Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big of a CLI should we ask BoA for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How big of a CLI should we ask BoA for?

So my SO has a Bank of America Cash Rewards card with a $700 SL. It is about to hit the 3 month mark, which means it’s going to be eligible for a CLI soon. We’ve heard they are generous with increases, but are unsure exactly how much to ask for.

Her FICO scores are all in the upper 740s, we’ve been putting moderate spend through the card (just enough to earn the SUB), and our household income is about 60k. When the time comes, she’ll have 6 months of credit history, 4 accounts in the last 6 months, and her highest limit will be at 6k.

Should we ask BoA to match her current limit, or aim higher? If we use the luv button online and aim too high, will it counter? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: How big of a CLI should we ask BoA for?

@Anonymous wrote:
So my SO has a Bank of America Cash Rewards card with a $700 SL. It is about to hit the 3 month mark, which means it’s going to be eligible for a CLI soon. We’ve heard they are generous with increases, but are unsure exactly how much to ask for.

Her FICO scores are all in the upper 740s, we’ve been putting moderate spend through the card (just enough to earn the SUB), and our household income is about 60k. When the time comes, she’ll have 6 months of credit history, 4 accounts in the last 6 months, and her highest limit will be at 6k.

Should we ask BoA to match her current limit, or aim higher? If we use the luv button online and aim too high, will it counter? Thanks in advance!

Hi!  Feel free to ask for whatever amount you want; if you get an instant approval usually that means you have not hit your limit with BOA, but don't try to ask again for 90 days or so.  BOA will counter if you asked for more than they are comfortable with lending.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think 3X the current limit is a good guideline to follow.

My Cash Rewards card started at $2,000 and 14 months later the credit limit is at $37,000.

08/23/17 - $2,000 -   647 EX FICO 8 Hard pull

11/25/17 - $5,900  -  655 TU FICO 8 Hard pull

03/26/18 - $13,000  - 702 TU FICO 8 Hard pull

07/03/18 - $23,100  - 693 TU FICO 8 Soft pull

10/05/18 - $37,000  - 751 EX FICO 8 Soft pull

All the increases were counter-offers from what I originally requested and as you can see from the first two CLIs, they came in at under 3X the previous limit.  Of course her credit scores are better than mine were, but I had a larger income so YEMV.  I use it as my daily driver so even though I actually use just a small percentage of the limit it generates lots of swipe fees.

Message 3 of 19
Malcono
Regular Contributor

Feel free to aim a bit higher.
If it's too high for BoA, they will counter with a lower limit.
Good luck!

Total Credit: $107,000Utilization: 1%AAoA: 2yrs, 4mthsAoOA: 3yrs, 1mthAoYA: 1yrs, 10mthsBaddies: 0

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go big or go home!
Message 5 of 19
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Go big or go home!

Second that!   My BOA card was only a $2,000 SL.  Until finding this forum, it stayed that way for years.  Not too long ago I called them and asked for an increased, specifically $12,000 (10k increase) and was immediately approved.  Ask for what you want, as long as your salary/history match that I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way Bank of America will give a five-digit CLI to someone with the credit profile described in the first comment.  I wish I would be proven wrong.

Message 7 of 19
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Positive thoughts! Smiley LOL  Worst that can happen is they say "Hey, we like your enthusiasm, here is half that number."

Message 8 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

100kSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 19
Lemark
Contributor

I'll say 2x or 3x current SL is good to ask for. They will counter or approve the amount you request. If you have multiple cards with BOA I'll recommend you start with the card you want the highest SL on the most e.g a card below signature of 5k to go over 5k and become signature. I just spoke with rep who said there is no HP no matter the number of cards so I requested on 3 cards and got approved for each some were 3x, 2x and inbetween. So got over 20K increase across all cards. Even though agent said no limit to request, I'll still take precaution and keep to maybe 30 day or 2 month time frame.

wellsfargoamexamexamexamexamexboaboaboa
caponechasechasewellsfargoamexchasechasechasebbyciticitidsrapplecardpncwellsfargo
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.