Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online CC Prequal

tag
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Online CC Prequal

Do the online prequals soft pull your credit? The reason I ask is my credit is a bit low from utilization which should go back up next thursday because I made some big payments and I'm wondering if I should wait until then to check if I prequal online.

Thanks

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Online CC Prequal

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/view-personalized-credit-card-offers/

I understand that this is not a credit card application and that the process of checking to see if I have an offer will not affect my credit score.

Message 2 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditSage wrote:

Do the online prequals soft pull your credit? The reason I ask is my credit is a bit low from utilization which should go back up next thursday because I made some big payments and I'm wondering if I should wait until then to check if I prequal online.

Thanks

Prequals are based on SPs and you should wait till payments post. If you're looking to apply, you'd want to look really pretty when you do especially if there are any negatives present on your report. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditSage wrote:

The reason I ask is my credit is a bit low from utilization which should go back up next thursday because I made some big payments and I'm wondering if I should wait until then to check if I prequal online.

Thanks

Are you using any method to monitor your credit? You have to make sure that your CRA's pull your most up to date profile. Just because you have paid off large balances, that does not mean your CRA's are updated with that information at the same time. It could take 2 - 3 weeks before a CRA pulls your profile reflecting updated balances. Keep that in mind when you apply. 

Message 4 of 8
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Yes I am very aware. This question was specific to the online prequals - knowing how they are qualifying you and therefore if, like a traditional app, you should wait until your most recent payments/credit profile updates are reflected to the beureaus. 

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 5 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

SP is done in real time, and will reflect info present on your CR at the time it's done. 

Info in SP is identical to info in HP, just coded differently. 

Message 6 of 8
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

What I needed to know. Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Welcome and good luck 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.