Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Amex Advise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Some Amex Advise

Ah. Wow. Thanks for the tip. Just tried doing that I see 3 "offers". But when I clicked on the apply button for all 3, none of them are "pre-approved". Even the Blue Cash Preferred that shows pre approved in my personal profile was not in my corp one.

Interesting.
Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

same for me..i wasn't preapproved for any of the 3 listed.

i just applied for it and prayed haha.

got instant approval for the platinum.

what convinced me to try it out was this thread here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Amex-Platinum-approval-CAP/td-p/5881983

@Anonymous wrote:
Ah. Wow. Thanks for the tip. Just tried doing that I see 3 "offers". But when I clicked on the apply button for all 3, none of them are "pre-approved". Even the Blue Cash Preferred that shows pre approved in my personal profile was not in my corp one.

Interesting.

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX will open the gates very quickly. I was the opposite way. I was approved for a AMEX Gold around 635 EXP and then I obtained a Delta Gold a couple months later with an SP at the 1K limit. I just recently was able to make it a 6K CL. Now, almost a year later of a similar strategy (pay balance every week), I’m preapproved across the board for AMEX. Reserve, Aspire, Platinum, Brilliant.

AMEX don’t care how you pay, just swipe and make it your go to card and they will open the world to you. Now let’s see if they will give me a BBP in a month...
Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for sharing. My corp card is in excellent standing and 6+ months old but my personal card I've only had since October 2019.

This CAP thing is encouraging. But I think I'll wait for another few months to get my score up (currently at 660). The OP in the post you shared was at 740+...

I know nothing lost if you apply and get denied but, I hate seeing that "sorry can't approve at this time" notice. It's a real blow to the day Smiley Sad
Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

i feel you on that.

i'm waiting for an approval/deny letter for the caesars rewards visa i applied to earlier this week.

told me that they'll send me the status in around 2 weeks.

according to some other threads and posts, experian scores at round high 600s will normally get approvals for amex charge cards.

good luck on when you decide to apply 

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for sharing. My corp card is in excellent standing and 6+ months old but my personal card I've only had since October 2019.

This CAP thing is encouraging. But I think I'll wait for another few months to get my score up (currently at 660). The OP in the post you shared was at 740+...

I know nothing lost if you apply and get denied but, I hate seeing that "sorry can't approve at this time" notice. It's a real blow to the day Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 48
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I am the OP in the other CAP thread Smiley Happy

I am over 740, but that's deceptive, due to heavy credit-seeking and inquiries that are well in the double digits on every credit report (I think about 16 or 17 on Experian). In reality, I wouldn't qualify for a lot of stuff.

A few comments, since I wasn't aware you had a corporate card earlier.

1 - Preapproval and prequalification are two different things. Prequalification means you will "probably" get the card. Preapproval means you "will" get the card unless your income is a problem or something has gone horribly wrong with your credit in the past few days.

2 - With CAP, since you are not logged in as you normally would be, you won't see preapprovals. However, you can check preapproval in the normal interface, and trust that it will carry over to CAP.

3 - I don't know what it means for you not seeing the Gold Card. Normally I would say, if you can get Green or Platinum, you can also get Gold. Since you are preapproved for those two, I would think you could get Gold. But I don't know if Amex is simply blocking Gold from view, or if there's something else going on.

4 - All that said, my advice is to apply via CAP. I think you will probably get it, and if not, it will probably be a SP anyway.

5 - If you aren't feeling brave enough for that, wait until it shows up again for you and check preapproval. If you are preapproved, apply via CAP.

Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

*sigh*. I tired the Platinum app through the CAP and was denied. I think the CAP offers great benefits your company has negotiated but prob defaults back to your own profile for the acceptance. Therefore, your corp card and it's stellar history really has no bearing. I could be wrong.

I'm just going to hold for a few months now until all signs are pointing towards an approval. But I'm glad there is a program like this.

Thanks for the added details. Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 48
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear - but, probably just SP! Which means harmless (even if frustrating). I'm sure you'll get there soon!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh Kay! Great tip guys! I went around and clicked a few cards (the apply button) and this is what I got:

Amex Green (expand membership)
Delta Platinum (pre approved)
Delta Reserve (pre approved)
Amex Blue Cash preferred (pre approved)

I don't see the Amex Gold anywhere. I guess since I've applied for it 2x since October. It's basically gone.

I just logged out. Not sure what my next move will be.

@Anonymous American Express has a dynamic website and often when you are denied for a card it will remove that card from view when logged in to your account until either 30 or 90 days have passed since the date of denial (that period varies by the reason for the denial).

You can test this by clearing the cookies from your browser then going to the main Amex website.  If you click on Personal Cards you should see that they offer 18 cards.  Now log in to you account and click on  Menu > Cards > View all Credit Cards.  Scroll down to the section titled "Browse All Cards" which show show 18 cards.  If you're seeing less than 18 cards then the missing card(s) is removed due to the recent denial.

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

You typically need an Experian FICO 8 score of 670 or above to be approved for one of Amex's core cards.  You can sometimes be approved with less than a 670 but you're likely to be placed in Amex's version of credit steps where you're given either a $500 or $1,000 credit limit and a promise of a 2X credit limit increase after 180 days.

The co-branded cards have looser underwriting standards so they are easier to get approvals and don't necessarily require a 670 EQ FICO score.

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.