cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Chase cardholder do in need to unfreeze for new card?

tag
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Existing Chase cardholder do in need to unfreeze for new card?

I currently have the Chase Freedom card and thinking of applying for the Freedom Flex. There isn't a pre-approval for that card when I sign in to my account.

There is the option to click on the "Sign in to apply faster" when outside my account on the Chase website. It looks like it's a hard pull, but not sure if I need to unfreeze my credit or not. I've heard as along as you already have an account with a creditor that you don't need to unfreeze your credit for them to do any pulls (soft or hard)

Is that right?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Existing Chase cardholder do in need to unfreeze for new card?

@Yankee2 wrote:

I currently have the Chase Freedom card and thinking of applying for the Freedom Flex. There isn't a pre-approval for that card when I sign in to my account.

There is the option to click on the "Sign in to apply faster" when outside my account on the Chase website. It looks like it's a hard pull, but not sure if I need to unfreeze my credit or not. I've heard as along as you already have an account with a creditor that you don't need to unfreeze your credit for them to do any pulls (soft or hard)

Is that right?

A creditor can SP through a freeze but not a HP.

Chase HP for everything so if you want a new chase card you have to unfreeze. 

Expect 2 HP on random CRA and consider yourself lucky if they only pull 1.

Also remember chase has 5/24 rule.

Message 2 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@dragontears wrote:

@Yankee2 wrote:

Is that right?

A creditor can SP through a freeze but not a HP.

Chase HP for everything so if you want a new chase card you have to unfreeze. 

Expect 2 HP on random CRA and consider yourself lucky if they only pull 1.

Also remember chase has 5/24 rule.

+100

Message 3 of 8
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I was afraid of that....

As with some other posts I've read I'm also having the App jitters... is it app worth it. 

I spend about $1,200- $1,500 a month or so on groceries every month so the 5% on the CFF looks very good to me.

Current cards I have (that make any difference regarding this) are..

AMEX BCP- 6% ($6,000 per year)

Cap 1 Savor- (grandfathered, no AF) 2% unlimited groceries

Discover- 5% up to $1,500 in one quarter

What I normally do is spread out my AMEX spend througout the year so I don't have to worry about CLD, (I do $500 a month) The rest is either the discover on it's quarter or the Savor.

Due to Covid, we do not do any resturants or takeout, so grocery spend has been the only use for the Savor card. Due to wanting to keep the 4% on resturants with no AF, I want to make sure I keep usage on it. (also with Cap 1's jitters, I would also like to keep my 10k CL)

If I get the Flex, there is no need for the Savior (I don't see me going to resturants for awhile yet...)

I also have a mental thing about my credit accounts, and have an issue of my youngest account going back to 0.. Smiley Tongue  

CARDYEARS
Kohls21.42
Discover 13.67
Bank of America7.67
Chase 3.33
Capital One3.33
American Express3.33
Citi Bank1.83
AVERAGE7.80

Is the app worth it? Reduced use could affect the Savior. So I don't know if $200 SUB and one year of 5% groceries are worth it.

I'm 3/24, 0/12 and 2/24, 0/12 for inquires.  Credit score is 815ish.  So I don't think there is a chance about a denial.

Any opinions are welcome...

And yes, I'm thinking WAAAAYYYY to much into this.... Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If it were me I'd pull the trigger.  Given your monthly spend on groceries, when you account for the $200 SUB and the difference in cashback having the Flex should easily bring you at least $500 in additional value over the next 12 months vs. the cards you currently hold, and after 12 months an additional $30-50 per month.

You can still do the $500/month grocery spend on the BCP and put everything else on the Flex.

If you aren't doing significant spend now on restaurants and takeout that isn't likely to change very much in the forseeable future.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 8
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

Well I pulled the trigger and apped for the new card.  Shocked at the CL ($22,800) My Freedom was $10,000.

I'm guessing they look at my other card CLs when they decide on the new limit. (I have a BOA with a $27,500 limit, but that was only due to me combining 2 cards CLs when I closed one out) in the past $10k has been the norm for me.

How long do I need to wait to refreeze my credit?

Message 6 of 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Chase doesn't usually like to be highest limit card, but do consider the others you have. Once approved, its safe to freeze. Congrats.

Message 7 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval.

This tread is now closed for additional messages. Feel free to start one in approvals forum

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.