Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover pre-approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover pre-approved

I tried the Discover pre-qualify, and this is what came back. It says pre-APPROVED. Does that mean it is nearly guaranteed to get a new card? If so, would it be a hard pull, or maybe just a soft pull? 

Terms are the same for all, 0% for 14 months,  then 20.99% fixed. Is that decent or at least not horrible? Would any one be a standout over the others?

Screenshot_20210228-024600_Chrome.jpg

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover pre-approved

Discover pre-approvals are usually pretty solid. It would be an HP to apply. 

Message 2 of 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

+1. Disco is never a SP, but should only cost you 1 HP. Nothing is ever 100% certain, but as was stated their pre-approvals are pretty trustworthy. They're a good lender to have, and potential for growth after your first year with your card.  

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know they are pretty solid on pre approvals.

I do already have a Discover.  First got it mid 2018, with a limit of $600. Took almost 2 years before they would give me a CLI. Its grown since then, and is currently at $2300. 

I am just hoping that as my credit has improved,  I could get a card with a much better starting SL, better terms, and better benefits. 

Message 4 of 6
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good to know they are pretty solid on pre approvals.

I do already have a Discover.  First got it mid 2018, with a limit of $600. Took almost 2 years before they would give me a CLI. Its grown since then, and is currently at $2300. 

I am just hoping that as my credit has improved,  I could get a card with a much better starting SL, better terms, and better benefits. 

That APR looks pretty high. Adding another card does not always equate to a better approval. Not trying to rain on anyone's Disco parade, just being realistic. Sometimes they give more generous limits on the second card, or you may end up with a $500 SL and a 4506T request. They're an odd duck sometimes. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I don't expect anything is a given.  Discover is def odd, they were with CLI for me. Having done some reading, it seems not uncommon for them to get you a starter during a rebuild and it just is never meant to grow much.  But then after improving you can be eligible for another, better card. Figured that isn't be the case with me.

I also did pre-qualify with AMEX. A few weeks ago they had cards that they offered.  Delta Sky Miles, a cash magnet,  and something else. Now today it is Gold charge with PoT, a green charge, and Hilton Honors. These seem like better cards than before, so I feel like I  am improving 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.