cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pull the trigger or no?

tag
Dna1701

Pull the trigger or no?

I am new to the forums so I apologize if for some reason I am not following protocol. I was In the process of a build out of my credit. I have 3 cards, Citi diamond secured, cap 1 qs, and amex bce. Citi I've had for 4yrs the other 2 for two months each. My scores are 700+ across all 3 bureaus ex715 being the lowest. I am a member of NFCU and would like to apply for their cash rewards card as I did not want to go flagship knowing that the lowest limit was 5000, I was afraid to waste an inquiry on a denial. My question is should I wait a few months to apply or apply now to maybe keep my AAoA from falling under the 1yr 6mos it is

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Re: Pull the trigger or no?

Welcome to the forums. They pull TU 9 so if you know what your score is for that you will be better able to gauge what you could be approved for based on DPs on the forum. Navy is also very much values relationship and rewards accordingly. How long have you banked with them? Do you have direct deposit set up? These aren't required but can help depending on your profile. Based on what info you provided I think you should be safe to apply for cash rewards but it's up to you. Even if you do get a lower starting limit they are generous with CLIs and you should be able to grow the card rapidly. 

Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Dna1701 wrote:

I am new to the forums so I apologize if for some reason I am not following protocol. I was In the process of a build out of my credit. I have 3 cards, Citi diamond secured, cap 1 qs, and amex bce. Citi I've had for 4yrs the other 2 for two months each. My scores are 700+ across all 3 bureaus ex715 being the lowest. I am a member of NFCU and would like to apply for their cash rewards card as I did not want to go flagship knowing that the lowest limit was 5000, I was afraid to waste an inquiry on a denial. My question is should I wait a few months to apply or apply now to maybe keep my AAoA from falling under the 1yr 6mos it is

I think your chances are good for approval.

I don't understand your last sentence. If you get a new credit card your AAoA will be reduced.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Dna1701 wrote:

I think your chances are good for approval.

I don't understand your last sentence. If you get a new credit card your AAoA will be reduced.

Actually their last sentence makes sense as-is even though it got truncated.  Right now their AAoA is going to be roughly somewhere between 18-21 months and they're concerned about possible consequences of an approval dropping their AAoA to under 18 months.

The bigger concern IMO is that OP had a very thin profile and just added 2 cards 2 months ago.    I'd suggest waiting another 3-4 months for applying for another card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 7
pakratus
Contributor

I might wait until the younger cards are at least 3 months but you are probably fine to apply for the Cash Rewards.

Message 5 of 7
Dna1701

Thank you all for your replies, I am very grateful I will take them into consideration and let you guys know what I decide to do and the outcome as well

Message 6 of 7
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@Dna1701 wrote:

I think you should wait a few months. I am in the same boat. I am rebuilding, got two cards in two months, and now I am working on improving my scores over the next few months. I am in the process of joining Navy Fed, and hope to get one of their cards next year.

Good luck on your credit journey. Hopefully 2022 will see you getting the cards you want.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.