Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT CLI pointers?

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Discover IT CLI pointers?

Account was opened as a secured card in April 2018.  Opened with the required $200 deposit.  Maintained the card perfectly for the 7 months and graduated to unsecured.  The credit limit stayed $200.  Tried a CLI and got denied, waited a few weeks and was denied again.  I didn't know until it was pretty much time to graduate that I should have been adding money to the deposit.  Any advice?

Started in April with nothing.  Prior to 2018 I couldn't even pull a report because everything has always been cash.  So currently the profile looks like this: Discover IT $200, Victoria's Secret $250 (opened in September 2018 with the "shopping cart trick"), personal loan for $2000 (opened September 2018.  Deposited the money in a checking account and set up auto-payments to pay the loan with the loan).  We are planning on applying for a mortgage in April 2019 so the Discover, VS and loan are all there to get some credit built up. 

Scores currently Discover ScoreCard TU 614 : CapOne Credit Wise 642 : CK (FAKO) TU 642 EQ 641 : Lending Tree Vantage 3.0 642 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover IT CLI pointers?

With Discover, a random string of words would be as accurate as careful analysis of available DPs. 

Short version, nobody really knows. Use card when it benefits you, and ask every 30 days. 

They will say yes eventually 

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, in case if you don't already know, the only FICO8 score on your list is Discover Scorecard. CapOne, CK and LendingTree all provide the same score, VantageScore 3.0 (Fako as you refer to).
Message 3 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With Discover, cli is given whenver an individuals aura is aligned with Jupiter and one cant determine thst until it actually occursSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 28
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

OP. There is no set way to know what Disco does. Maybe take 6 candles and place your card in the center and offer your inner being to the Disco Gods to give you a AJC Special. Smiley Indifferent

Message 5 of 28
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

When you do get your Disc CLI, be sure to call their double-dip line immediately {(800) 347-4856} and ask for an even higher limit. There will be an HP,  but, as far as I can see, it's always been worth it. I made a HUGE mistake after my last CLI and forgot to call double-dip until the next day. I was told I was too late. The request has to be made on the same day as the CLI.

Message 6 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@kshurika wrote:

When you do get your Disc CLI, be sure to call their double-dip line immediately {(800) 347-4856} and ask for an even higher limit. There will be an HP,  but, as far as I can see, it's always been worth it. I made a HUGE mistake after my last CLI and forgot to call double-dip until the next day. I was told I was too late. The request has to be made on the same day as the CLI.

I've done it three times and there was no HP involved. 

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kshurika wrote:

kshurika, The term double dipping refers to SP only CLIs. There are 2 types of DDs, hitting the luv button after receiving an auto CLI, or calling in to ask if more is left on the table after a manual luv button CLIs, both are SP only and must be done within 24 hours of initial approval.

Of course one can always take an HP for more but that's not associated with double dipping.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only received one CLI from Discover...Think ive had it for a few years now.  I may close it out if PenFed/Chase appove me for higher stuff.

Message 9 of 28
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Okay, well Remedios and oldman87 say the double dip is an SP. The CLI I did with Disc in June raised me from 6K to 12K and it was an SP. Immediately, I called the number I listed above and spoke to a CSR. He said he had to read a statement to me explaining that there would be an HP for the additional CLI request. Then, he told me the HP would be TU, where I had only one inq. and not EX, where I had 9. I got another 2.5K and there was an inq. added on TU.

So, that's my experience.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.