cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

Omg you just made me feel so much better ! I thought Discover was tryna hold out on the 🧀But it makes perfect sense regarding the rewards and credit limit ratio , Thanks!
Message 51 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't get me wrong, many of us unnecessarily still pound the pavement to drive our Discover limits higher and for no good reason.  I continue to push it upward simply because I can and I want to see how high Discover will go for someone using 0%-1% of their credit limit per cycle.  Perhaps with this new denial message/reason that I was given, I've finally found my ceiling. 

Message 52 of 162
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

I have had my Discover card for a little more than 4 months now. Started at $3k, at 60 days hit the button and received $1.1k CLI, at 90 hit it again and received a $700 CLI, hit at 120 and was denied. Letter came in today.

"INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT DISCOVER CARD CREDIT LIMIT"

Can't say that I blame them. I going to hit it again next month, just because I can.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 53 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Can't say that I blame them. I going to hit it again next month, just because I can.

Oh, you can hit it again next week, or even tomorrow if you'd like.  Don't be shy.

Message 54 of 162
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Oh, you can hit it again next week, or even tomorrow if you'd like.  Don't be shy.

That was a brutal shot to the body!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 55 of 162
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it's been speculated that Discover since late 2018 has been "tightening up" with respect to giving out CLIs.  People on this forum have referenced articles where this has been suggested, while also simply posting that CLIs seem to have felt more difficult to obtain.

I received my first piece of concrete proof though that something has indeed changed on their end.  As you all know, when you are denied a CLI from Discover you receive a denial letter in the mail and are provided with a denial reason.  "Insufficient experience with current Discover card credit limit" is the reason that is received seemingly 99% of the time.  In the case of my 70+ denial letters, it's the reason I've been given 100% of the time... until today.

The denial letter today stated, "Low usage on existing line of credit in previous month(s)."  Big difference here.  First let me say that for a very long time that I've strongly believed that the standard "insufficient experience..." denial reason was related only to the element of time and not dollars at all.  To support my argument on that front, there were times that I'd receive that denial reason and then spend literally nothing on the card, only to receive a CLI a cycle or two later.  This to me proved that "experience" simply meant time, as no additional dollars were needed for a CLI.  This new denial reason though definitely does refer to spend, which only strengthens my previous belief that the standard "insufficient experience" denial reason indeed points to only time elapsed.

The reason I consider this new denial reason "proof" that something has changed with Discover is because on my end, nothing has changed.  Discover gets maybe $100-$200 of spend per cycle out of me.  During months where the 5% category doesn't suit me, they've seen as little as $0 spend or a low 2-digit spend.  During months where their 5% category has been meaningful (like groceries) they've seen a healthier (say) $500-$600 spend.  So, if nothing has changed in terms of my use of the card, to me it means Discover has changed something on their end in terms of "tightening up" with respect to CLIs.

Now I'm wondering what metric they're actually looking at, whether it's raw dollars or percentage of limit used.  I'm going to keep an eye on that in the months going forward as I receive my denial letters.

Just as an opinion here, I think this is a very smart move on the part of Discover and am surprised that for years they haven't implemented more strict restrictions to CL growth.  I think it's ridiculous for people with > $40k limits (for example) to receive $3000-$4000 CLIs when they're spending maybe $150/mo on average on the card.  Perhaps that has changed now, which makes a lot of financial sense for Discover. 

Funny you should say that, because just today I read of unexpected $7000, $5000, and $3000 $7000, $6000, $5000, and $3000 credit limit increases by Discover, so if they're actually tightening up, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

I believe that trying to find a rhyme, a reason, a pattern, a policy, or a trend in Discover CLI world is an exercise in futility.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 56 of 162
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

They threw me another 300 dollars

So I have gone from $1800 in September 2017 to $2200 (auto increase) about 11 months in.

Then after at least 15 denials for an increase, I got one in early 2019 up to $3300.

Then I just got one this month (June) to $3600.

Just tried today, but was given a no.

Message 57 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Funny you should say that, because just today I read of unexpected $7000, $5000, and $3000 $7000, $6000, $5000, and $3000 credit limit increases by Discover, so if they're actually tightening up, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

I believe that trying to find a rhyme, a reason, a pattern, a policy, or a trend in Discover CLI world is an exercise in futility.

And those profiles are not mine.  Again, I'm not trying to find a rhyme or reason for anything.  I'm simply stating a fact that something has changed.  You don't go from getting 70 identical denial letters to finally seeing one that says something completely different unless something changes on your end or the end of the lender.  Nothing changed on my end, so something definitely changed with Discover with respect to how they see my profile.  I can't comment on any of the other CLIs you posted about above.

Message 58 of 162
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

So when can you request the first CLI?  I was approved for my Discover it $15k on 6/7. I am already using 14,586.85 of my limit which I will be paying off in the next day or so or should I wait for the statement to cut so it's reported as the high balance used?  It still says no payment due so I don't know when the first statement cut will be.

Message 59 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

So when can you request the first CLI?  I was approved for my Discover it $15k on 6/7. I am already using 14,586.85 of my limit which I will be paying off in the next day or so or should I wait for the statement to cut so it's reported as the high balance used?  It still says no payment due so I don't know when the first statement cut will be.

I would definitely let that report as your high balance.  Taking your high [reported] balance to near 100% of your limit and paying it off quickly is probably the best thing you can do to stimulate an auto-CLI from a lender.  I would suggest not requesting a CLI, but rather waiting until after your 3rd or 4th statement cuts and see if Discover throws you an auto-CLI.  If/when they do, immediately call and ask if any more has been left on the table, as many are able to "double dip" and get more (sometimes another CLI of the same amount) immediately and without a HP.  That's how I would proceed if I were you.  That's not to say you wouldn't be able to get a self-initiated CLI sooner, but I think waiting the 3-4 months for an auto-CLI coupled with a high potential double dip is the smartest way to go.

Message 60 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.