Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous 

Rooting for you!

Message 5221 of 5,432
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

What should I try for my first cli with a SL of 15k?

If 3x, will asking for it trigger a financial review?

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Starting Scores (06/2016):

Current Fico8 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Current Fico9 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Message 5222 of 5,432
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@raisemysc0re wrote:

What should I try for my first cli with a SL of 15k?

If 3x, will asking for it trigger a financial review?

Only you know what you are comfortable asking for. You can ask for $45k    if you feel your income and spend merit that limit and dont mind sharing your finances with Amex  ,should they ask,  then shoot for it out of the gate. Most people dont see 15k as a sl so it may be your limit is sufficient for now but again only you and your current needs/ situation can determine whst to ask forSmiley Wink

Message 5223 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

does this apply to business revolvers

Message 5224 of 5,432
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Only you know what you are comfortable asking for. You can ask for $45k    if you feel your income and spend merit that limit and dont mind sharing your finances with Amex  ,should they ask,  then shoot for it out of the gate. Most people dont see 15k as a sl so it may be your limit is sufficient for now but again only you and your current needs/ situation can determine whst to ask forSmiley Wink

I guess what I'm wondering is what is the limit before a financial review would be triggered?

Message 5225 of 5,432
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@raisemysc0re wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I guess what I'm wondering is what is the limit before a financial review would be triggered?

CLI requests by themselves do not trigger an AMEX financial review.

A CLI request may trigger their requesting a 4506-T authorization request, but that is done as a means of verifying your income.  You don't have to agree to it and in general the only potential ramification of a refusal is an almost certain denial of the current and probably denial of subsequent requests. The usual technique when hit with a 4506-T request when asking for a CLI is to back out of the request and try again, requesting $100 less than the previous request, rinse and repeat if and until you get an approval.

A financial review is generally triggered by suspected fraud or other serious concern, is a considerably more detailed review of your financial status than a review of your recent federal tax submissions, suspends all AMEX accounts while the review is underway, and is not optional if you expect to have any chance of retaining open accounts open once the review has completed.

It's been discussed on the site a number of times before that emperically requesting a CL of $35K or more increases the odds of a 4506-T request.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5226 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think trying to go from $15k to $45k would result in IV being required.  From what I've seen, trying to cross that $35k threshold in a big jump rather than slow/steady (say, $5k CLIs) often results in an IV prompt.  I might suggest going for $35k and see how that goes, if you're prompted with IV language just X out and try again, perhaps at $30k and you should see an instant approval there for that amount.  Then from that point on work your way up $5k/6mo until you hit the ceiling on your account.  I walked mine up from $30k to just about $60k this way over 6 CLIs.

Message 5227 of 5,432
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

@coldfusion 

Thanks fot the clarification... Nice to know that I can reject the results and then try for a lower amount.

@Anonymous 

This sounds like the way I'll go.

Message 5228 of 5,432
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Hey @Anonymous or @coldfusion 

I just posted this on another post but realized it probably should be here:

On 09/03/20, I requested a CLI on AMEX and got a 7-10/day message (Denial, of course). I applied for another AMEX card the same day and was approved. I know AMEX has the CLI timeline across all accounts regardless of which account received it, but what would be the CLI's correct date?

Should I have CLI on 11/03/20 per the 61/day? 

Should I request CLI on 12/03/20 per the 3/month?

Message 5229 of 5,432
john316
Established Member

Just wanted to thank the OP for this guide.  I originally opened my AMEX BCE card in Feb 2018 and they approved me for a 1k limit.  A couple of weeks later, I opened a NFCU AMEX and was approved for 25k, so I almost just immediately closed the BCE once I got the original perk offer.  But I read this forum and performed the 3x CLI and was successful every time and now have a 27k limit some 18 months later.

It's very satisfying climbing out of mediocre credit and enjoying the fruits of diligent work toward excellent credit, and it can happen in a relative short time.  Thanks again!

Message 5230 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.