Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening up multiple credit cards

tag
RedWolfFish77
Valued Member

Opening up multiple credit cards

What damage to a credit score can someone expect if they were approved and opened up 4-7 new credit cards in a span of a month or two?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Opening up multiple credit cards

It isn't going to be pretty that's for sure

That's assuming the person gets to keep the cards in the first place

If the bank issuing the cards perform any type of review post-approvals they could be looking at some banks closing the card(s) since they will deem them a risk

That type of credit seeking behavior can be a huge red flag and may attempt to mitigate that as soon as they see what is going on

Message 2 of 15
Sub16610
Established Contributor

My dp's and experience, I sustained a 15 point drop.  Beginning March-August of this year I opened 6 cc and 1 charge card.  I have since regained all it back.  Of course YMMV.  

Message 3 of 15
RedWolfFish77
Valued Member

Gotcha, has there been any banks known to this specifically?

Message 4 of 15
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Anything from Chase specifically.  Chase not only has the 5/24 rule, but they also double-back and SP your account to check you out.....best to leave them out of major sprees like that.

Other banks can often deny you for similar reasons. Citi, US Bank, and Barclays tend to be very sensitive to newly opened accounts. You definitely have to be strategic with apps, especially with which bureau they pull, and their overall sensitivity to new apps and lots of recent inquiries. There are data points in every thread on this forum you can research to help you plan your path.

Welcome to the forum, I see you're a new member. Not sure if you have silently lurked here for a while, but I would encourage you to search the forum for specific cards you have interest in and read how others applied for them and the DP's they offered. It will help you tremendously.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 5 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

It isn't going to be pretty that's for sure

That's assuming the person gets to keep the cards in the first place

If the bank issuing the cards perform any type of review post-approvals they could be looking at some banks closing the card(s) since they will deem them a risk

That type of credit seeking behavior can be a huge red flag and may attempt to mitigate that as soon as they see what is going on

+1

It's going to negatively affect AAOA (Average age of accounts), number of inquiries, and number of new accounts. So, initially, a sizable drop in scores. However, if no AA occurs, your scores will start to bounce back in 3-4 months. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 15
Trini88
Established Contributor

It's gonna hurt Smiley LOL I stopped looking at my credit scores. My last two haven't even reported yet and the damage will continue. Will start looking at my credit scores again next year Smiley LOL Was it worth it? Yes Smiley LOL

Goal Cards:
Message 7 of 15
RedWolfFish77
Valued Member

One more dumb question, how did you add those cards below your profile?

Message 8 of 15
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@RedWolfFish77 wrote:

One more dumb question, how did you add those cards below your profile?

Here ya go.....

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/t...

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 9 of 15
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@RedWolfFish77 wrote:

What damage to a credit score can someone expect if they were approved and opened up 4-7 new credit cards in a span of a month or two?

I think it depends on where you are credit wise.

If you are starting out with a 4 or 500 score how much damage can you do?

When i started out in sept/oct 2020 it took a bunch of cards with the logic that the hp's would basically be a non factor in 12 months.

after about 8 months i started to get better cards like discover and i closed 3 sub primes that had yearly and monthly fees.

my scores after bk7 in 12/2019 were in the toilet but right now my ficos are in the 660-670+ range. by next month a bunch of hp's lose their significance but i opened some better cards with better limits, rewards, etc{ except cap 1} discover, mercury,,cap 1, legacy, first savings bank. i opened all those in may 2021 so those hp's should lose significance by june 2022.

i know what i'm doing is against the flow and kind of anti azeo but its working for me

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.