cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Anonymous

You should be very safe.  My first card was nRewards in December of last year.  My 2nd card was 92 days later on March 4 with only 2 full and 1 partial statement.

Good luck!

Excellent thank you. So you did wait until the 3rd but your 1st one wasn't a full one? Very interesting 

Message 61 of 1,525
bustout
New Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@CerebralZulu wrote:

@bustout wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@bustout wrote:

A few weeks ago requested $500 increase to More Rewards Amex in order to cover my son who I added on as an authorized user. Approved.

Today woke up to an auto $3000 CLI on Platinum with about 77% usage.

Thinking of taking the $8,000 Platinum and paying it to $0 tomorrow and converting it to Flagship since I see no SUB's on the horizon to my benefit and I already have 3 NFCU credit cards.

Would it be too much at the same time to take the CashRewards card and shift that limit to the Flagship and just close it down or should I wait until after the Flagship conversion? Anyone have any experience merging and converting? I'm thinking I will keep my low interest rate with the Flagship and perhaps a year down the road add another card if there is a tempting SUB

You can try but data points are energing that Navy may no longer be moving credit limits. I think it was an option that started to get abused, basically like the scenario you describe.   Everybody wants a cc from Navy but then it seems they dont want to keep it very long by either trying to pc or move limits, then close, then sub hunt another. Just seems it wouldnt last forever. And they did actually have an official policy not to move credit limits but were doing so on a case by case basis. Leave it to myFicoers to break a good thing lolSmiley Wink

I'm afraid to share my results when I call. I guess it won't matter if I get it done.

Please do share. It helps everyone decide what routes to take.

Approved to convert Platinum to Flagship with same interest rate. Was advised not to try and convert balance from Cash Rewards into Flagship because they "no longer do that". Later in the conversation I was told to just wait to request the balance conversion, because it is a manual review now. I'm going to assume 91/3, although I may wait until 181/6

Hope this helps anyone

Message 62 of 1,525
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What exactly is considered 3 full statements?

@Anonymous, They mean 3 full, 25-day billing cycles.  If the first billing cycle is a short billing cycle, less than 25 days from CC approval to the first statement date, then the card holder will have to wait until the 2nd billing cycle begins (which is the first statement date) to start counting 3 full billing cycles for eligibility to apply for a new Navy Fed CC or a CLI on the current CC.

In my case, this wasn't true.  Second card was approved after 15-day bill + 2 full bills in March, 2021

3rd card was approved after a 7-day bill and 2 full bills in June 2021.

the only thing I had to be sure of was 91 days from approval. Both approvals were spring, 2021.

This is good to know.  I'm glad you didn't have to wait!

Perhaps Navy Fed has gone back to the 91-day rule.  They've been requiring the addition of 3 full, 25-day billings cycles for years now, so that's what I've been recommending.  I'm coming up on 91 days for eligibility for a CLI, so I'll find out if that applies to CLIs, too, not just CC applications.

FICOs:

Message 63 of 1,525
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@USMC_Winger wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What exactly is considered 3 full statements?

@Anonymous, They mean 3 full, 25-day billing cycles.  If the first billing cycle is a short billing cycle, less than 25 days from CC approval to the first statement date, then the card holder will have to wait until the 2nd billing cycle begins (which is the first statement date) to start counting 3 full billing cycles for eligibility to apply for a new Navy Fed CC or a CLI on the current CC.

In my case, this wasn't true.  Second card was approved after 15-day bill + 2 full bills in March, 2021

3rd card was approved after a 7-day bill and 2 full bills in June 2021.

the only thing I had to be sure of was 91 days from approval. Both approvals were spring, 2021.

This is good to know.  I'm glad you didn't have to wait!

Perhaps Navy Fed has gone back to the 91-day rule.  They've been requiring the addition of 3 full, 25-day billings cycles for years now, so that's what I've been recommending.  I'm coming up on 91 days for eligibility for a CLI, so I'll find out if that applies to CLIs, too, not just CC applications.

I just did CLI request last week. Still saying too soon for 91 days

Message 64 of 1,525
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

You should be very safe.  My first card was nRewards in December of last year.  My 2nd card was 92 days later on March 4 with only 2 full and 1 partial statement.

Good luck!

Excellent thank you. So you did wait until the 3rd but your 1st one wasn't a full one? Very interesting 

Correct.

