Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX 685 Score Good Enough for AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX 685 Score Good Enough for AMEX?

I currently don't have an AMEX card and would love to get one to establish and build a relationship with them. I decided to see if I'm prequalifed for anything and 3 popped up with them being AMEX Cash Magnet, AMEX Everyday, and Gold Delta SkyMiles. I was looking at the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday because of the 3% Groceries and 2% Gas, me and my fiance would primarly use it on those categories or maybe AMEX has better cards with those categories.

I pay all my credit cards in full so if a charge card is needed to get higher benefits I would do it.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EX 685 Score Good Enough for AMEX?

An Experian FICO 8 score of 685 is sufficient to qualify for an Amex card; the usual cutoff point is 670 where your credit rating changes from Fair to Good.
Amex pre-qualifications are usually solid so you should have no problem getting approved. Telhe starting limit may be on the lower end but you can request a CLI after 61 days.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I decided to apply for the BCE card and was denied, reason being was my credit score actually being EQ 692. Isn't that typically high enough for that credit card or is the system bugged?

Message 3 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Keep in mind that 2 people with vastly different credit profiles can have the identical FICO 8 score. A EX FICO 8 score of 692 infers that your profile is strong enough for likely approval but there obviously something specific to yours that the automated system did not like..

Once you get the official denial you should call and recon,  it'll get reviewed by an underwriter.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I decided to apply for the BCE card and was denied, reason being was my credit score actually being EQ 692. Isn't that typically high enough for that credit card or is the system bugged?

Sorry OP for the decline. Usually they give more than one reason. Was this the only reason given?

Also, sometimes we forget that the entire credit profile matters and DTI too—not just score alone. So can you give us some DPs so we can help you decipher the cause. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry OP for the decline. Usually they give more than one reason. Was this the only reason given?

Also, sometimes we forget that the entire credit profile matters and DTI too—not just score alone. So can you give us some DPs so we can help you decipher the cause. 

The reason I'm is 

The number of accounts that have or had a delinquency. - My EX report is squeaky clean, nothing has been late. 

The ratio of loan balances to the loan amounts is too high. - Not exactly sure?

The length of time your accounts have been established. - I can see this being the reason for denial

There are too many credit inquiries on your report in the last 12 months. - I can see this as well because I was car rate shopping in Feburary 2019

Chase Freedom $0 / $500 I opened in July 2019

Capital One QS1 $0 / 500 I opened January 2019

Discover Cash Back $0 / $2000 I opened January 2019

Apple Credit Card (not reported, no HP): $0 / $5000

Amazon Store Card $0 / $3000 I opened July 2019

RBFCU Cash Rewards $10 / $3000 - PAID OFF I opened May 2019

Fingerhut $50 / $1500 - PAID OFF I opened July 2017

The paid off accounts haven't reported yet which I don't know if they can internally see it's already paid off or not. The automated system when I called to check my application status because I was attempting to do the recon, the system said reason being my score was too low. :0

Message 6 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Weitd, you have what seems a prime thin file that often times Amex likes to approve. Garden 6 months and let all your new accounts age you most likely will see different results.
Message 7 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason I'm is 

The number of accounts that have or had a delinquency. - My EX report is squeaky clean, nothing has been late. 

The ratio of loan balances to the loan amounts is too high. - Not exactly sure?

The length of time your accounts have been established. - I can see this being the reason for denial

There are too many credit inquiries on your report in the last 12 months. - I can see this as well because I was car rate shopping in Feburary 2019

Chase Freedom $0 / $500 I opened in July 2019

Capital One QS1 $0 / 500 I opened January 2019

Discover Cash Back $0 / $2000 I opened January 2019

Apple Credit Card (not reported, no HP): $0 / $5000

Amazon Store Card $0 / $3000 I opened July 2019

RBFCU Cash Rewards $10 / $3000 - PAID OFF I opened May 2019

Fingerhut $50 / $1500 - PAID OFF I opened July 2017

The paid off accounts haven't reported yet which I don't know if they can internally see it's already paid off or not. The automated system when I called to check my application status because I was attempting to do the recon, the system said reason being my score was too low. :0

Yep, score alone never tells the whole story. That is a lot of new accounts in 2019. IMHO, I think you should garden for 6-12 months, and then reapply. Also, remember to keep a minimum of 6 mos betwen CC applications. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an update

I called the recon line, he didn't seem like much help but excellent customer service. He asked if I wanted to a place a note on why I deserve it. I gave him the reason then he said wait 2-5 business days for the underwriters decision. So I checked after I woke up and seen a big fat denial, I called to ask for the reason why they said "my score is too low for this type of credit card, consider the Everyday AMEX." I asked so it's not for the recent openings or inquiries? He said that could play a factor but what I'm seeing its just the score isn't high enough to qualify.

Message 9 of 21
shoegal
Valued Contributor

I think the denial reason is this: “The ratio of loan balances to the loan amounts is too high.

If you just got a vehicle, your DTI might be too high.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.