Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for the AmEx PRG?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for the AmEx PRG?

@Anonymous wrote:

just to clarify: I haven't been pre-approved for the Amex Platinum.. just the PDG

Alll I was pre-approved for was the Amex Green card with zero points.  I came out with BCE with 250 dollar rewards and PRG with 50,000 points when applying.  If you are prequalified for PRG you should be in good shape.  I think PRG is better deal (well unless you get 100,000 point platinum offer) but if you think Platinum is better than go for it

Message 11 of 27
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all of the advice.. I think I'll send in my application in on the first of September for the Platinum card then! (don't have any travel plans until November)

I was over here thinking that I needed at least a 5 year credit history as well as credit scores in the 800's to be in the running for an Amex Platinum

No, I myself am an example of this not being the case. My AAoA was around 2 years and my depth is 3 years, so you can definitely get approved if you're new to credit!

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I applied for the PRG. Apparently there's still a fraud alert on my credit report. I had my middle name changed on my Transunion report a month ago and it's still there. Anyone know how to get rid of that?

Anyway, I had to verify everything except my blood type just to have them tell me that their system is down, so I'll have to wait 24-48 hours to get a response to my application.

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

double update: now AmEx is making me mail in an official letter from my bank to their office in Salt Lake City before they can process this application... but I did manage to get that fraud alert off my account though. 

For all of this work, I'm gonna be pretty pissed if my application doesn't get approved!

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were wagering, I'd guess 10K SL going to 30K in 3 months plus a little...

Message 15 of 27
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

double update: now AmEx is making me mail in an official letter from my bank to their office in Salt Lake City before they can process this application... but I did manage to get that fraud alert off my account though. 

For all of this work, I'm gonna be pretty pissed if my application doesn't get approved!

You applied with the 50k offer right? 

For amex plat only ever apply with 100k offer, for Gold 50k. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is correct; I applied with the 50k offer. 

I guess I'll update this page in a few weeks when AmEx finally gets my bank letter that verifies I am who I say I am. 

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodluck op! It's a good card so it's worth the hassle..
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

third update:

Amex got my letter, however it takes 2-3 business days to verify the bank letter.. and they wouldn't call Charles Schwab to verify that they indeed sent the letter...

This process has been so annoying... all because one of the bureaus put a fraud alert on my credit report without notifying me -_-

I applied for this card on July 27th or 29th (it's been so long that I've forgotten) and I still won't know if I've gotten approved or denyed yet until Tuesday or Wednesday -_-

I'm actually gonna be pretty pissed if I get denied, specifically because I had to verify everything except my bloodtype and they've put me through the ringer to get the application through.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

4th update:

I called today to see if they looked at my application. They didn't, because apparently their system is down.. so it's "going to take a maximum of 3-5 business days" for them to review my application. 

Remember, I applied for this card on the 29th of July.

This is the second time I've had to wait on them because their systems were down...

Does anyone know a complaint number that I can contact? Should I reach out to the BBB? 2-3 weeks to reach a decision on a credit card application is absolutely insane, and the call center in *insert random country here* is of no help. It's like they can't think for themselves, they just repeat what they are told to say -_-

I @ mentioned their twitter handle asking them to reach out to me via direct message, but I haven't received a response. 

TL;DR AmEx asked me to send a letter from my bank to them verifying who I am, they received it on Friday, but due to their **bleep**ty system, they won't be able to verify that letter until next week -___-

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.