cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CLI?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

PenFed CLI?

I was just recently (recon) approved like 3 days ago with $1000 CL, and still waiting for the card. I was told by the OP manager and some people here to ask CLI in 6 months. I lurked around and some people did ask for CLI which was granted 2 months or even days from approval. And also I've heard somewhere that approval was overturned to denial. I plan to use its BT offer since I just had big purchase, but don't want to risk CC denial after that recon approval if I call for CLI. I already have plans on how to use its BT offer with $1000 CL, but just wondering if I should call or wait instead?
Credit Cards



----------------------------------------------------------------------
Loans


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Future CCs
Discover It, Chase Freedom, BB Americas Platinum Plus
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed CLI?

Wait 6 months to a year. Your borderline recon approval is a strong enough indication that you need to establish a good payment history and relationship with them first before they grant you
any CLI. On the other hand, it’ll just be a SP CLI if you request an early CLI so no harm done there but you run the risk of another scrutiny of your CR if you try to recon another CLI. I’d stay put for now if it was me but it’s your call.
BK7 dc in 01/2011 with FICO8 in the 500s

New cc TLs : 1/6 ; 1/12 ; 2/24
HPs EX 2 EQ 2 TU 1
AAoA 5y4m
UTIL 1% - 3%

$220K+ Total Limits










Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: PenFed CLI?

OP, IIRC, similar advice was already provided on your other thread regarding the PenFed CLI.

An item to keep in mind, just because others may have had some success with the CLI in a short timeframe doesn't particularly lend into the same results for everyone. Your reconsideration (i.e. judgemental review) approval should hint that it's best to wait things out until your specific profile or situation becomes optimal.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: PenFed CLI?


@JR_TX wrote:
Wait 6 months to a year. Your borderline recon approval is a strong enough indication that you need to establish a good payment history and relationship with them first before they grant you
any CLI. On the other hand, it’ll just be a SP CLI if you request an early CLI so no harm done there but you run the risk of another scrutiny of your CR if you try to recon another CLI. I’d stay put for now if it was me but it’s your call.

I'll heed to that advice, I don't want another scrutiny from PenFed.  I'll wait then... Thanks!

Credit Cards



----------------------------------------------------------------------
Loans


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Future CCs
Discover It, Chase Freedom, BB Americas Platinum Plus
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: PenFed CLI?


@FinStar wrote:
OP, IIRC, similar advice was already provided on your other thread regarding the PenFed CLI.

An item to keep in mind, just because others may have had some success with the CLI in a short timeframe doesn't particularly lend into the same results for everyone. Your reconsideration (i.e. judgemental review) approval should hint that it's best to wait things out until your specific profile or situation becomes optimal.

I'll heed to that advice.  I need more info (and reason) why I should/shouldn't call and ask for CLI, my bad if this thread was the same as the other one I posted.  Thank you for the input!

Credit Cards



----------------------------------------------------------------------
Loans


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Future CCs
Discover It, Chase Freedom, BB Americas Platinum Plus
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: PenFed CLI?


@kwulfe wrote:

@FinStar wrote:
OP, IIRC, similar advice was already provided on your other thread regarding the PenFed CLI.

An item to keep in mind, just because others may have had some success with the CLI in a short timeframe doesn't particularly lend into the same results for everyone. Your reconsideration (i.e. judgemental review) approval should hint that it's best to wait things out until your specific profile or situation becomes optimal.

I'll heed to that advice.  I need more info (and reason) why I should/shouldn't call and ask for CLI, my bad if this thread was the same as the other one I posted.  Thank you for the input!


OP, @FinStar is right.  Wait until you've gotten some history with them and your report is optimal.  Keep in mind that a lot of the success stories you'll read on this here forum are from a period not so long ago when PenFed threw caution to the wind and for a brief period, overlooked things that once bothered them to their very core.  They were handing out approvals at a rate in which this forum has never seen.  Recon was as simple as having a casual conversation with a distant friend.  

 

During that time, the getting was good.  They were turning a blind eye to a lot of things.  Unfortunately that window has since closed and they've seem to return to their version of "business as usual".  An approval for $1k is a sign that maybe they're rolling the dice on you...I wouldn't push it much further than that at the moment.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.