cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy: Amex Delta or Amex Gold first?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strategy: Amex Delta or Amex Gold first?

I'm in a re-building stage, gardening since July 2018. I want to get back into reward cards. I'd very much like the Amex Platinum Delta and the Amex Gold. I'm not sure if that’s realistic at this point. Pre-approval page says I'm pre-qual for the Gold Delta, and all the Hiltons, for whatever that’s worth. I'm curious what strategy I should take? Delta card or Gold card first? Garden longer? Both at the same time? I can cover the annual fees and hit the spending requirement within 3 months on both without stressing out my financials.

In December 2016 I had a 5-year-old Barclay credit card, 7-year-old Chase Ink, and a 2-year-old Brooks Brothers card. By April of 2017 each of those cards had been closed by the issuer. No CO's, no collections, no BK. But, 150 days late on all three. I paid the Chase and the Barclay in full January 2018. I paid the Brooks Brothers in a settlement midyear 2017. I have paid my student loan without missing a month since 2005.

June 2018, I financed a car with BMW financial, clean payment history 19 months now.

July 2018 I was able to obtain a regular Cap 1 Plat with $1,000 credit limit CLI November up to $1,500 clean payment history 18 months. I kept a low balance for months, then went up to a high balance, not realizing the damage that did to credit scores until I found this forum. 1/24/2019 I'll report a zero balance and the Experian score simulator estimates that will move my score to 710.

EX FICO 8 is 695 (Maybe 710 soon?)

EX FICO Bankcard 8 is 698

My Car loan is at 30% paid off @1.9% interest. $12,262 remain

1 student loan is 64% paid off and the other is 32% paid off, both @2.33% interest. $4,500 remain

I keep these open to keep making positive payment history.

Annual income, $412,000.

I have 7 inquires on my EX - 2 falling off this month, 2 BMW falling off in June ,1 Cap 1 falling off July, and 2 are over a year old, or real near 2 years, both a mistake of not being patient.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Strategy: Amex Delta or Amex Gold first?

You can apply for both at the same time. You only need a 641 to get into the Delta and close to the same for the charge. 680 would be the minimum for a solid chance while 700+ would pretty much be a lock, depending on your reports 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Brian_Earl_Spilner do I call and ask to do two apps on one HP? Does it matter which they run for first?
Message 3 of 16
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you @Brian_Earl_Spilner do I call and ask to do two apps on one HP? Does it matter which they run for first?

Have you check to see if you prequal for any? You might want to do that which would give a strong indicitator of what you would be approve for but if youre going to cold app it, you would want to do it with one of them and if approve, the other app should be a SP. Im not sure if calling would result in one HP or two HP (I assume one but you never know).

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@silver_idle

The pre approved page ha all the Hilton cards and the Delta Gold showing. I didn’t look at the interest rates, didn’t hear about that strategy until later, but also read on here that there may be an issue with one making too many visits to that page. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I was waiting until I’m ready to apply to go back.
Message 5 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

People run them back to back online. The chances of a single HP is slim to none. It won't help to call. After an approval, you shouldn't expect an SP approval for about 2 months, which is how long it takes for them to report your new account and began SPing you. At that point, any new applications will more than likely be SP inquiries unless there's something they don't like about your profile.

Message 6 of 16
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Apply for one and if u get approved AMEX will “most” likely use that credit bureau pull for you to get the other card.
My personal strategy was - Credit card (Delta,Hilton, EDP , etc) then wait about 15 min and apply for a Charge card (Plat, Gold or Green) .

Again just my personal experience.

It can be different for others.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow, only wait 15 minutes between apps? Or if I want 1 than a possible soft pull on the next, wait about 2 months?

Thank you

Message 8 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned upthread, there's no guarantees. You'll have to see how it fares for you since individual experiences will vary. At the end of the day, if 2 HPs occur it's not the end of the world. If you only get 1, great. But, temper your expectations when you decide to pull the trigger.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with FinStar that you should expect two and be happy if you get one. I apped for Delta Gold and Hilton Honors less than an hour apart and was approved for both on the same HP. Others have tried the same and gotten two. Definitely a YMMV situation.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.