Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous,

I have 4 revovers / 3 charge cards / 1 loan.  And I am very certain that my last CLI was last October.

Per your expertise, is POT regarded as a part of total credit line?     And until submission of !V,  any CLI with Amex is over even in the future??  

One interesting part is I am still getting additional loan offers on my biz card time to time... I assume those are pre approved.

Message 4681 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not really sure.  Never say never.  It depends what the constraint is to growth on your profile.  If it were (say) the element of time, perhaps 6 months from now you could receive another CLI that isn't available today, for example.  At this point you simply don't know what the limiting factor is, so all you can really do is sit tight and continue to try from time to time.  I suppose you could always call CS to inquire as well, just to see if they have any additional information on the subject with respect to your profile.

Message 4682 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of it depends on your profile, like I said. I haven’t had issues getting much larger CLI than 5k well over 50k TCL but my spend with the card is >25k a month.
Message 4683 of 5,432
BlueMystic
New Contributor

Interesting to see the recent posts. $53k appears to be another threshold in their model.

My GF was at $48,500 revolving exposure for the past year or so. Mostly unused – we put almost everything through my Plat (~20k/month) and her Gold (~10k/month). Her FICO is probably 820 or so. Recently she used the online CLI tool for her revolver and was asked for IV each time she requested large increases (additional $20/$25/30k). She didn't want to do the IRS thing so asked for lower amounts. When she asked for $5k more it was approved (which brings her to $53,500).

She does have a $15k POT limit on her Gold Card. I can't imagine she'd ever use it because we're PIF, but theoretically if she did, I'd expect them to CLD the revolvers.

Message 4684 of 5,432
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Should I request a CLI on an existing Amex BEFORE applying to a new one?

I am considering applying to a 2nd Amex card to take advantage of a balance transfer offer with zero fee. 

It has been more than 181 days since I last requested a CLI on this card and it sits at $13,500

My fico 8 is 754 with Experian.

Since I know Amex allows you to move available credit to another card and I need a big line on the new card,  I was wondering if I would mess it up by requesting a CLI on the one I currently have and then immediately applying to the new card. 

Thanks for any insight. I would like to get this going today. 

Message 4685 of 5,432
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Also, My girl friend's amex credit line was reduced due to no activity a few months ago. It went from 22k to 11k.

If she requested a CLI, would they deny it? 

Message 4686 of 5,432
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Also, My girl friend's amex credit line was reduced due to no activity a few months ago. It went from 22k to 11k.

Just have her call and ask to have her CL reinstated. Everyone who has discussed this on the forum has had success with this.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4687 of 5,432
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Just have her call and ask to have her CL reinstated. Everyone who has discussed this on the forum has had success with this.

Thanks, will do. 

What do you think about requesting a CLI and then applying for a new card with them as I posted about in the post above ? Trying to be cautious. Thanks

Message 4688 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can request a CLI, but you'd first want to get the limit raised back to $22k with a phone call.  Trying to raise the limit after that though I'm not sure makes much sense, as the previous limit wasn't being used and resulted in a CLD.  Totally your call though.  I also don't know if anything "changes" with an account from Amex's perspective after they give you a CLD with respect to future CLIs.  This whole cutting limits in half by 50% has only been happening for maybe 6 months now, so we don't have a lot of data surrounding what happens differently with those accounts after that, if anything.  Applying for a new card would be fine and your CLD on a previous card due to non-use would have no impact on a future app, IMO.

Message 4689 of 5,432
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

AX CLI math ? for a buddy please

01/18/19 BBP approval for $2K

03/22/19 BBP CLI to $6K

03/23/19 BCP approval for $1K

When can an attempt to CLI the BCP be made?

I have a close friend that is coming back from the dead after burning ax decades ago.  I have heard conflicting intel, 180 from last cli and 180 from last card opening hence my query.  thank you

Message 4690 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.