cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One High or Three Average?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Frequent Contributor

One High or Three Average?

Tomorrow is day 61 on my Surpass card so I can go from 6k to 18k. Should I keep that card at 18k or should I spread the limit to have 3 cards around 6k or even two at 9k?


New Accounts: 10/6 15/12 16/24 oops

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Senior Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?


@ToxikPH wrote:

Tomorrow is day 61 on my Surpass card so I can go from 6k to 18k. Should I keep that card at 18k or should I spread the limit to have 3 cards around 6k or even two at 9k?


@ToxikPH  ...3x CLI's are NOT 100% Guaranteed!, some get'em, some don't ...

some get 2x.  "Some get flat out Denied" .. "If" you get what you think you might get?

Then it depends on your spend, if you plan on carrying a balance on one particular card?,

then you would want to keep your CL high to keep Util. low. If you do not carry balances?.

 

You can spread your limit around. Just rember you can only transfer CL ONE time in 30 days.

and it will be 180 days till your next CLI .. GL2U

 

Message 2 of 28
Senior Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?

True, 3x is far from guaranteed.

 

Which card...of those two or potentially a third card...would you actually use for a large transaction or BT?

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 3 of 28
Frequent Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?

Honestly I’m considering getting the EDP In six months so that would be the third. My end goal is the CSR and I want to have a few 10k cards so that one is way easier to get once I get under 5/24.

New Accounts: 10/6 15/12 16/24 oops

Message 4 of 28
Senior Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?


@ToxikPH wrote:
Honestly I’m considering getting the EDP In six months so that would be the third. My end goal is the CSR and I want to have a few 10k cards so that one is way easier to get once I get under 5/24.

EDP might be better than Hilton or Delta for larger transactions, but keep in mind it is another AF and the marginal value may be pretty low. You have Rewards+ for small transactions, DC and Venture as 2% cards, and Gold for supermarkets. Not sure which of those are currently scheduled for closure.

 

If you do go with EDP, you can also wait to request a CLI in hope of getting a better SL on EDP or a smoother approval.

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 5 of 28
Established Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?


@ToxikPH wrote:
Honestly I’m considering getting the EDP In six months so that would be the third. My end goal is the CSR and I want to have a few 10k cards so that one is way easier to get once I get under 5/24.

There's your answer.

 

You need to be able to qualify for a minimum $10K line for CSR.  You're not getting there yet.  Leveraging is the name of the game, working your overall lines higher to get in that neighborhood so Chase feels good letting you have that much.  Your average line right now is only $3,300.  If you get the 2x or 3x CLI, I wouldn't dilute it.  A $9K or $18K line would help you achieve your goal.

 

Of course, you'd knew I'd say One High with my screen name ... lolSmiley LOL




Total Length of Credit = 35+ years; AoOA (Currently open accounts) = 26+ years;
AAoA = 9.5+ years; AoYA = less than 1 year (Aug 2019)
Total Open Credit Lines Over $400K. Utilization Less Than 1%. Inquiries until May 2020 (TU:1 -- EQ:0 -- EX:5)
*Hover cursor over each card to see name, CL
Message 6 of 28
Super Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?


@ToxikPH wrote:
Honestly I’m considering getting the EDP In six months so that would be the third. My end goal is the CSR and I want to have a few 10k cards so that one is way easier to get once I get under 5/24.

The CSR is a stretch in the near term. 

What is the attraction of CSR if you already have Platinum and Gold?

 

As to the 3x planning, leaving potential Overall Limits space open on AMEX cards would be my suggestion, and was how I handled my AMEX revolvers apps over the last several years.  The 3x can be used if you want to grow a single revolver. 

 

Full disclosure I have Plat, Gold, CSR, and a few other high AF cards, so I don’t judge the decision. One route to the CSR is to skip EDP, to ensure you are well under 5/24, and to app CSP first. The $5k requirement gets you a similar earning card, and a clearer path to the CSR through PC a year later. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 7 of 28
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?

Three average joes trumps one high, AMEX POT isnt all its cracked up to beSmiley Wink
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
2022
!
Message 8 of 28
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?


@M_Smart007 wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

Tomorrow is day 61 on my Surpass card so I can go from 6k to 18k. Should I keep that card at 18k or should I spread the limit to have 3 cards around 6k or even two at 9k?


@ToxikPH  ...3x CLI's are NOT 100% Guaranteed!, some get'em, some don't ...

some get 2x.  "Some get flat out Denied" .. "If" you get what you think you might get?

Then it depends on your spend, if you plan on carrying a balance on one particular card?,

then you would want to keep your CL high to keep Util. low. If you do not carry balances?.

 

You can spread your limit around. Just rember you can only transfer CL ONE time in 30 days.

and it will be 180 days till your next CLI .. GL2U

 


+1

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club


SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 9 of 28
Frequent Contributor

Re: One High or Three Average?

Doesn’t even matter as I got completely denied, not even a counter.

New Accounts: 10/6 15/12 16/24 oops

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.