | Feb 2022
Chase Ink Business Unlimited | $11,000 | Feb 2022

Starting Score: 657
Current Score: 777 TU 780 EQ
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@_bobby_lee wrote:

I'm a little late to this convo, but I got a CLI from Disco in the fall and perhaps it may bring some insight. Had my card since 2017, I got my limit increased from $2k to $4.4k in early 2019, (first CLI request with them ever) and didn't use the card but maybe a couple times a year. Then in the fall I noticed that "request an increase" button in my mobile app, and it has been over a year, so I charged two large purchases totaling $1300 onto the card, paid it off in full, then requested and increase and got instant approval for a $6k increase for a new CL of $10.4. So, they are giving them out, but perhaps they didn't see any new kind of behaviors that justified another CLI since you had already received a few that calendar year? Just my speculation. Best of luck!

Congratulations on your latest increase and welcome to the forums! 👋

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.