cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft pull credit limit increases

revjamesl
Valued Contributor

Soft pull credit limit increases

Is there a link anywhere that specifies which banks are soft pull credit limit increases?

 

Thanks.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | Discover It $45.9k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $40.7k |Barclay Arrival+ WEMC $40k | PENFED Platinum Rewards VS $35k | Lowes $35k | BoA Better Balance Rewards $30k | AMEX EDP $25k | Cap 1 QS $23.25k | NASA Platinum $20k | Chase Freedom $15k | Synchrony Haverty's $16.5k | BBVA NBA Rockets AMEX $15k | FNBO AMEX $15k | Citi Diamond Preferred $10.7k | Best Buy $10k | Synchrony Rooms-to-Go $10k | US Bank Cash+ $7.5k | AMEX BCE $6k | Barclay Financing Visa 1k | |

AU on DW Accounts: Discover It $40k I AMEX BCE $30k | Chase Marriot $29.8k |

Credit Scores: 800 EQ/833 TU/831 EX
10 REPLIES 10
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases

There are a few lenders who always (or almost always) do soft pulls.  However, there are quite a few others who may do either, so you'd need to be prepared for the hard pull.   Some will soft pull but offer to hard pull if you want to appeal it for a higher limit.  Sometimes, it depends on how you ask for it.  I've heard that Navy FCU will hard pull if you call and ask a CSR about it but if you do it via the Request CLI link on website or mobile app, it's a soft pull.  And then there are some who never soft pull, unless you maybe you get an auto-CLI from them.   Keep in mind as you do your research that some lenders have changed.  For example, a couple of years ago, Bank of America went from doing hard pulls to soft pulls. 

 

Here's the most recent thread I think I've seen on the topic, and there is a link in it to a Doctor of Credit web article about soft pulls. 

 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Which-Cards-Offer-SP-CLIs/m-p/6061020

 

Some that I know that normally do soft pulls are:

 

  • Goldman Sachs Apple Card
  • Bank of America
  • Navy FCU (via mobile app or website)
  • Discover
  • Capital One
  • Citi
  • AMEX - Normally soft pulls but may HP or ask for IV or FR
  • Wells Fargo may CLI on soft pull but they ask if you will accept HP

 

 



Length of Credit > 35 years; Total Credit Limits > $500K
AoOA > 28 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2020); Gardening since 08/15/20.
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 11
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases


@Aim_High wrote:

There are a few lenders who always (or almost always) do soft pulls.  However, there are quite a few others who may do either, so you'd need to be prepared for the hard pull.   Some will soft pull but offer to hard pull if you want to appeal it for a higher limit.  Sometimes, it depends on how you ask for it.  I've heard that Navy FCU will hard pull if you call and ask a CSR about it but if you do it via the Request CLI link on website or mobile app, it's a soft pull.  And then there are some who never soft pull, unless you maybe you get an auto-CLI from them.   Keep in mind as you do your research that some lenders have changed.  For example, a couple of years ago, Bank of America went from doing hard pulls to soft pulls. 

 

Here's the most recent thread I think I've seen on the topic, and there is a link in it to a Doctor of Credit web article about soft pulls. 

 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Which-Cards-Offer-SP-CLIs/m-p/6061020

 

Some that I know that normally do soft pulls are:

 

  • Goldman Sachs Apple Card
  • Bank of America
  • Navy FCU (via mobile app or website)
  • Discover
  • Capital One
  • Citi
  • AMEX - Normally soft pulls but may HP or ask for IV or FR
  • Wells Fargo may CLI on soft pull but they ask if you will accept HP

 

 


I thought Citi does HP CLIs.  Or is that just for retail?  I know I had a shell and Exxon back in the day and requested CLIs and suddenly my phone blew up with HP alerts.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 3 of 11
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases

Just for kicks and giggles I asked for a CLI on my CapOne Quicksilver card last week; I got the commonly reported $300 increase (from $3,000 to $3,300), and so far at least, none of my credit reports show even a soft pull.  Go figure.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

Message 4 of 11
ImTheDevil
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases


@designated_knitter wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

There are a few lenders who always (or almost always) do soft pulls.  However, there are quite a few others who may do either, so you'd need to be prepared for the hard pull.   Some will soft pull but offer to hard pull if you want to appeal it for a higher limit.  Sometimes, it depends on how you ask for it.  I've heard that Navy FCU will hard pull if you call and ask a CSR about it but if you do it via the Request CLI link on website or mobile app, it's a soft pull.  And then there are some who never soft pull, unless you maybe you get an auto-CLI from them.   Keep in mind as you do your research that some lenders have changed.  For example, a couple of years ago, Bank of America went from doing hard pulls to soft pulls. 

