cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover requiring access to tax returns?

tag
Times
New Contributor

Re: Discover requiring access to tax returns?

Curious if you dont mind, are you high income? As that is the only time I heard of such request.

But yeah, plenty fish in the sea so not wanting to comply isnt that big of a deal imo best wishes on the results

Credit score: 785~ | Goal: 800~

Credit Cards:
Tomo Credit: $6k
Amex prime business: $34k
x1 $18k

Debit cards:
Cash app & Target red debit card

Goal cards:
Amex gold biz & Amex platinum personal

Dream card:
Amex black card
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if high income needed to be verified but I'm thinking that's the reason. I had the same thing happen to me.

Message 12 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

High income could be a factor but it's also rooted in their ability to estimate (or validate via a 3rd party service) with a high degree of confidence your income within a certain range.  If they can't, or if there is a wide enough gap between what they estimate and what you report they may respond with a 4506-C request.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 14 of 21
CreditAngel
Valued Member

@jrwa81 wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.  I was pre-approved for three different Discover cards tonight, so I selected the cash back card.  It then asked me to upload some documents to verify my identity (a recent bank statement and a copy of my SS card and photo ID), which I thought was a bit strange since no other credit card company has ever asked for any of this,  but I complied and uploaded them.  I then went on the Discover chat to ensure that they had received my documents.   The representative I chatted with went to check and then she came back a few minutes later and asked if I've filed tax returns in the past two years.  I said yes, of course I have.  She then said that they would be emailing me a link from Equifax in the next few days to allow them access to my tax returns.

Does this seem a bit strange to anyone else?  I've had many different credit cards over the past 22 years of my adult life and not a single one of them has ever asked for access to my IRS tax returns.  This just seems extremely intrusive to me.  I asked the representative why they needed this, but she either would not or could not give me an explanation and simply apologized for the "inconvenience."  I've never been a Discover customer before, so I'm completely clueless.  Is this the norm for them?  Can anyone explain to me why they would need access to my tax returns?  My goodness, I already provided them my last month's bank statement as well as a copy of my driver's license and social security card.  What else could they possibly need?  You'd think I was applying for a mortgage with everything they are asking for just for a simple credit card! 

Any updates on Discover card? Im considering pulling the trigger @jrwa81 

Message 15 of 21
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It looks strange that they did HP across all three bureaus. It is not a mortgage.

I personally do not submit any CC application that needs 3 HPs for only one CC. Providing access to the online tax profile is not recommended to any place and for any reason. You may consider dropping the application and seek CC from the other places, if you can have other options.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 16 of 21
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

It looks strange that they did HP across all three bureaus. It is not a mortgage.

I personally do not submit any CC application that needs 3 HPs for only one CC. Providing access to the online tax profile is not recommended to any place and for any reason. You may consider dropping the application and seek CC from the other places, if you can have other options.

@xenon3030  I agree about not wanting 3 HPs for 1 CC that's just too much for me personally now that my knowledge of Hps and Inquiries has increased.

No more Cap1s for me. 

Also This is the first time I have read about Discover doing 3 HPs for an application.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 17 of 21
magixnite
Contributor

Discover closed my cards….and then I got them reopened!

So here's the story!

I had applied for discover Miles card and it was approved. However, they later wanted to do a income verification with them IRS. Here’s the thing: I’m a college student without income and no student loans or anything. I did file for $0 income tax last year and that’s what they saw. I show household income on my accounts as all my family members are authorized users and they all use my cards.

Later on they requested for a notary and 3 months of bank statements within 14 days. I took my time with this and got the documents notarized at a local pharmacy as my local bank branch didn’t offer notary service. Apparently, discover has an approved list of who they accept notarized documents from and so my first attempt was rejected. They ended up not only closing my new miles card but also my first ever discover credit card that I have had for over 2+ years now.

I was mortified. Mainly because they just closed my oldest credit account. I called customer service multiple times and tried to get the situation escalated (even talked to a supervisor) but they all said that they understood my situation and pass along the feedback but the account cannot be re-opened again.

So I wasn’t ready to give up and did some research. I went ahead and wrote a semi-lengthy email to the ceo of disocver and was instantly forward to the advocacy department and they opened an investigation. I went ahead and called their number and got more info. Apparently they had to have a meeting to review my account and make a decision on what they want to do with it. After two weeks I revived a call saying they decided if I redid the notary then they will make a final decision. The lady also explained to me for the first time why my notary was rejected as other representatives before just told me they couldn't verify it and didn't want to explain further then that. However this person told me they have a approved list and my safest bet is either a bank or UPS.

I went ahead and took a week to figure out what bank did a notary in my city for free and keep in mind this was all new to me so I was really confused what a notary even was in the beginning. I later submitted the documents and one week later they re-opened both of my accounts.

I’m sharing this info for people who may have gotten their discover accounts closed and feel wronged by the decision. You can always contact the executive offices for one last chance.

Wishlist: Chase Freedom Unlimited, AMEX Everyday Card

Message 18 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover closed my cards….and then I got them reopened!

@magixnite wrote:

So here's the story!

I had applied for discover Miles card and it was approved. However, they later wanted to do a income verification with them IRS. Here’s the thing: I’m a college student without income and no student loans or anything. I did file for $0 income tax last year and that’s what they saw. I show household income on my accounts as all my family members are authorized users and they all use my cards.

Later on they requested for a notary and 3 months of bank statements within 14 days. I took my time with this and got the documents notarized at a local pharmacy as my local bank branch didn’t offer notary service. Apparently, discover has an approved list of who they accept notarized documents from and so my first attempt was rejected. They ended up not only closing my new miles card but also my first ever discover credit card that I have had for over 2+ years now.

I was mortified. Mainly because they just closed my oldest credit account. I called customer service multiple times and tried to get the situation escalated (even talked to a supervisor) but they all said that they understood my situation and pass along the feedback but the account cannot be re-opened again.

So I wasn’t ready to give up and did some research. I went ahead and wrote a semi-lengthy email to the ceo of disocver and was instantly forward to the advocacy department and they opened an investigation. I went ahead and called their number and got more info. Apparently they had to have a meeting to review my account and make a decision on what they want to do with it. After two weeks I revived a call saying they decided if I redid the notary then they will make a final decision. The lady also explained to me for the first time why my notary was rejected as other representatives before just told me they couldn't verify it and didn't want to explain further then that. However this person told me they have a approved list and my safest bet is either a bank or UPS.

I went ahead and took a week to figure out what bank did a notary in my city for free and keep in mind this was all new to me so I was really confused what a notary even was in the beginning. I later submitted the documents and one week later they re-opened both of my accounts.

I’m sharing this info for people who may have gotten their discover accounts closed and feel wronged by the decision. You can always contact the executive offices for one last chance.

Glad to hear the outcome worked out in your favor.

Also, a takeaway from your post/comment "I took my time with this and got the documents notarized at a local pharmacy"... When issues like these arise, don't take your time. Given staffing issues everywhere (including service centers) and potential processing delays, you want to act as quickly as practical if you value your relationship with that particular institution.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover closed my cards….and then I got them reopened!

I've had a Discover $200 secured card for 4 years. It's never over the limit.  After a dozen threatening emails the last 3 months I get one today saying they closed my account for not sending my tax returns. For a $200 secured account!!!  What the hell?  I doubt I'll get my $200 back either.  Madness.  

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.