cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Synchrony update a CLI mid-cycle? CLI requests on other cards?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Does Synchrony update a CLI mid-cycle? CLI requests on other cards?

Forgot to ask.. 

I know syncrony would update mid month if there is a purchase made, would they do the same if there is a CLI after they have already reported?

I think I will use this momentum to request CLI on my other cards to see if they work with me. 

I have 2 Discover cards zero balance.

2  Cap One zero balance. 

2 US bank (One under 40%)

Citi AA zero balance

2 Wells Fargo zero balances 

2 Amex zero bal  

Do all of these do soft pulls and would I need to call on this or just do it online would suffice?

When you have 2 cards, do you request CLI on both cards the same day? how do you know how much to ask for ?

On Amex I moved available credit from one to the other so, should I ask an increase on the one that was left with little available credit only?

Any insight on this is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Re: Does Synchrony update a CLI mid-cycle? CLI requests on other cards?

They have not updated my reports yet to reflect my CLIs so suspect it is just when they update after your statement posts.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 2 of 21
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

CLI advise when scores are at my best

I am planning to get some CLI on some of my existing cards and was looking for some input if that's ok. 

I have Fico scores close to 800 and overal util at around 11% (only 2 cards have a balance and both are under 50%)

Here is what I have that I am planning CLI for and would love to hear suggestions on what to do when:

1) You have 2 cards with the same creditor for example.

If they were to deny a CLI on one, should I attempt the second card with the same issuer?

2) Do all of these do soft pulls 

3) Would I need to call them for better chances or just do it online would suffice? (I called lowe's card and the more than doubled my CL today thanks to a tip from Fin, so I wonder if calling is a thing for these other creditos as well)

I have 2 Discover cards zero balance. 

2  Cap One quicksilvers with zero balance. 

2 US bank (One under 40%)

Citi AA zero balance

2 Wells Fargo zero balances 

2 Amex zero bal  (On the amex I have a 26k limit and the other 1k since I moved the credit to the larger one more than a year ago)

Message 3 of 21
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Re: CLI advise when scores are at my best

@Superduper2014 wrote:

I am planning to get some CLI on some of my existing cards and was looking for some input if that's ok. 

I have Fico scores close to 800 and overal util at around 11% (only 2 cards have a balance and both are under 50%)

Here is what I have that I am planning CLI for and would love to hear suggestions on what to do when:

If they were to deny a CLI on one, should I attempt the second card with the same issuer?

It depends on the issuer.  As has been mentioned, you want to tread lightly with Synchrony... rumor has it that too many CLI requests too close together could possibly raise red flags and could lead to accounts being shut down.  However, most of th3 reports tend to be with people with 50k CLs across all cards... however YMMV.

Cap1   -- have at it.  One card may not be eligible for a CLI because it is too new or is bucketed where others have more growth potential.

Same, I believe, with Disco and USBank...

All are soft pulls if done through the website.  USBank does say that CLIs could result in a HP but I haven't experienced it since I've only attempted online.  Freeze your reports if you want to be sure,

2) Do all of these do soft pulls 

Again, depends on the issuer.  See above.

3) Would I need to call them for better chances or just do it online would suffice? (I called lowe's card and the more than doubled my CL today thanks to a tip from Fin, so I wonder if calling is a thing for these other creditos as well)

Not sure if calling increases your odds.  I know with synchrony, I kept getting shot down regardless of phone, chat, or smacking the LUV button.  Sometimes, as I said with USBank or Navy, if you call, they may be more inclined to do a hard pull.

I have 2 Discover cards zero balance. -- Soft Pull

2  Cap One quicksilvers with zero balance. -- Soft Pull

2 US bank (One under 40%) -- Website has been soft pull for me but CSRs and reports here have indicated that it could be Hard Pull

Citi AA zero balance -- I'm told this is soft pull but someone who actually has the card would need to confirm 

2 Wells Fargo zero balances -- Don't have any experience with them.

2 Amex zero bal  (On the amex I have a 26k limit and the other 1k since I moved the credit to the larger one more than a year ago) -Don't have Amex so not sure.  I WANT to say I read this is a hard pull based on reading but that's just a guess.

