Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony - Unable to Verify...

tag
JFoBoston
Established Member

Synchrony - Unable to Verify...

Just wondering if this is now common practice and why I may have been targeted for this...

Applied for Synchrony's Car Credit (don't need it, but wanted a backup for my son who is going to college with his vehicle). 

This wasn't an instant approval as has generally been the case.  Got a letter stating I needed to call in to "verify" my identity. 

After getting mis-directed (3) times, finally spoke to someone who said "it looks like they need you to go to a website, and record a 10 second video of yourself holding your ID" before they can consider me for lending.

I have 3 open accounts with them already, no issues, high-ish lines... 

Is this the new norm?  

I told them to cancel the applications... I wasn't going to jump through these hoops for this company.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Synchrony - Unable to Verify...

I keep reading about this. Im all for verification. These fraudsters just wont stop but  it seems like abit much and im not sure i want to do that . I have enough credit cards and im glad i got in the Sync  Tank when all you needed was to hit submit while in ones boxers shorts....Smiley Wink from the comfort of ones home lol

Message 2 of 24
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I had this happen recently for my Amazon store card. You can do it from your phone. It didn't take too long and I think it is a good way to ensure that the person applying is actually themself. I've also seen this happen at Cap1, but they just have you take photos of your driver's license. You do have to call in after doing it to let them know it's done, but I don't mind. I've been a victim of ID theft repeatedly, so this new, simple process is fantastic in my book.

Message 3 of 24
JFoBoston
Established Member

Thanks for the replies... I guess it makes sense and seems to be more common as I read other companies have done it.  I understand it's for my protection.

I'll have to get gussied up (put pants on) to record a video I can reuse... lol

Cheers all!

Message 4 of 24
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

They did this to me last year.... didn't go through the process... send me a link to upload ID & SS card maybe then I'd do it.. taking a selfie then calling back seems a bit much to me. 

but I know fraud keeps expanding so they must all do something.. Cap1 made me call in the other day just to confirm my identity but it was 30 seconds and easy.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to do the same video nonsense but then was approved.

To me it's like TSA security if pulling me aside to pat down helps prevent another 9/11 then so be it.  If this nonsense helps prevent identity theft then so be it.

Message 6 of 24
ScarlettClone
Valued Member

I had to do this for a Lowes card, but they decided that I was not myself and I could not be approved.  They would not allow me to provide any other proof of idenity even though I offered items such as passport and Social Security card. 

Message 7 of 24
JFoBoston
Established Member

That's beyond annoying...  sorry to hear that.  I think that's likely why I didn't proceed with it.  More agrevation than its worth, but it does make me wonder why I'm all of a sudden I'm a security risk. 

Message 8 of 24
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@JFoBoston wrote:

That's beyond annoying...  sorry to hear that.  I think that's likely why I didn't proceed with it.  More agrevation than its worth, but it does make me wonder why I'm all of a sudden I'm a security risk. 

My theoryabout these increased measures is that they are pulling alternative data sources like Sagestream and CoreLogic to see what they have on file. Those sources are plagued with erroneous information, which makes it look like we are fraudsters. I freeze most of those so they aren't out here providing inaccurate info about to me to anyone that will pay them. Also, freezing it makes it more difficult for someone to try and steal my identity. 

Message 9 of 24
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@JFoBoston wrote:

Just wondering if this is now common practice and why I may have been targeted for this...

Applied for Synchrony's Car Credit (don't need it, but wanted a backup for my son who is going to college with his vehicle). 

This wasn't an instant approval as has generally been the case.  Got a letter stating I needed to call in to "verify" my identity. 

After getting mis-directed (3) times, finally spoke to someone who said "it looks like they need you to go to a website, and record a 10 second video of yourself holding your ID" before they can consider me for lending.

I have 3 open accounts with them already, no issues, high-ish lines... 

Is this the new norm?  

I told them to cancel the applications... I wasn't going to jump through these hoops for this company.

I had to do this when I applied after being pre-qualified for the Sweetwater music credit card.

The good news? The rep I spoke to afterward asked me what limit I wanted...and then gave me exactly what I asked. Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.