Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Conditional Approval

tag
rockstar53
Valued Member

PenFed Conditional Approval

Hello forum,

I recently joined PenFed where I applied for the Pathfinder Amex Card as I would like to try and secure a no annual fee travel card given my credit over the last 2 years has rebound from 500 to 700 plus range after cleaning up errors on my reports, getting qualified and securing a new mortgage and steadily decreasing my credit utilization while growing my credit limits on active accounts some of which are 1-2 years old now. 

Current CC utilization is 12%, average age of all open accounts is a little over 2 years.

The result of the credit card application, PenFed gave a conditional approval but when I inquired further it was an approval for a different card - Power Cash Visa Card with only a $1,200 CL at the highest interest rate.

When I called this morning and spoke with the CSR, I asked for reconsideration of a higher limit and lower interest rate given I have open CC accounts with CL mostly in the 9-14K range, she proceeded to discuss with the loan team.

In the end, I was not granted a higher limit or lower interest rate though my current EQ 9 score is 738 (as confirmed by PenFed). The reasons given for an alternate offer, too many recent inquiries and new accounts within the past 12 months. Given I am a new member they would like to establish more history with me before extending more credit. I was also advised that if I accept the offer in 6 months I can get re-evaluated for limit increase and terms.

Outside of getting the Amex card, I am not really looking to add additional credit cards in the next 12 -18 months.

With that said, I wanted to get some feedback from the community - would you accept the low limit PenFed card and try to build some history and then reapply for the Amex in 6 mos?

Starting Score: 536
Current Scores EQ/TU/EX Fico8: 791/792/792
Current Scores EQ/TU/EX Fico9: 790/767/793
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amazon Prime (10K); Apple Card (16.5K); BOFA Cash Rewards (40K); BMW Card (17.5K); Chase Amazon (37.2K); Chase SW Priority (23K); Citi Advantage (32.2K); Discount Tire (10K); Discover (28K); DCU (20K); Ebay MC (10K); HSBC Premier (27K); HSBC Premier Elite (29K); Huntington Voice Rewards (5.7K); Huntington Voice (13.7K); Macys Amex (25K); Navy Fed More Rewards (21K); Navy Fed Flagship (46.1K); Navy Fed Platinum (12.9K); Pen Fed Gold (17.5K); Pen Fed Power Cash Rewards (25K); PNC Cash Rewards (10K); PNC Core (2.5K); Signature FCU (20K); Truist x2 (7.5K); WF Reflect (16.3K)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Conditional Approval

Do you want it?

You can PC later on to the other version? (not sure as I dumped PF ages ago and never ventured into their credit products while with them)

Did you take the HP?

I've gotten familiar with  other CU's in the past and currently still hold a stable of 4 CC's from different ones.  There's a sliding scale based on score typically with a CU "loan" that tells you what you'll end up with for an APR.

image.png

for instance if your scores are 730+ you would be at the 8.49%, say 710-730 11.49% and so on.  As your scores improve you can "re-evaluate" the current terms and slide down the rate scale.  I eventually locked in 6.9% Fixed with a particular CU by doing this.  From experience most don't show you the scale but, you know the range when you apply or look at the website.  

Anyway.... so the delimma is whether to accept/keep and determine if it's going to be a long term fit.  Like I said I have 4 accounts elsewhere that have been pretty decent over the past 12 years or so I've held them.  They're not going to give you a baller limit but, they do make a good stable standby when you really need them for something that can't be PIF.  Most of them offer $0 BT functions which comes in handy if you want to hit the SUB on another card but that new card doesn't offer 0% period.  

My 2 highest that are open to anyone are JFCU and Consumers which are both over 25K/ea sitting at ~12% APR.  The 6.9 is only 16.5K though for emergencies and they won't bump the limit since I don't "bank" with them any more with other open loans/shares.  

Message 2 of 17
rockstar53
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you want it? - Yes I am considering it at this point since they did a separate HP for the original application submitted, and true they typically do not have fees for BT if ever needed.

