Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Card Issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured Card Issues

So I tried the other day to apply for a Discover IT Secured Card and had to wait a few days before they sent me an email directing me to a link to complete the app to deposit the $200 to complete it and that was all I had to do (according to the email).

I had to upload documents for proof of address and a photo of my social security card (no problems there). However, there was some quirks with this. Their page states it accepts documents up to 3 megabytes in size but it just kept failing to upload saying it was too big. One was a pdf and around 1.4 megabytes. I had to shrink both the photo of my social (png to jpeg) and managed to finesse the pdf file to acceptable size (which seems to be around 300k).

After playing those games and letting their site login to my bank account to verify it so they can withdraw the $200  I was met with yet again a 5-7 day wait message.

I got sick with meniere's disease about 10 years ago so I closed all my cards and haven't attempted to open any credit lines until now (been feeling better for about 2 years).  So I really don't have a credit history anymore, hence my attempt to re-establish with a secured card. I have to say, it'll be pretty depressing to get denied for a secured card which seems to be the way this is headed even though I have money saved and showed proof of that. When I try to check my app status it just brings me up to the same page that asks for my proof of address. So not sure what's up with that.  

For a newcomer like me it seems like Discover's site is buggy and their emails lie, so not even sure I'm wanting it anymore. Anyone else go through a headache to sign up for a secured card?  And yea I know I could call them and figure out what the issue is, but at this point, I feel like they're jerking me around and I'd rather get declined over email since it seems it's headed that way anyway. FAKO? score is 526 btw.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Secured Card Issues

I know we don't like to use our PHONES as a device to make calls with anymore since they do all these things like surf the web, text, take pictures, and so on.  Just give them a call and they'll work with you on any issues opening the account.  It's very worthwhile to get in with Disco in the long run and you may consider putting in more than $200 just so you can use it for more than netflix each month.  There are people here that have been DENIED even the secured card... so, you're worthy in their eyes and with them being somewhat picky about who they let into the club it's a good sign of the future to come.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks for telling me that. I was under the evidently false impression that their secure card wasn't all that difficult to obtain.  I guess my main gripe is that their email said "We'd love to send you your card just setup your bank and submit your deposit here and then you're all set!" -- I'm paraphrasing a bit but the "We'd love to" bit is definitely in it. And then of course I find out that that wasn't really the case. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as an FYI it is about a two week process from apping to getting the secured card from Discover. They do like to wait 5+ business days from taking the deposit to make sure you bank isn't going to try and claw the funds back.

Most people they get denied do not get asked to provide bank account info. If you got to that stage you should be good to go unless their is an issue with verifying the bank info and the deposit. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can go on creditscorecard.com (owned by Discover) and they will provide you with a free FICO score which should give you more input into where you stand with them. I would say about 560+ will get an approval.

Capital One will let anyone in even in the 400's. (Not including people who have burned them).
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

re: creditscorecard.com

"Sorry, but we're unable to provide a credit scorecard for you at this time.

Information you entered doesn't match any records from our credit information provider, Experian. If you had a recent name or address change, this could be why.
You are still new to credit and have not established a credit history yet."

This has been typical, but I get it no problem if I pay for my FICO. Credit Sesame and Quizzle can pull up my report though (and it isn't blank).

Message 6 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

re: creditscorecard.com

"Sorry, but we're unable to provide a credit scorecard for you at this time.

Information you entered doesn't match any records from our credit information provider, Experian. If you had a recent name or address change, this could be why.
You are still new to credit and have not established a credit history yet."

This has been typical, but I get it no problem if I pay for my FICO. Credit Sesame and Quizzle can pull up my report though (and it isn't blank).

These 2 are TU scores.  It's possible you have gone to a no score on EX.  Just have to get something reporting again and give it a few months before it shows up.  It's going to be a process to get your scores up and running again.  Just have some patience and it will come with time.

Message 7 of 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I tried the other day to apply for a Discover IT Secured Card and had to wait a few days before they sent me an email directing me to a link to complete the app to deposit the $200 to complete it and that was all I had to do (according to the email).

I had to upload documents for proof of address and a photo of my social security card (no problems there). However, there was some quirks with this. Their page states it accepts documents up to 3 megabytes in size but it just kept failing to upload saying it was too big. One was a pdf and around 1.4 megabytes. I had to shrink both the photo of my social (png to jpeg) and managed to finesse the pdf file to acceptable size (which seems to be around 300k).

After playing those games and letting their site login to my bank account to verify it so they can withdraw the $200  I was met with yet again a 5-7 day wait message.

I got sick with meniere's disease about 10 years ago so I closed all my cards and haven't attempted to open any credit lines until now (been feeling better for about 2 years).  So I really don't have a credit history anymore, hence my attempt to re-establish with a secured card. I have to say, it'll be pretty depressing to get denied for a secured card which seems to be the way this is headed even though I have money saved and showed proof of that. When I try to check my app status it just brings me up to the same page that asks for my proof of address. So not sure what's up with that.  

For a newcomer like me it seems like Discover's site is buggy and their emails lie, so not even sure I'm wanting it anymore. Anyone else go through a headache to sign up for a secured card?  And yea I know I could call them and figure out what the issue is, but at this point, I feel like they're jerking me around and I'd rather get declined over email since it seems it's headed that way anyway. FAKO? score is 526 btw.

Discovers site for secured may be buggy.. but it looks like you got an offer with barely/no score showing.. hence the extra hoops with verification...

(sorry FAKOs have some no score voodoo and are called FAKEohs for a reason)

They may have even used an alternate score to open this... which they only sometimes do for student accounts... 

Gonna also say that secured cards tend to have a few additional steps that unsecured dont sometimes..  Also discover in the grand scheme of things is relatively new to providing secured cards... and has changed the process up a bit since they started... im thinking its only in the past 2+ years... weve seen secured discovers...

They aren't jerking you around, just a little closer look for verification,  id keep an eye out for them pulling the money out of your account for the deposit....

They wouldnt have asked you for this info if they were going to deny you outright.

BTW your score is LOW and you might also want to go to the rebuilders forum, and even consider a Secure Share Loan from Alliant... 

Honestly its worth the wait... secured cards that graduate and arent a complete crummy deal are a bit rare...

Know it sucks but you might also want to PICK UP THE PHONE and call Discover.. their phone reps are pretty nice.. and its US based...

Keep us informed

-J

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's always frustrating not getting the instant approval, I can certainly understand your disappointment. That being said, bite the bullet, jump through the hoops and it will pay off well. Discover and B of A are one of the very few that will convert your card to a non secured account and refund your deposit. Most secured cards make you close the account to get your deposit returned and then you'll normally take a hit to your scores because more times than not, you are closing out one of your oldest accounts. Manage your card right and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called them today and a few minutes later got approved. Thanks all for talking some sense into me. They were extremely nice and friendly and the issue was simply a matter of telling them a prior address to help confirm my identity since I have a lack of history.  

My gut tells me I would've never been approved if I didn't call them.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.