Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting in with Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting in with Amex?

Thank you guys, waiting for the 1 year to come up at least is probably a pretty good idea. I may try to go for one of the charge cards to begin with, but I'm not sure as there doesn't seem to be much of a major benefit for me other than starting with Amex. 

Message 11 of 41
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

They say if you get approved for one of their charge cards you should (could) apply for one of their revolvers immediately afterwards because supposedly getting approved for a charge card means better approval odds for a revolver. You also only take 1 HP.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 41
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Amex is not BK friendly and does not seem to care even if you had a long, perfect payment hx with them and did not include their cards in the BK. I have been told that they blacklist people  for life although I have no idea if that is true. I have no interest in any of their charge cards but would not mind getting the Delta card before the current promotion expires.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 13 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@morgacj2004 wrote:

Amex is not BK friendly and does not seem to care even if you had a long, perfect payment hx with them and did not include their cards in the BK. I have been told that they blacklist people  for life although I have no idea if that is true. I have no interest in any of their charge cards but would not mind getting the Delta card before the current promotion expires.

It isn't true.

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appd the Amex Gold PRG, BCP, and Delta PLAT. I only received 1K on the BCP and 1400. on the Delta. But I was immediately able to 3x the Delta right to 4200.00 CL. I hope to 3x it again and than work on the BCP. Cap One and Chase have both been better to me with Cap One QS 5K / Venture 20K and Chase Slate 5500. / CSP 15K all initial CL's with no asking for CL increases, at least not yet. I just got them over the last 3 weeks or so.
Message 15 of 41
silverbimmer04
Regular Contributor

Hey we're you able to ask for your increase at the time of activation per phone or online ?

Message 16 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did my increase online once I received my card and activated it. I requested 5500., which was 4x's and they came back with a 3x approval instead. That's the norm with Amex. I'll just have to let it grow over the next few years.
Message 17 of 41
silverbimmer04
Regular Contributor

Ok ... Thanks,I'll try it once I receive my sky miles card .  I thought I would have to wait for 61days before requesting a CLI

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@morgacj2004 wrote:

It isn't true.

Totally untrue. Sorry, I have to mention it every time I see people say that Amex is not BK friendly. I have been approved for the ED and Delta Gold Sky Miles card in the last 60 days and my BK was only discharged in 2010.

Message 19 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@morgacj2004 wrote:

It isn't true.

Totally untrue. Sorry, I have to mention it every time I see people say that Amex is not BK friendly. I have been approved for the ED and Delta Gold Sky Miles card in the last 60 days and my BK was only discharged in 2010.

Well not totally "untrue". While Amex will approve you with prior BK, they have, and do, blacklist people. It isn't necessarily for BK, but if you declared BK and included them, they may blacklist you. Really depends on their loss. Obviously a person who cost them 1K is going to be looked at differently than a person who cost them 20K or 50K, etc... 

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.