cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide what to get or do Amex vs Cap One.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me decide what to get or do Amex vs Cap One.

I got a pre approval offer from capital one. PS Read this and the thread linked here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pre-qual-from-Amex/m-p/5245792

I couldnt log into my old account and tried for about 30 minutes. 

I know ill get the capital one card (unsecured plat) but I don't really want it and I probably can say it will never be used. I would be shocked if the Cap One card would get used even once. My card of daily choice is my debit card (go figure) or for any purchases above 25 dollars I use my dads United Explorer card and pay him back so we get the miles. The only time I see it being used (the cap one card) is somewhere I go that MC is accepted that Visa is not. Just last week I got back from Thailand and Japan and experianced a couple things that make me want to get a Citi card (the town I was in Thailand had a few stores that ONLY accepted Citigroup cards period. I showed them both my other cards and it was no bueno.) And I will be visiting Thailand often in the future (2-3 times per year for like 3 weeks each.)

So is it a good idea to apply for it (the blue card that I want) or the safer option? Also my prequal changed on amex to only cards with annual fees and higher rewards (I dont want Amex rewards I just want the blue everyday card but sadly I am no longer pre approved for it).

Experiances? Should I go ahead and apply for the amex this week is it when I want to apply. 

I really don't like the idea of taking hard pulls on ALL 3 credit bureaus from Cap One. And Amex is going to pull Experian almost for sure, since I am from Oregon. I really don't want my credit damaged because of two stupid hard pulls. I never want my credit scores to drop below 700.

Also should I get the 3B FICO scores? Is it worth the 59 bucks for a one and done check to make sure it doesn't hard pull for no reason.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me decide what to get or do Amex vs Cap One.

Get the 3B quarterly subscription for $30 then cancel.  You'll have all of your updated scores, credit monitoring for a month, and of course you have saved $30.  

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the Credit Check Total scores for $1 and cancel later that day.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 12
aircobra
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You'd have it for a month, as was stated. Get the CCT trial or even the Experian IdentityWorks trial. No reason to put out $30 when all you need is your reports and scores at the time of signup.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 5 of 12
blunderer
Established Contributor

OP-

Did you check under your credit card offers for Amex?  Sometimes the offer doesn't pop up but it may still be available to you. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the prequalified thing. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/check-for-offers/ 

Before I was prequal for the Blue Everyday and the other Blue card (and the green). Now I am approved for the Green and Premier Rewards Gold Card

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked ALL my credit scores (all 3 FICO and Vantage).

FICO 8

EX: 736

EQ: 725

TU: 754

Vantage 3.0

EX: 733

EQ: 727

TU: 733

Other Scores

EX FICO 2: 741

EX FICO Bankcard 8: 735

EX FICO 3: 747 

EX FICO Bankcard 2: 752

Junk Scores

national equivalency score 779

I think I should be okay to apply for the Amex blue card right?

Message 8 of 12
blunderer
Established Contributor

My apologies.  I misunderstood.  I thought you already had an Amex. 

I see now that you were just checking to see if you prequalified and the options has changed.  In that case if you really don't want the PRG or Green card then you could wait maybe gain a few more points on your score and see if you get offered the Blue card again?

Although, since you said you would be traveling, I would suggest thoroughly looking into the benefits of the PRG.  I believe there is no FTF, they offer a $100 credit for airline fees each year, the AF is waived the first year and they were offering a pretty decent SUB.  Also once you become an Amex account holder any future apps will more than likely be a SP and when you do get a pre-approvals you'll have a better indication that you'll probably actually get approved.  Just a thought.  Keep in mind the PRG is a charge card so has to be paid in full each month although they may over a pay over time option for a fee.  I'm not sure about that though.

Message 9 of 12
blunderer
Established Contributor

Based on your scores you should be good for the Blue.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.