Hope this helps some.  You definitely have a better profile and scores than I do so can't speak to all the cards.  I might let Synchrony rest since you just got a CLI.  Bang on Disco and Cap1.  Freeze you credit reports and hit US bank.  Let someone else advise you about Citi, Wells Fargo , and AMEX.

GOOD LUCK!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 4 of 21
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

W/ regards to Amex, you can request up to 3x your CL on one card either 181 days from your previously granted CLI request or 91 days from a CLI denial for anything other than asking too soon.  It should be an SP, and CLI approval or denial resets the clock across all your Amex cards.  If requesting on a card w/ a CL higher than ~$25k-$30k, Amex may ask for IV for increases of > $5k.  You can read more about it in this thread.  Imo, prly your best bet w/ Amex w/ what you have would be to request a CLI on your $26k card to $31k and then move limit back to the $1k card, if that's where you want it to be.  I can't remember whether reallocating limits resets the CLI clock with them or not.

Message 5 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CLI advise when scores are at my best

@Superduper2014 wrote:

If they were to deny a CLI on one, should I attempt the second card with the same issuer?  As mentioned upthread, if the issuer is SYNCB, tread carefully.  Especially if you were approved for a fairly substantial CLI on that card recently.  Let the other SYNCB cards rest.

2) Do all of these do soft pulls - SYNCB, yes.  All other lenders, it depends.

3) Would I need to call them for better chances or just do it online would suffice? (I called lowe's card and the more than doubled my CL today thanks to a tip from Fin, so I wonder if calling is a thing for these other creditos as well)  For your Lowe's card (or any SYNCB account with a CL of $10K or greater), Credit Solutions is recommended.  Submitting it online would likely reject the CLI request since it appears to cap around $10K.  When you contact C/S, they SP real-time for the CLI review.

I have 2 Discover cards zero balance.  CLI requests are SP.  Results are all over the place so temper expectations.

2  Cap One quicksilvers with zero balance. CLI's are SP.  If you're not cycling or using these cards substantially every month(more than 50% of the CL), not much fruit will yield, if at all.

2 US bank (One under 40%)   Can be SP or HP, it depends. The community has reported both outcomes.

Citi AA zero balance  If your account displays that no CR will be used for the CLI request, then it's SP.  No guarantees on the CLI, even if it's SP.  Don't expect anything substantial either, most Citi CLIs are still constrained.

2 Wells Fargo zero balances  You would need to call them and see whether your account has any offers for a SP CLI.  If none, then it's HP if you wish to proceed.

2 Amex zero bal  (On the amex I have a 26k limit and the other 1k since I moved the credit to the larger one more than a year ago).  SP for CLI requests.  You can request 3x the amount, but some profiles that cross beyond $35K-$40K (or higher) -- not always and YEMV -- have reported a prompt for Income Verification (IV).

Message 6 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Slabenstein wrote:

W/ regards to Amex, you can request up to 3x your CL on one card either 181 days from your previously granted CLI request or 91 days from a CLI denial for anything other than asking too soon.  It should be an SP, and CLI approval or denial resets the clock across all your Amex cards.  If requesting on a card w/ a CL higher than ~$25k-$30k, Amex may ask for IV for increases of > $5k.  You can read more about it in this thread.  Imo, prly your best bet w/ Amex w/ what you have would be to request a CLI on your $26k card to $31k and then move limit back to the $1k card, if that's where you want it to be.  I can't remember whether reallocating limits resets the CLI clock with them or not.

AmEx CL reallocations do not reset the CLI clock.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes sycnhrony does do this but only sometimes in my experience. I have the Amazon and Lowe's and over the years with clis on each card they would indeed update it mid cycle. They are a very random lender, honestly with them it all depends how the ceo feels that day lol 

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never had any of my Synchrony Cards update mid-cycle. I have 6 active Synchrony cards and have made purchases, paid off cards, and received CLIs mid-cycle and have never had anything report until the usual reporting date. Definitely a YMMV situation.

Message 9 of 21
RASULL12
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never had any of my Synchrony Cards update mid-cycle. I have 6 active Synchrony cards and have made purchases, paid off cards, and received CLIs mid-cycle and have never had anything report until the usual reporting date. Definitely a YMMV situation.

I just got my first sync card a Verizon visa card and it updates every time I make a purchase or a payment.  It's very frustrating and makes you not want to use it for any large purchase. Although any point loss will come back after a payment I guess. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.