Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex ED 3x CLI question

I just took a trip that added balances to several of my cards. The balances will all be gone soon; some already are, though they did hit my most recent statements.

Also, I got an email saying that one card was $9 over my credit limit; this is because I paid for a hotel with points, but they put a pending charge for it on my card anyway, to my surprise. I immediately made a payment to get it below the CL and then when I got a chance, paid it halfway down, but I do have higher balances than usual.

Coincidentally, I am coming up on 61 days. My question is, before requesting a 3x CLI, should I give it an extra month or month and a half to a) pay everything to zero or close to zero and b) allow new statements to cut reflecting low/no balances? Or does that not really matter? I have no late payments or anything else with Amex, my only "bad" thing was being $9 over my CL for a brief time. Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4821 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

61 days today on Hilton Surpass. Got 7-10 day message and email stating "we made a decision regarding your request" clicked through and "application can not be accessed at this time"...

Asuuming denial?

Message 4822 of 5,432
eastsea
Regular Contributor

Was just approved of my first card in 7 years, Amex BCE with SL of $2k. 

What would be my best course of action from here?  Asking for a CLI now or wait after 61/91/181 days?  Don't want to spook Amex but would like to know what is a good CL to aim for in the long run.  

Message 4823 of 5,432
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@eastsea wrote:

Was just approved of my first card in 7 years, Amex BCE with SL of $2k. 

What would be my best course of action from here?  Asking for a CLI now or wait after 61/91/181 days?  Don't want to spook Amex but would like to know what is a good CL to aim for in the long run.  

Congratulations on your approval! Ask for a CLI to $6K at day 62 or 63. AmX's count always seem to be off by a day. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4824 of 5,432
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Amex 3x CLI timing

My profile is very young, with many new accounts and inquiries. Although, nothing for the past ~2 months.

In July, I was approved for an Amex Gold card.

In August, I was approved for Amex Delta Gold at $1,000, and the next day, for Amex Hilton Aspire at $3,100.

I am at or near 61 days and pondering a 3x CLI request on the Aspire.

Due to a vacation, my balances temporarily spiked on the Hilton card (was actually $9 over my limit for a short time due to a hotel temporarily putting a charge on my card when I was paying with points). However, I paid my balances down more than halfway very soon after, and paid them off entirely this week.

I have no other issues outside of Amex (no derogs, balances low).

My question is: should I go ahead and request the CLI, or should I wait until statements cut that show low/no balances? Will being $9 over my CL for a few hours due to a pending charge that was later withdrawn be a problem? Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 4825 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 3x CLI timing

Ok...

So, since you have 2 CCs now you're limited to 1 CLI every 181 days total.

I don't recall if you asked for one on Delta or not but, if you did you'll be auto denied on Hilton. 

If you didn't then go for it on Hilton since it's the higher CL and you can shift CL's between them if you want to down the road.

Message 4826 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

if they don't give you a cli it's probably because you signed up for 3 of their cards in such a short timeframe. i'm due for my cli in about 3 days here and i'm wondering if they'll care i apped for 2 cards at other lenders.

Message 4827 of 5,432
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Thanks. I haven't received or applied for any Amex CLIs so far. In an ideal scenario, I'd get 3x on Aspire to $9,300. I'd probably then move $1,500 or so to Delta, and wait until I can try for another CLI on Aspire next year.

My question is whether now is the right time to apply for it, or whether I'd be better off waiting for new statements showing zero or very low balances. My current Aspire statement shows a balance of $1,201.

Message 4828 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't really matter.  There's a delay in the SP's usually with Amex and it will be based of that info and your current status on the card.  Showing high use and paying it off quickly falls into what they typically look for.  If it's denied it's a 90 day wait until you can try again.  

Roll the dice if you're credit hungry.  If you're not then just wait.  It's up to you Smiley Happy

Message 4829 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

TBH, it could go either way. You haven't had the cards that long before putting large balance on them, even maxing them out. Although you did pay them down to only 50%, that's still high. DP's I have read reported that balances didn't seem to matter any more than having none. So while a balance on the account(s) wouldn't normally seem to factor in, I don't believe those candidates were at 50% utilization. If you're successful it may not be the typical 3X you're expecting, although it still might. YMMV

If denied at least it will give you the more to pay them down them and allow the new balances to report.

Good Luck!

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just use the Gold for everything? Aside form the Hilton spend.

Then you wouldn't be having to worry about utilization. etc.  

Message 4830 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.