Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal No Prequal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal No Prequal?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called and asked if they would do a prequal and no dice, Jay the CSR claimed it is no longer working and some mumbo jumbo that to me as a 13 year banker - made no sense TBH, although it sounded like he said it was not set up properly and they are fixing it? I said I would call back in a month and was not dissuaded by the CSR. So it does appear to be hit or miss, or is it? When you call you punch in your access# or SSN# so by the time the CSR answers, they know who you are and probably have your profile pulled up on their PC. I have a nagging feeling that if you fit a certain profile from the get go - the tool will magically be available to you. I am guessing I did not check all the boxes.
I just joined NFCU last month, I am not at 30 days yet. I did open a checking and a CD for $10k. My TU FICO8 is 823. 

I will be honest I was hoping for a prequal for Flagship and I was going to app for that card. Now I am unsure how to proceed. I guess I can app for Cash Rewards as 1st card - wait 91 days and app for Flagship... I am okay with this even though it sorta sucks for someone with a really good credit profile. Any advice? 
So far I like Navy, very easy site and good products, plus I live near a branch.

@Anonymous I feel like if you apply you'll get a high limit out of the gate. You can try for a different card first since the 2nd card normally yeilds a higher limit after a 91/3 but the choice is up to you.

Message 31 of 36
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I called today and asked for a prequal. The CSR read me a disclaimer/disclosure that I was agreeing NCFU pulling my credit report, but it was not an actual application and would not affect me credit score. She asked me say to "yes" and after a few seconds told me I was prequalified for all their cards. I specifically asked if that included the Flagship. She said "Let me check" After a few seconds she read me another disclosure telling me about the $500 for $4000 SUB, and '$49 AF. She then told me that was also prequalified for it. She asked if I wanted to apply, and but I decided to wait. So at least it seems the mythical prequal is a thing!
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $608,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 5/31/24- $21,590.43
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 32 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like a case of keep calling until you get a prequal? :-/

Maybe some DPs from those getting the prequals? Length of membership? Deposits? Other cards held? etc...

Message 33 of 36
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like a case of keep calling until you get a prequal? :-/

Maybe some DPs from those getting the prequals? Length of membership? Deposits? Other cards held? etc...

My scores are in my sig.
11/24 EX
10/24TU
6/24 EQ
AoOA - 18 years 2 mos.
AoYA - 4 mos
AAoA - 3 years 3 mos

Been a NFCU member for a little over a month - dropped $505 in Savings put a $50 in checking. I’ve made a few small withdrawals from both accounts. I’m thinking about transferring $1200 in the checking and then paying my mortgage from that account for a few months just to move some money through there.

I gotta say though, I opened NFCU and Alliant accounts at the same time, and I have admit, I like everything about the Alliant account better, on the banking side at least. Transactions are much quicker and the transactions on their app post much quicker.

Still want those NFCU cards tho! 😉😂
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $608,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 5/31/24- $21,590.43
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores are in my sig.
11/24 EX
10/24TU
6/24 EQ
AoOA - 18 years 2 mos.
AoYA - 4 mos
AAoA - 3 years 3 mos

Been a NFCU member for a little over a month - dropped $505 in Savings put a $50 in checking. I’ve made a few small withdrawals from both accounts. I’m thinking about transferring $1200 in the checking and then paying my mortgage from that account for a few months just to move some money through there.

I gotta say though, I opened NFCU and Alliant accounts at the same time, and I have admit, I like everything about the Alliant account better, on the banking side at least. Transactions are much quicker and the transactions on their app post much quicker.

Still want those NFCU cards tho! 😉😂

Thanks JNA1,

My NFCU membership is less than a month old as well. I have 10K in a CD and a checking account I just opened.

HP's; 1 EX, 1 EQ and 0 TU

Scores across all bureaus in 800's
DTI 1.5%
Income $65K
AAoOA 10 yrs
Oldest account is 25 yrs
Newest account is 1 yr

I would say I could cold app for the Flagship, but to be honest, I get worried after reading the forum. Also 2 years ago i apped for the Fidelity card and got a $1000 SL which was a stunner. Just don't want to risk a hardpull and a denial. Has anyone had luck apping on the phone and switching to another product if you don't get the Flagship approved?

Message 35 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to call back. I called today to see what card best fits me because I currently have the go reward card and I spoke with someone who said they didn't do that so I asked could I speak to someone in the credit card department after being transferred and explained what I wanted  the first thing he asked did I want them to run a sp for pre qualification and was told I was pre qualified for all their cards. 

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.