You can PC later on to the other version? (not sure as I dumped PF ages ago and never ventured into their credit products while with them) - I would be curious to know from others on the forum their experience with this or if this is even available at PF

Did you take the HP? Yes unfortunately, I would have expected it to just be one since I am a new customer

Amazon Prime (10K); Apple Card (16.5K); BOFA Cash Rewards (40K); BMW Card (17.5K); Chase Amazon (37.2K); Chase SW Priority (23K); Citi Advantage (32.2K); Discount Tire (10K); Discover (28K); DCU (20K); Ebay MC (10K); HSBC Premier (27K); HSBC Premier Elite (29K); Huntington Voice Rewards (5.7K); Huntington Voice (13.7K); Macys Amex (25K); Navy Fed More Rewards (21K); Navy Fed Flagship (46.1K); Navy Fed Platinum (12.9K); Pen Fed Gold (17.5K); Pen Fed Power Cash Rewards (25K); PNC Cash Rewards (10K); PNC Core (2.5K); Signature FCU (20K); Truist x2 (7.5K); WF Reflect (16.3K)
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, then I would just say YES to the CC and provide them with the docs they'll ask for to setup the new account.  

If you want to diversify things a bit then check out JFCU / Consumers as they're both easy to work with / join.

Message 4 of 17
Hex
Valued Contributor

IMHO If you already have taken the hard pull you might as well take the card. I have a BK7 d/c’d 7/16. My first PenFed Card was a $2K PCR they approved in 7/17. I had no other baddies on my reports. They turned me down for CLI’s and additional cards at least 2 other times but in 4/18 they gave me a Gold Card with another $2K limit. In 6/18 I got a car loan with them at 1.99% (same HP as for the Gold Card but I think they are pulling more often now). Then in January when my dog was sick (I didn’t tell them my dog was sick) I decided I wanted to have a high limit CB card so I called for a CLI on my PCR. They gave me a $39K increase brining me to $41K on that card!!! When I realized that my PCR Card would never upgrade to a Signature Card because it was issued for <$5K I asked them to give me a new card instead of the CLI and they did. So now I have two $2K and one $39K Card with them. Some people on this forum think they are ultra conservative but I think if you stick with them it’s well worth it. When I first asked for CLI’s and new cards from them they would tell me they wanted to see a longer history of use and at least a years history with higher limit cards (which they would not give me but which Capital One had). Anyway my theory is if you are willing to put the time and effort into them (and waste a few hard pulls) it is ultimately worth it. I wonder if applying with them (even if they turn you down) doesn’t generate some sort of a record that shows them that you are serious about PenFed. It’s all conjecture but I’ve gotten a lot from my total of 5 HP’s from PenFed. A lot of people have that may HP’s with Navy and don’t think twice about it. Anyway something to think about.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very cool story @Hex. Thank you.

Message 6 of 17
Hex
Valued Contributor

Okay I’ll admit it- I love PenFed and here’s another reason why: My son started rebuilding in 8/17 and applied for a PenFed checking, savings and credit card. He actually got turned down for everything but a RESTRICTED savings account. I didn’t even know there was such a thing. He kept the savings (instead of getting angry and closing it), continued his rebuild and bided his time. In 6/18 after his scores had improved they approved him for a $500 promise card and a checking account and all restrictions were removed. In 1/19 they approved him for a $3.5K PCR Card and in 3/19 they gave him a CLI on his Promise card to $5K. So I think PenFed responds to improvement if you are willing to wait it out.
Message 7 of 17
rockstar53
Valued Member

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, sounds like I may have a similar story working with them to build history over time.

I decided this morning to move forward with their terms and accepted the card, thanks again.

Message 8 of 17
Hex
Valued Contributor

OP- The Power Cash Rewards Card pays 1.5% cash back on all purchases unless you are current/former military member or you have an Access America Checking account with them. In that case you get 2% back instead. I don’t think you mentioned if you were planning to open a checking account with them but if you are going to (and you don't have to) you should know that there is a steep $11 per month fee to have that account unless you do one of two things:
1) A direct deposit of at least $500 a month into the checking account ($125 per week works). Or
2) Maintain a balance of at least $500 in the checking account.

Happy to hear you accepted their offer. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 17
rockstar53
Valued Member

@Hex, you mentioned after having the PCR card for awhile you realized your PCR Card would never get upgraded to a Signature Card because it was issued for <$5K I asked them to give me a new card instead of the CLI and they did. So basically you have 2 PCR cards now- $2K and $39K- did I read that correctly?!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.