Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU App

tag
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

NFCU App

So here is the scenario, i want to app for a NFCU card. i was denied last couple months, however score has went up over 100 points since last denial. me and my wife both have accounts there and we have a joint account. our individual accounts dont see hardly any money flowing through them yet, but our joint account has direct deposits going into it. should we app seperatly to try to "double dip" the nfcu cards. or just apply jointly off our joint account?

Discover it miles 9/19 Sl 5000 | Care Credit 9/19 SL 3500 | Cap 1 QS 4/14 AU 500 | Cap 1 QS1 4/14 AU 600 | NFCU Secured 8/19 200 | NFCU CLOC 9/19 500 | NFCU auto 10/19 6.29 66k | NFCU Auto 4.9% 37k
Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU App

If your score has improved you can try again if you want. Just remember how much you have in your checking bears no weight on credit decisions. Two completely different departments.
Message 2 of 11
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
If your score has improved you can try again if you want. Just remember how much you have in your checking bears no weight on credit decisions. Two completely different departments.

Doesn't your responsible use of credit card accounts and checking accounts add to your internal NFCU credit score regardless of department you are applying for credit from?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Having a depository relationship builds/tracks internal behavioral score, but IIRC it's not going to tip the scales if credit or DTI is inadequate for UW standards.
Message 4 of 11
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@aesl1982 wrote:

So here is the scenario, i want to app for a NFCU card. i was denied last couple months, however score has went up over 100 points since last denial. me and my wife both have accounts there and we have a joint account. our individual accounts dont see hardly any money flowing through them yet, but our joint account has direct deposits going into it. should we app seperatly to try to "double dip" the nfcu cards. or just apply jointly off our joint account?

I would apply individually but you can add the other as an AU.  We have done just that and it boost both of our scores but only one gets a hard pull.  You can trade off applying.  Read the long thread here, many insights.  Even a small approval will grow if you pay in full and it will add to your NFCU internal score.  Good luck!

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 5 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@aesl1982 wrote:

Congratulations on the humongous score increase! What was the cause and are they FICO scores?

Thanks

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 11
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

one more NFCU question

i know they like you to wait 91/3 between apping for cards. Does this pertain to the secure nrewards also? I was approved and got a nrewards secured card about 28 days ago from them. but then my credit score took a major hike up into the mid 660s now from the low to mid 500's. and i feel i can get approved for a unsecured with them now. do i need to wait the 91/3 or should i be clear to app since the first was a secured. 

Discover it miles 9/19 Sl 5000 | Care Credit 9/19 SL 3500 | Cap 1 QS 4/14 AU 500 | Cap 1 QS1 4/14 AU 600 | NFCU Secured 8/19 200 | NFCU CLOC 9/19 500 | NFCU auto 10/19 6.29 66k | NFCU Auto 4.9% 37k
Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: one more NFCU question

You have to wait 91/3 between all credit card apps or you will be declined. 

Message 8 of 11
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

Re: one more NFCU question

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to wait 91/3 between all credit card apps or you will be declined. 

Well guess i messed up getting the secured last month. 

Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 9 of 11
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@aesl1982 wrote:

I would apply individually but you can add the other as an AU.  We have done just that and it boost both of our scores but only one gets a hard pull.  You can trade off applying.  Read the long thread here, many insights.  Even a small approval will grow if you pay in full and it will add to your NFCU internal score.  Good luck!

thats good to know. i have read a lot about Navy. i got a secured last month and she told me that AU doesnt get reported to the CRA's. turns out i messed up getting that secured. because im stuck in that 91/3 before i can apply for their unsecured. so i guess ill have my wife apply for it. 

Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.