 

Here's the most recent thread I think I've seen on the topic, and there is a link in it to a Doctor of Credit web article about soft pulls. 

 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Which-Cards-Offer-SP-CLIs/m-p/6061020

 

Some that I know that normally do soft pulls are:

 

  • Goldman Sachs Apple Card
  • Bank of America
  • Navy FCU (via mobile app or website)
  • Discover
  • Capital One
  • Citi
  • AMEX - Normally soft pulls but may HP or ask for IV or FR
  • Wells Fargo may CLI on soft pull but they ask if you will accept HP

 

 


I thought Citi does HP CLIs.  Or is that just for retail?  I know I had a shell and Exxon back in the day and requested CLIs and suddenly my phone blew up with HP alerts.


Citi retail increases are HP. On the core cards there may be language indicating a SP is possible. If one isn't happy with the increase based on the SP, they can elect to take a HP for a further potential increase.



Platinum NPSL | Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | FNBO Prime Visa | FNBO Evergreen | PenFed PCR | Navy cashRewards | Navy Platinum | Apple | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | Key Bank auto loan (2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus S-Line)





Message 5 of 11
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases


@ImTheDevil wrote:

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

 

 ... Some that I know that normally do soft pulls are:

  • Citi ...

I thought Citi does HP CLIs.  Or is that just for retail?  I know I had a shell and Exxon back in the day and requested CLIs and suddenly my phone blew up with HP alerts.


Citi retail increases are HP. On the core cards there may be language indicating a SP is possible. If one isn't happy with the increase based on the SP, they can elect to take a HP for a further potential increase.


Right, I was talking more of my experience with core cards.  For my Citi Costco, for example, I can ask for CLI online every six months.  It's not a big increase per time but it's a soft pull.  It's usually been $3K but during covid decreased to $1.5K. 

 

My last CITI retail card was a Sears card but I closed it several years ago.    



Length of Credit > 35 years; Total Credit Limits > $500K
AoOA > 28 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2020); Gardening since 08/15/20.
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 11
FishingGuy
Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases

If you call in you and speak with a rep you can specifically request a soft pull CLI,  very often they have the option of a soft or hard pull.   

Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases

 


@ImTheDevil wrote:


Citi retail increases are HP.


Depends on the specific card.   The Home Depot store card  for example is a HP.  Macy's AMEX and Sears Mastercard however are SPs.



(4/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 815 (TU) 822 (EQ) 808
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases


@coldfusion wrote:

 


@ImTheDevil wrote:


Citi retail increases are HP.


Depends on the specific card.   The Home Depot store card  for example is a HP.  Macy's AMEX and Sears Mastercard however are SPs.


Sears MC is YEMV.  I've seen both outcomes.  Mine (past requests) were HP.

Message 9 of 11
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: Soft pull credit limit increases

Capital One and Synchrony 



+AU on: 2008 Sears MC $2,001 | 2016 SEARS Store Card $2,001 | 2011 Synchrony Home $5,500 | 2003 FNBO Visa $9,900 | 2008 Macys Amex $3,400 | 2008 Kohls $2,000 | 2008 JC Penny $500 | 2016 TJX Mastercard $1,500 | 2018 AAdvantage Aviator MC $5,600 | 2018 HSN $4,500
Member of: Andrews FCU | PENFED CU | SDFCU | Alliant CU | NASA FCU | NWFCU | Ally Bank | BofA | Merrill | Greenwood CU | Elements Financial CU | Ocean State CU | Wells Fargo | Citizens Bank | Chase Bank | RI Credit Union | US Financial FCU
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.