AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 21 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover IT CLI pointers?

I used to ask this earlier on. If you get an increase, then call in and get a DD, list the number you used and verbiage you used. Maybe one or two would do it ,most would just be happy with their new cli and leave it to our imaginationsSmiley Wink
Message 22 of 28
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP. since my last 2 CLIs were $3K and $2.2K, here is what I’ve come to realize based on my personal experience.

Discover likes big spend. When I was spending less than 100/mo, I’d get the “not enough experience with current limit blah blah blah” verbiage.

But as soon as I started putting big spend on the card, I got instant CLIs approvals—<90 days apart. Since I have 0%APR, I don’t PIF, but I do pay any where between 10-20x the min pymt.

Yep, as others have said—especially @ajc & @firemedic—Discover is a strange beast indeed.

Now on the DD. All mine were SPs except the one that CSR told me upfront it would be a HP, which I declined.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 23 of 28
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
Hi OP. since my last 2 CLIs were $3K and $2.2K, here is what I’ve come to realize based on my personal experience.

Discover likes big spend. When I was spending less than 100/mo, I’d get the “not enough experience with current limit blah blah blah” verbiage.

But as soon as I started putting big spend on the card, I got instant CLIs approvals—<90 days apart. Since I have 0%APR, I don’t PIF, but I do pay any where between 10-20x the min pymt.

@Anonymous, as others have said—especially @Anonymous & @firemedic—Discover is a strange beast indeed.

Now on the DD. All mine were SPs except the one that CSR told me upfront it would be a HP, which I declined.

Yes, but most CC issuers like a big spend to justify a CLI, if you're only spending a couple hundred on a card with $5k+ CL there's not much justification for them to grant a CLI.

My Discover started with a $4k CL in July 2015, by Aug. 2016 I got to $8k heavy spend during the 1st year of 0% & double rewards, but then I stalled out on CLIs with much less spend, a couple $500 CLIs got it to $10.6K. Then I got my best CLI ever by doing a BT early this year - I took a $9500 BT, 90% utilization! But took the offer of 4.9% interest with $0 fee. I paid $6k back before the statement cut so it wouldn't crater my Fico score, and then paid the rest back the next month and hit the CLI button - $4500 CLI, raising it to $15k CL. Well worth the couple bucks of interest.

Message 24 of 28
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Theres some ancedotal datapoints of TU FICO wanting being 640 or higher for Discover CLIs.... Also that usually is the threshold where they consider or unsecure your card.. But some cards are unsecured under 640 but thats roughly where you might get an approval for a low limit unsecured card .... But Miss Disco will be Miss Disco... and be a bit ditzy and random as to who she gives CLI to.... Theres some truth to discover wanting to be your large balance and/or your daily driver... I will personally attest to that... But like all creditors as of late.. Even Miss Disco has gotten a little less liberal with the CLIs.... Not sure if you realize APRs have gone up, and so hasn't defaults.....

At this point id keep working on your FICO scores.. You can get a real FICO score from Credit Scorecard for free which is different from DIscovers FIco... uses a different CRA.... and see where you go.. Not a fan of the hulksmash every week method.. More of the every 3 or 6 months and I hulksmash after the statement generates and/or the date Discover pulls for the score they use on your statement... 

Good luck

Youll get there eventually... even if its in AJC size bacon bits....

=)

-J

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

for those saying Discover likes big spend> I put about 20k through my 4k card per month and leave zero balance b4 the statement cuts.   Ive done this for about 2 years now every month and have received one CLI about a year and a half into having it (requesting EVERY month post statement cutting lol)

Wish I knew whats up w them not quite the fantasy CLI's I dreamed of after reading posts and deciding I needed one :-p 

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like it has already been said many times on this forum, trying to pin down Discover CLIs with spending habits is an exercise in futility, data point has been all over the place.

I started with $4k SL in April 2017, put 1k+ spending per month (general + 5% spending for cashback match), got 3 CLIs in the first 4 months (about 30 days apart) to 10k, continued the same spending pattern until the end of the cashback match period and was denied every month (9/30/17-4/30/18). Moved general spending back to my Penfed PCR in May 2018 and only put about a few hundred on the Discover per month, then CLI came on 8/22/18 and again on 10/16/18 with the same low spending level, I did almost max out on 5% Amazon ($1300) at end of Oct and got another CLI on 11/17/18, CL now sits at 15k.

I have given up on trying to figure out what makes Discover tick long ago, best to just focus on maximizing rewards and let CLIs fall where it may.

Message 27 of 28
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.  There hasn't been a CLI approval so the DD wouldn't work.  If I understand correctly you need to get an approval via online and then call in for a second attempt?  The limit is only $200 so you can't really be a "big spender" with a limit like that.  We will have to start spending more on the card thru the month.  I hesitate to call in and get a HP.  There are only a couple on his report but I don't want to rack 'em up when we are going to apply for a mortgage in a few short months.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.