Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohls Charge Card Approval Difficulty

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kohls Charge Card Approval Difficulty

I applied for a Kohl's charge card online after I went through the preapproval process. I was told my application was pending. Today I received mail saying they need me to send a copy of my driver's license, a copy of my social security card and proof of residency in order to get the card. My credit score is over 800 and I have never been asked for all this info for a credit card, let alone a store charge card.

Does anyone know if one can go to a Kohl's store and show them this info to confirm the card? I don't really want to send such confidential info via fax, mail or email.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Kohls Charge Card Approval Difficulty

I don't have an answer for you.

Here's an early congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You can call them and ask.

As an alternative method you can consider sending the information via USPS Certified Mail Restricted Delivery.

FWIW as many members can attest, while this practice is more commonly associated with credit unions than bank-issued credit cards (Kohl's is issued by Capital One) asking for additional information for verification purposes has become much more common over the last few months due to the uptick in fraudulent attempts to secure credit in someone else's name.   Don't take it personally.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 6
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Call Capital One and ask them

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 6
RootDet
Established Contributor

Is this your first Capital one by chance and do you have anything frozen like LN?  I had some friends be asked this kind of stuff before when capital one could not verify the identity. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a Capital One card for years and opened a bank account with them in the past few months. I called the number on the letter I received (which was Kohls, not Capital One it seems) and they said you cannot provide the info in a Kohls store, and Capital One cannot allow you to bypass the required documentation.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.