Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georgia's Own asks for REFERENCES?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Georgia's Own asks for REFERENCES?

Now I'm acquainted with old fashioned, like paper-app old fashioned. But not "please provide 3 references" old fashioned. 

I was interested in joining Georgia's Own FCU because it was formerly Georgia Telco and my being in telecom. 

But what in the world? I don't want them to bug my friends because I just want another CC. Does anyone know if they call on each app? 

14 REPLIES 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Georgia's Own asks for REFERENCES?

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I'm acquainted with old fashioned, like paper-app old fashioned. But not "please provide 3 references" old fashioned. 

I was interested in joining Georgia's Own FCU because it was formerly Georgia Telco and my being in telecom. 

But what in the world? I don't want them to bug my friends because I just want another CC. Does anyone know if they call on each app? 

Well, come on, how else are they going to know?   it's not as if there are agencies out there that record your credit history.   And personal references are absolutely secure!

Message 2 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I just had to provide 2 personal, and at least 1 banking references to buy a Lexus.

Message 3 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

It's weird to me also. Dinosaur format. Citibank wanted references for a cli for my biz card at Staples....heck no!  Then I called and they gave me a cli.  I know what you mean, bugging ppl for cc's and cli's....pass.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I just had to provide 2 personal, and at least 1 banking references to buy a Lexus.

"Does he seem like a Lexus guy? We really only want to sell to Lexus people. If he's more an Acura of Infiniti guy, and just settling on Lexus, we'd be uncomfortable selling to him". 

Message 5 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous 

This used to be a very common practice back in the day.

Some of the smaller FIs still do this.

I provided references for AOD FCU.

As well as others over the years. Not a big deal IMHO. They don't usually call your references, unless you skip town paying them. 😆

Message 6 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy 

theres oneSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Don’t be surprised when your “references” get called for late payment.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 15
hornedfrog1985
Established Member

This is what student loans companies do. Then they call and harass your friends if something goes wrong. 

Message 9 of 15
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

That's crazy. I didn't even know that was a thing. What is the person even supposed to say in the reference? Is it about the person's character? Because I wouldn't know the first thing about someone else's actual financial habits, except what they tell me. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.