Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU

Looking for advice. I see so much on here with success from Navy. For some reason they do not like me. I have the cash rewards card, started at $500 limit in 2020. I have followed suggested guidelines for usage and increases and more time than not I am declined. I managed to get it up to $1500 until last September and finally got a $3000 cli. I last applied for an additional card well over a year ago and was declined. Go on tonight to see what I could get, tried their pre-approval portal and boom. Approved for the secured card with an offer to start account with $200. Really what do I need to do to get love from them, I am obviously not doing something right. Score on their site is 748 and utilization is around 10%. HELP???

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Ziti
Established Member

Re: NFCU

There is a lot of unknown information in regards to your portfolio. How much debt do you have? What is your income? How many hard inquiries do you have? How many new cards in the last 3/6/12 months? Additionally, Navy Federal assigns their members an internal score in addition to using their Transunion score to make credit decisions. Some of the factors they use to assign you a score is direct deposit status and length of membership.

Credit Cards:

Banking:
Message 2 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

By the looks of your signature, you seem to have a lot of credit cards. I don't know if maybe they don't feel comfortable giving you credit knowing you have so much available already?

Do you have any negatives on your file? 

Number of Inquiries?

Income?

Most recently opened account?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 10
DONZI
Established Contributor

You're in command of $321,400 of credit among 44 accounts -- as @OmarGB9  & @Ziti said, more info would help.

DTI a problem with ~32k debt?

One reoccurring theme with NFCU from what I have read is that they do value membership duration -- but not necessarily a requirement. IIRC, some people have joined and snag a card in the same effort.

There is a large thread here about NFCU DP in case you haven't seen that.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

You're in command of $321,400 of credit among 44 accounts -- as @OmarGB9  & @Ziti said, more info would help.

One reoccurring theme with NFCU from what I have read is that they do value membership duration -- but not necessarily a requirement. IIRC, some people have joined and snag a card in the same effort.

Depending on profile or even length of membership, the debt load may not be an issue. Im currently carrying a huge debt load helping my Dad and mist of that debt is with Navy yet they STILL increased one of my cards🤯 and they know my exact income so they do give leeway for its members.  Sometimes lenders need time to warm up to us. It took me 5 years plus for Penfed to even start opening up the coffers but as hard as it was with all the rejections along the way, when those approvals start coming, woo was the juice worth the squeezeSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking for advice. I see so much on here with success from Navy. For some reason they do not like me. I have the cash rewards card, started at $500 limit in 2020. I have followed suggested guidelines for usage and increases and more time than not I am declined. I managed to get it up to $1500 until last September and finally got a $3000 cli. I last applied for an additional card well over a year ago and was declined. Go on tonight to see what I could get, tried their pre-approval portal and boom. Approved for the secured card with an offer to start account with $200. Really what do I need to do to get love from them, I am obviously not doing something right. Score on their site is 748 and utilization is around 10%. HELP???

Next time you get an adverse action letter from them, look for the reason they denied your application.  That will give you a clue as to what they don't like about your profile.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Next time you get an adverse action letter from them, look for the reason they denied your application.  That will give you a clue as to what they don't like about your profile.

So SJ, when i see ive reached the max they are willing to extend me, should i be happy or close all my accounts out of spite?

😝

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ziti wrote:

There is a lot of unknown information in regards to your portfolio. How much debt do you have? What is your income? How many hard inquiries do you have? How many new cards in the last 3/6/12 months? Additionally, Navy Federal assigns their members an internal score in addition to using their Transunion score to make credit decisions. Some of the factors they use to assign you a score is direct deposit status and length of membership.

Usually around 10-11% utilization, income around $150,000, maybe around 10 hard inquires, not sure on last 12 months new trades, but last 3 months might have 2-3 new cards. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

Depending on profile or even length of membership, the debt load may not be an issue. Im currently carrying a huge debt load helping my Dad and mist of that debt is with Navy yet they STILL increased one of my cards🤯 and they know my exact income so they do give leeway for its members.  Sometimes lenders need time to warm up to us. It took me 5 years plus for Penfed to even start opening up the coffers but as hard as it was with all the rejections along the way, when those approvals start coming, woo was the juice worth the squeezeSmiley Happy

Love PenFed, both started high and have grown beautifully. I don't have a lot of debt though. 

Message 9 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

IDK but if I had to take a wild guess, I would say maybe since you have a nice portfolio of cards with really nice limits, NFCU may fear you won't utilize their card. How much spend are you putting on their cashRewards card?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.