Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Joesh
New Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Joesh wrote:

Thanks for this. What are some recommended ways to use this card before asking for the 3x CLI? I made a big purchse between 20-40% of the credit line each of the 2 months and paid them off immediately (before the charge even posted - so I had a negative balance in both instances). In the first month I posted a statement of 2% utilization, this statement I have 4% utilization and my statement cuts on like the 19th. Should I make my 2nd statement post $0?

2nd question. I added my fiancee as an AU. Can I add her income to mine in the CLI request?

Can anyone answer either of these? Thanks!

AMEX BCP : $30K | Citi Forward : $15K | Citi Dividend : $14K | BoA Travel Rewards : 7K | NFL Cash Rewards : $6K | Chase Freedom : $10K | Discover IT : $6.5K | AMEX BCE: $5k | Age: 26 | Occupation: Grad Student | CreditKarma: 800TU/812EQ |
Message 31 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@Joesh wrote:

Thanks for this. What are some recommended ways to use this card before asking for the 3x CLI? I made a big purchse between 20-40% of the credit line each of the 2 months and paid them off immediately (before the charge even posted - so I had a negative balance in both instances). In the first month I posted a statement of 2% utilization, this statement I have 4% utilization and my statement cuts on like the 19th. Should I make my 2nd statement post $0?

2nd question. I added my fiancee as an AU. Can I add her income to mine in the CLI request?

Spending patterns that increase the chances of receiving CLI is one of the most difficult things to predict. One would need to be an Amex insider to really say that with accuracy. On the forums we have to go by experiences and data points provided by others. For obvious reasons something like this will never officially come out. In my opinion you are doing everything right though. Most of us have a charge card mentality with Amex credit products. If possible always let the statement close at 0, especially for Amex. Having said that I have also seen posts where folks received CLI without following this type of pattern. It is not a good idea to emulate them as you never know what their income and credit profile were which are other critical factors.

As far as adding fiancee's income, it may be gray area. If Amex requests documentation/4506T, they may see a discrepancy down the road. You are a better judge than the forum Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 5,432
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

I have a $15k income (full-time student, part time worker), and my current AMEX CL is $3300.  Would requesting the full 3x to $9900 trigger a FR since my income is only 15k?  I want at least a $5000 credit limit on my AMEX.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 33 of 5,432
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@ceemee2203 wrote:

Ok, I have a question about counter offers, can you get a counter offer online or only by phone?

Both process work the same way. If anyone has recently experienced anything different please let us know.

I received a counteroffer online and accepted it.  In other news ,Amex is awesome.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 34 of 5,432
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

I just heard something new from a CSR, and was wondering if anyone had the same information giving to them.

I was coming up on my 6 month CLI request, (feb3,2013) and called AMEX to verify this date to avoid jumping the gun and getting another 90 days tacked onto my wait. 

I was surprised when the said I was eligible for a CLI in June of this year.  I asked why not 6 months from my last CLI.  They shared that if you move limits (which I did) between 2 cards (blue to Hilton honors) then that counts as a CLI, and resets the 6 month clock.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and was the CSR accurate?  I would be annoyed with myself if I moved a limit 2 months before I could triple it, and now have to wait another 6 months.

Thanks everyone.

Message 35 of 5,432
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:

I just heard something new from a CSR, and was wondering if anyone had the same information giving to them.

I was coming up on my 6 month CLI request, (feb3,2013) and called AMEX to verify this date to avoid jumping the gun and getting another 90 days tacked onto my wait. 

I was surprised when the said I was eligible for a CLI in June of this year.  I asked why not 6 months from my last CLI.  They shared that if you move limits (which I did) between 2 cards (blue to Hilton honors) then that counts as a CLI, and resets the 6 month clock.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and was the CSR accurate?  I would be annoyed with myself if I moved a limit 2 months before I could triple it, and now have to wait another 6 months.

Thanks everyone.

That doesn't add up at all. If that were the case, then they should not have allowed the CL adjustment as it would have occured during the 6 month ineligible window ? Please call again to see if you get a different answer from a more informed CSR. Hopefully they have not made any notations on your account so you are not given the same answer. Please report back as it will be very helpful to others. Hope you get a different (and better) answer Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 5,432
bmd0224
New Contributor

The 3X CLI is without a doubt a YMMV senario. No gurantees. 

01/11/13:
EQ Fico: 716 (from myfico)
TU Fico: 719 (from Walmart)
EX Fico: 719 (from myfico)

Chase Sapphire Pref. II AMEX Platinum II Amex PRG II Amex SPG II Citi AAdvantage II Barclays US Airways II Chase Freedom
Message 37 of 5,432
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

@pdog661 wrote:

Thanks everyone.

That doesn't add up at all. If that were the case, then they should not have allowed the CL adjustment as it would have occured during the 6 month ineligible window ? Please call again to see if you get a different answer from a more informed CSR. Hopefully they have not made any notations on your account so you are not given the same answer. Please report back as it will be very helpful to others. Hope you get a different (and better) answer Smiley Happy

That is funny.  I said the same thing to the CSR.  She even said that I could move a limit today, but it would once again re-set the clock.  She said she could over ride the transfer window, but not the CLI window.  Very odd.  I will call tomorrow and speak with someone else.  I will report back with the answer. 

Message 38 of 5,432
Ryylon

Just got approved for the Blue Everyday card. My limit is $9,500. On my 61st day should I ask for $28,500 or only do $25,000 so I don't have to submit my information. I don't think they would approve me for over $25k since that is about half of what I make a year.

Message 39 of 5,432
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Ryylon wrote:

Just got approved for the Blue Everyday card. My limit is $9,500. On my 61st day should I ask for $28,500 or only do $25,000 so I don't have to submit my information. I don't think they would approve me for over $25k since that is about half of what I make a year.

I wouldn't ask for more than $25K. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.