• nRewards Approved 12/2.  
    • First statement was 12/19 (partial-- only 17 days).  
    • 2nd statement was 1/19 (first full statement) 
    • 3rd statement was 2/19 (second full statement)
    • March 4:  Applied and Approved for platinum with 6900 SL
  • Platinum Approved 3/4
    • 1st statement was 3/9 (partial -- only 5 days)
    • 2nd statement was 4/9 -- full statement 
    • 3rd statement was 5/9 -- full statement 
    • June 3rd (today but applied just after midnight). :  Applied and approved for GoRewards with 15k starting limit.

NOW, One thing that may have "counted" was that I also had a car loan that was opened on December 1st... a day before the nRewards.  

MAYBE I was able to circumvent the 3 full statements on my credit cards because it was counting statements for both the loan and the credit cards.  So while I only had 2 full statements on the credit card prior to the next approval, perhaps the UWs looked at it as 4 Full Statements:  2 for the cc and 2 for the loan.

Sooooo, that could be a case of YMMV.  🧐

ETA:  I just requested a CLI on my platinum which is at 92 days.  My 3rd full statement cuts on 6/9... so we'll see if I get shot down for being too soon.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 65 of 1,525
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

• nRewards Approved 12/2.  
    • First statement was 12/19 (partial-- only 17 days).  
    • 2nd statement was 1/19 (first full statement) 
    • 3rd statement was 2/19 (second full statement)
    • March 4:  Applied and Approved for platinum with 6900 SL
  • Platinum Approved 3/4
    • 1st statement was 3/9 (partial -- only 5 days)
    • 2nd statement was 4/9 -- full statement 
    • 3rd statement was 5/9 -- full statement 
    • June 3rd (today but applied just after midnight). :  Applied and approved for GoRewards with 15k starting limit.

NOW, One thing that may have "counted" was that I also had a car loan that was opened on December 1st... a day before the nRewards.  

MAYBE I was able to circumvent the 3 full statements on my credit cards because it was counting statements for both the loan and the credit cards.  So while I only had 2 full statements on the credit card prior to the next approval, perhaps the UWs looked at it as 4 Full Statements:  2 for the cc and 2 for the loan.

Sooooo, that could be a case of YMMV.  🧐

ETA:  I just requested a CLI on my platinum which is at 92 days.  My 3rd full statement cuts on 6/9... so we'll see if I get shot down for being too soon.

It appears Navy Fed is going by the date of approval of your first credit account, the auto loan, for the 91/3 rule.  I don't know your auto loan report date, but 3 entire months passed between the approval date of the auto loan and the approval date of the Platinum CC, and that seems to be 3 full statements.  March 4th was 93 days after the approval date of the auto loan.

Please let us know how your CLI goes.  Good luck!

FICOs:

Message 66 of 1,525
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

I was just finally approved for my 3rd and final Navy Federal Credit card the flagship with a $20k SL @ 15% I will take it I have $2000 Amex and $11.5k Platinum Master Card. My TU08 Is 683. But according to Navy Federal my EQ09 is 716 as of today!

Starting Score: Eq 485 TU 467 Ex 400 BK filed Dec 2016
Current Score: Eq 723 TU 665 Ex 682
Goal Score: 700 All 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 67 of 1,525
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kaylord84 wrote:

I was just finally approved for my 3rd and final Navy Federal Credit card the flagship with a $20k SL @ 15% I will take it I have $2000 Amex and $11.5k Platinum Master Card. My TU08 Is 683. But according to Navy Federal my EQ09 is 716 as of today!

Congratulations on your approval.  

Are you positive they pulled EQ9???

I applied for a CLOC  Tuesday and I thought they would pull my EQ9 which is 688. Instead they pulled My TU9 which is 629. I was denied I reconned and was denied again. I'm pretty upset about it. On June 11th I was going to try for the more rewards but now I'm gunshy. 

Message 68 of 1,525
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kaylord84 wrote:

Does NFCU use the EQ9 yet? Do they pull the TU9 then do a soft pull on the E9 to see how you are doing? As of yesterday my EQ9 went up 93 points, it went from 644 to 737. I don't know why but I am pleased.

Message 69 of 1,525
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kaylord84 wrote:

Does NFCU use the EQ9 yet? Do they pull the TU9 then do a soft pull on the E9 to see how you are doing? As of yesterday my EQ9 went up 93 points, it went from 644 to 737. I don't know why but I am pleased.

Navy uses TU9 for new CC apps.

The monthly EQ9 they provide is used to do AR's (account reviews) from what I've heard here on myFICO.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 70 of 1,525
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.