Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approved For Amex Platinum

tag
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Pre-Approved For Amex Platinum

I just got an offer from Amex. They Pre-Approved me for a Platinum Card. First time ever I've been pre-approved for a high-end card. I used to have the Platinum but got rid of it when they lost the Costco partnership and the Prestige and Chase Sapphire Reserve stepped up. So far, I haven't seen anything to get me back with Amex Platinum. I currently have the CSR. What do you all think? Should I waste a Pre-Approval for the Platinum? Is it worth the $550? Or should I wait for some future perk down the line. I imagine that if I'm pre-approved now, I'll be pre-approved when the Amex Platinum becomes more attractive. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-Approved For Amex Platinum

What SUB offer is attached? There’s currently a way to get 100K MR points through CardMatch for some folks.
Message 2 of 18
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
What SUB offer is attached? There’s currently a way to get 100K MR points through CardMatch for some folks.

60K MR Points after $5000 spend in 3 months.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your AMEX pre-approval! I would wait for your SUB to go 100k or I would call customer service and ask for the 100k. If they balk at giving you the 100k, then I would hold off applying until I got a better offer with better SUB, just my .02

Message 4 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I got this email today as well inviting me to upgrade the green to Plat for same offer.
Message 5 of 18
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I may just go ahead and get it. A lot of people still think it is worth the $550. We do travel internationally every year. I guess I could use CSR for the UR points and everyday spend and use AMEX Platinum for the perks like Uber and the airline credits, lounge, etc.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's good to you (it's good for you). Flaming Ember, Hot Wax label, 1971

Message 7 of 18
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Anyone feel like the $5000 spend in 3 months is a bit excessive? They already have the highest AF, they are shooting for the highest minimum spend as well?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_skywrote:

Anyone feel like the $5000 spend in 3 months is a bit excessive? They already have the highest AF, they are shooting for the highest minimum spend as well?

I honestly don't think it is, but that is just my opinion :-).  In my case when i got this card, i had to spend $1666/month which is about what my bills are.  If you don't already spend that much a month on bills, it won't be worth getting as you would have to do manufacturing spending.  Gather all your bills and see if you can come up with that amount/month. Here are mine, just to give you an idea:  NetFlix, water bill, electric bill, cable, cellphone, per insurance? car insurance, home owners insurance, timeshare?, home alarm, groceries, gas, life insurance, HOA fee?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, anyone knows if the pre-qual link exist? i can't seem to find it anywhere on AMEX site.

Thanks!!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.