cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem applying for new Paypal Cashback Mastercard...

tag
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Problem applying for new Paypal Cashback Mastercard...

I unfroze my TU yesterday, applied today, & was told I must unfreeze my TU before they can give me a result. 2 minutes later I get a 3 alerts my TU report was pulled.

I cannot get through on any numbers to follow up on this. Seems like I need an account to actually talk to someone one the PP MC system.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Problem applying for new Paypal Cashback Mastercard...

You mentioned you applied today. Who did you speak with that mentioned about unfreezing TU? What were the results displayed on the screen once you submitted the application?

Message 2 of 8
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Unfroze my TU yesterday morning via the TU website. I didn't speak to anyone...did everything via respective web portals. The message on page after I submitted my application said 'you must unfreeze your TU before we can proceed'.

I finally reached someone at Paypal & escalated to a supervisor. She verified my app was declined due to a frozen TU report but I have proof of a pull. She suggested I wait for the deline letter in the mail & file a dispute.

Message 3 of 8
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Follow up. Got the letter saying they were unable to pull my TU because of a freeze but I have proof that they did a HP on my TU.

Just looking for direction here. Dispute with TU or push on Sync?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Physh1 wrote:

Follow up. Got the letter saying they were unable to pull my TU because of a freeze but I have proof that they did a HP on my TU.

Just looking for direction here. Dispute with TU or push on Sync?

Thanks!

DO NOT dispute with Transunion. 

File a CFPB complaint against Synchrony Bank and for what you consider as a suitable outcome you can state an approval for the card (if you still want it) or a withdrawal (that's the exact term to use) of the inquiry.  It's possible that they could refer the complaint themselves to the FDIC or they could close out the complaint with instructions for you to file a FDIC complaint yourself, but the CFPB is the correct starting point.

You'll need to have some patience as this process can take 1-2 months to resolve. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 8
LukeJoseph
Established Member

Nearly the same exact thing just happened to me, but I never had a freeze.

Message 6 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@LukeJoseph wrote:

Nearly the same exact thing just happened to me, but I never had a freeze.

I commented in the thread that you started on your specific issue.    Please be sure to follow up there as it can get confusing for others to try to follow 2 threads that are each actively discussing the same person's problem - thanks!

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 8
trvlscmmr
Regular Contributor

Is Paypal MC only hard pulling TransUnion or both TU/EX?

Maybe you had a different file locked they want to see in addition to your TU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.