Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How strict is Amex currently?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How strict is Amex currently?

I applied for the Amex Cash Magnet card and it says the application needs further review and i'll get my decision within 14 days. I read on a different post that they're denying anyone with a score lower than 750 for this card, but then I would've been denied instantly right? What do you all think my odds are for being approved with a 743 Experian score? No derogatory marks, low credit utilization currently (3%), and always made payments on time, though not always in full. I filled out my information and it said I was prequalified for it so i'm hoping my chances are somewhat higher.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How strict is Amex currently?

CC applications are typically holistic and take into account other factors beside score, this is much more relevant with Amex/national bankcard applications

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CC applications are typically holistic and take into account other factors beside score, this is much more relevant with Amex/national bankcard applications

Unfortunately it doesn't matter much now. They made that decision pretty fast, was denied.

Message 3 of 19
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't matter much now. They made that decision pretty fast, was denied.

@Anonymous Never hurts to try recon. I'm not saying it will work, but it really does never hurt. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 19
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@Anonymous  that's not true about denying anyone under 750.
I was approved for the CM on June 1st with sub 700 scores and a 6 yr old bk showing so I'm not sure what's going on with them?

Message 5 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

@Anonymous  that's not true about denying anyone under 750.
I was approved for the CM on June 1st with sub 700 scores and a 6 yr old bk showing so I'm not sure what's going on with them?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It'll be interesting as the holidays approach, to see if Covid lending fears still overcome greed for increased consumer spending.

Message 7 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It'll be interesting as the holidays approach, to see if Covid lending fears still overcome greed for increased consumer spending.

@Anonymous, It could be "interesting"  to watch.

I wonder if the old saying; "lenders are more relaxed around the holidays" will ring true?

or will it be; "The lenders that stole Christmas"  Grinch-Lenders.jpg

Message 8 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, Truly Sorry for your denialSmiley Sad

Message 9 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for the denial @Anonymous 

Can you share some more DPs? I'm thinking of applying for the BCP in August. Do you currently have any Amex cards? How many inquiries / new accounts in the past 6 and 12 months?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.