cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do personal loans count towards Chase's 5/24 rule?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do personal loans count towards Chase's 5/24 rule?

Question in the title.  Yet another Chase 5/24 question Smiley Happy I searched but wasn't able to find anything that specifically mentions whether personal loan accounts count towards the 5/24 rule.  

Also, does the 5/24 apply to the Amazon Prime Rewards Signature card?  I believe I have seen that it does not in the past, but I know that I could be terribly wrong!

Anyone able to shed some light for me?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do personal loans count towards Chase's 5/24 rule?

Yes they do as you are seeking credit

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase Amazon Prime VISA is supposedly not subject to 5/24 per basically all of the top credit/points sites such as Doctors of Credit, The Points Guy, Boarding Area, etc.

As there’s no definitive guide from Chase, that’s all we have to go on. Also, there are a lot of data points of folks being approved for it far beyond 5/24. I wish they were more clear on this. It’d save us a lot of trouble.

I think you’ll be fine should you apply and meet the other criteria.
Message 3 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't read his whole post.. I agree the amazon visa by chase isn't part of the 5/24 rule.  I just read the portion about personal loan being part of the 5/24 rule which it does count again it.  Certain cards are counted against the 5/24 rule and others aren't the chase amazon card isn't one of those that count against the 5/24 rule.  Thanks for catching that being the poster above me.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you both for the feedback. Exactly what I’d been thinking.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

RE: 5/24 rule.

I had 4 ccs and one loan reporting as secured. I was approved for a $2500 FU with no problem and a weak profile (650s)
Message 6 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I didn't read his whole post.. I agree the amazon visa by chase isn't part of the 5/24 rule.  I just read the portion about personal loan being part of the 5/24 rule which it does count again it.  Certain cards are counted against the 5/24 rule and others aren't the chase amazon card isn't one of those that count against the 5/24 rule.  Thanks for catching that being the poster above me.

The Chase AARP card also isn't supposed to be subject to Chase's 5/24 rule, but I was recently turned down for too many inquiries (7, EX), and too many new accounts.  3 new CCs since April, new Home Equity LOC in August, and new car loans in Sept & Oct. - bought a car in Sept & originally went with a local credit union but transferred it to DCU in Oct. for a better rate & terms.

So yeah, even it a Chase card isn't subject to 5/24 they still don't like a lot of new credit.

Message 7 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

The Chase AARP card also isn't supposed to be subject to Chase's 5/24 rule, but I was recently turned down for too many inquiries (7, EX), and too many new accounts.  3 new CCs since April, new Home Equity LOC in August, and new car loans in Sept & Oct. - bought a car in Sept & originally went with a local credit union but transferred it to DCU in Oct. for a better rate & terms.

So yeah, even it a Chase card isn't subject to 5/24 they still don't like a lot of new credit.

Agree with your statement although an exisiting relationship with chase certainly doesn't hurt Smiley Happy.. Have yet to be turned down for a chase card I have applied for since the 5/24 rule went into effect, granted none of them were the true 5/24 cards

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did the OP end up applying?
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not end up applying for now.  I was at 5/25 and was entertaining the thought of reaching for the Amazon Prime Signature Card but opted to hold off for now.  I went ahead and got the Citi Simplicity to simply BT my remaining AMEX Delta Gold balance for 0% APR for 21 months in order to just save myself some money in the long run.  This put me at 6/24, so I'm going to garden until two new accounts drop off in May 2018 and then probably spring for the CSP around mid-year.  

Even though the Amazon Prime Signature isn't subject to the 5/24 from the sound of it, I haven't made my decision between that or the Prime Store Card (since it has special financing options that the Chase card does not).  I shop on Amazon a lot, but I also have Discover IT and Chase Freedom Unlimited, so a new cash back card isn't a huge priority of mine at this point in time. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.