Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI timing

I’m coming up on 61 days since I got my BCE. My initial CL was a generous $8k (maybe due to a good DTI). However, my EX score has dropped by about 40 points (700->660) thanks to credit seeking and Experian Boost no longer working with my CU. Should I even try to for a CLI next week?
FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 4831 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Hello,

Thank you all for your answers!

I have some update since I’m celebrating my third month with Amex (1000$ credit limit so far)

The thing is that one month ago I was chatting with support and they told me that i could request a CLI with no consequences, which I did, and i got a refusal. Fine.

But now I chatted with them since I’m 3month old and they told me that since I requested a CLI last month I would have to wait until December.... they also told me that they could exceptionally do another request for me but they told me there would be a small chance of it being accepted (in their opinion).

1000$ limit is really low for me I would need that 3x CLI. Do you think they’re mistaking and is it fine to make that new request? Or should I wait until December?...

Thank you all!
Message 4832 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also

My fico score shows 693
Message 4833 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello,

Thank you all for your answers!

I have some update since I’m celebrating my third month with Amex (1000$ credit limit so far)

The thing is that one month ago I was chatting with support and they told me that i could request a CLI with no consequences, which I did, and i got a refusal. Fine.

But now I chatted with them since I’m 3month old and they told me that since I requested a CLI last month I would have to wait until December.... they also told me that they could exceptionally do another request for me but they told me there would be a small chance of it being accepted (in their opinion).

1000$ limit is really low for me I would need that 3x CLI. Do you think they’re mistaking and is it fine to make that new request? Or should I wait until December?...

Thank you all!
American Express' policy is a 90 waiting period before you can request another CLI.
Message 4834 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but they told me they would do exceptionally another one for me because they did tell me there would be no consequences when I requested it last month and didn’t prevent me that I would have another 90 days wait in between
Message 4835 of 5,432
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

If you're eligible for CLI consideration and you're denied, you'll have to wait 90 days before trying again. If you request too soon, i.e. you're not yet eligible, your eligibility won't be reset.

It appears that your first request kicked in the 90-day waiting period, which has you eligible again in December. The second request didn't have any negative consequences because the only issue was requesting too soon.

Message 4836 of 5,432
MediumTedium

Clicked the credit increase button

"We're Sorry...
We are currently upgrading our site to improve American Express Online Services. During this time you may experience intermittent system delays."

Smiley Sad Nooooooooo

Message 4837 of 5,432
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Amex 3x CLI and 'transfer available credit' option

So, I have 4 AmEx cards:

1.  Optima (which I've had forever) - $2,300 limit

2.  Amex Everyday - original limit was $4,700, but now is $1,000 after moving some limits around (I got a 3x CLI to $14,700 some months ago, and moved a lot of the increase to my Skymiles card)

3.  Platinum Delta Skymiles - original limit was $3,000, but now is $16,100 after the above 3x CLI)

4.  Platinum Card (no pre set spending limit)

I have managed all of them responsibly - paying multiple times and month and always early.

The six month window is approaching, and I'm thinking of the next 3x CLI I can request.  However, I'm confused about how to go about it and what to ask for (at the most) due to the changes I made to my limits. 

Would the next 3x CLI be based on the current card limits or the original ones?  For example, could I request a 3x CLI on the card that is currently at $16,100, which would maximize my potential lines with them the most?  Or would they be looking at the fact that the original card limit for the Skymiles card was 3K?

Also, is there an upper doller limit on all Amex cards in total that I should be aware of or avoid going over?  I also want to make sure I put most of my utilization on the card that I can request the 3x CLI on...

Message 4838 of 5,432
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex 3x CLI and 'transfer available credit' option

@myquestionsfico wrote:

Would the next 3x CLI be based on the current card limits or the original ones?  For example, could I request a 3x CLI on the card that is currently at $16,100, which would maximize my potential lines with them the most?  Or would they be looking at the fact that the original card limit for the Skymiles card was 3K?

Also, is there an upper doller limit on all Amex cards in total that I should be aware of or avoid going over?  I also want to make sure I put most of my utilization on the card that I can request the 3x CLI on...

Current limits and profile dependent

For the request it can go a number of different ways. They may deny, counter or ask for income verification depending on the amount you ask for. There's no real magic number because your profile (income, scores, activity with AMEX, etc) all play a part. If you haven't already check out the AMEX CLI thread for more help

Message 4839 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 3x CLI and 'transfer available credit' option

@myquestionsfico wrote:

Would the next 3x CLI be based on the current card limits or the original ones?  For example, could I request a 3x CLI on the card that is currently at $16,100, which would maximize my potential lines with them the most? 

Yes on the Platinum Delta Skymiles, then spread the wealth around to other cards if you like. That's if you get the 3X, it can be less. YMMV

You may aslo get a POI request, if so just back out and request a lower amount. Repeat until they approve the amount w/o POI.

Message 4840 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.