cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover approval possible with a 6 year old charge off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Discover approval possible with a 6 year old charge off?

So, I know they pull Equifax and I froze that report due to the fact that I have a Wells Fargo installment loan (was a joint auto loan with my ex wife) showing as a charge off on that report with 6+ missed payments. On my TU and EXP it shows as an installment loan but doesn't note late payments- only as a negative account. This one ages off in 6 months from EXP but last fall I got denied for Discover and was told it was because of the charge off on my EQ report. Even after recon call they still won't budge. 

If I re-apply w/ my EQ frozen do I stand a chance or should I wait? I like their balance transfer offer but I don't need to grasp for the card if it's another wasted hard pull.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Discover approval possible with a 6 year old charge off?

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I know they pull Equifax and I froze that report due to the fact that I have a Wells Fargo installment loan (was a joint auto loan with my ex wife) showing as a charge off on that report with 6+ missed payments. On my TU and EXP it shows as an installment loan but doesn't note late payments- only as a negative account. This one ages off in 6 months from EXP but last fall I got denied for Discover and was told it was because of the charge off on my EQ report. Even after recon call they still won't budge. 

If I re-apply w/ my EQ frozen do I stand a chance or should I wait? I like their balance transfer offer but I don't need to grasp for the card if it's another wasted hard pull.  

Well.

Officially per MyFICO TOS I can't recommend or advocate that you freeze EQ to try to steer Discover towards a different CRA.

However...More than likely it wouldn't work anyway and they will still want that EQ pull.

@I was approved with two 6yr old C/O's and a 637 EQ FICO for $1,800 @ 0% for 6mos and 22.99% after.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never advocating that per TOS, of course, Nixon.

There was a thread not long ago from someone who made 14 recon calls and got approved after freezing EQ.Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the record: Discover pulled TU and only TU for me.  I know it's likely regional but they aren't dead set on one bureau or another.

Message 4 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

I had EQ frozen, for other reasons, when I applied for the IT and they wouldn't pull anything else. Made me thaw EQ and call back. Just FYI

not sure if the "AZ" in your name is for Arizona or not. If it is, I am also in AZ Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

not sure if the "AZ" in your name is for Arizona or not. If it is, I am also in AZ Smiley Happy

Yep, also in AZ.

Gonna say adios to Discover if they only want EQ report. I might try again once everything falls off. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.