Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I feel like I just graduated amex school 😃 this post is great thank you!

Message 5231 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's been about 80 days since someone close to me was approved for the Amex cash magnet. They got a starting limit of 25k. I've read about the 3x increase that Amex offers after 61 days. 

im guessing if they were to ask for the 3x increase most likely they would not get it as that would be a 75k credit line. Is there a limit when it comes to the 3x increase for when someone already has a high starting limit vs someone that has say a 3k starting limit and gets the 3x increase for 9k. 

We would like to avoid triggering any financial reviews as she is in the middle of a big divorce. What do you suggest she asks for ? If by chance the amount is to much and it triggers a finically review can you choose to not accept it and try for a lower number without getting multiple hard pulls ? 

just looking for info on how the 3x increase works when someone already has a somewhat high credit limit. Am I wrong to think the 3x doesn't apply to someone with a 25k limit and they should ask for much less ? 

Message 5232 of 5,432
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So it's been about 80 days since someone close to me was approved for the Amex cash magnet. They got a starting limit of 25k. I've read about the 3x increase that Amex offers after 61 days. 

im guessing if they were to ask for the 3x increase most likely they would not get it as that would be a 75k credit line. Is there a limit when it comes to the 3x increase for when someone already has a high starting limit vs someone that has say a 3k starting limit and gets the 3x increase for 9k. 

We would like to avoid triggering any financial reviews as she is in the middle of a big divorce. What do you suggest she asks for ? If by chance the amount is to much and it triggers a finically review can you choose to not accept it and try for a lower number without getting multiple hard pulls ? 

just looking for info on how the 3x increase works when someone already has a somewhat high credit limit. Am I wrong to think the 3x doesn't apply to someone with a 25k limit and they should ask for much less ? 

While not exactly the answer to your question (someone might stop by with the information you've asked for), if you or they are worried about triggering a financial review... it's probably best not to request a CLI, or run up a big bill.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 5233 of 5,432
wingennis
Valued Contributor

The absolute worst thing that can happen if she asks for 3x is "no".  An inconvenient thing they could do is ask for income verification prior to approving.  If that isn't a problem for her then she can ask for the moon.  I stopped at 34,500 because I hate to be inconveniencedSmiley Very Happy

Message 5234 of 5,432
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Amex school sounds awesome.  You get a $100 credit for lunch.

Message 5235 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just adding a DP and looking for other insight. Requested a 3x CLI 11/25 and was denied (2k-6k). Went to review and was approved for 4K (2x). Received the letter today and it says "the amount requested  is more than two times higher than your account's current credit limit, and exceeds the maximum allowed". 

Cheers!

Message 5236 of 5,432
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a quick note about the terminology here... with American Express, the term "financial review" has a very specific meaning, and it's not the same as proof of income.

When Amex does a financial review, they put a freeze on all of a person's (Centurion Bank) Amex cards, and then they start their review.  Occasionally they'll ask for something as minor as pay stubs or bank statements, but most of the time they want to do a full review of one's tax returns (via form 4506-T).  If one is under financial review and wishes to keep his/her accounts, compliance isn't optional... if Amex doesn't get what they want, all accounts are summarily closed.  *I mention 'Centurion Bank' above since Amex cards issued by other banks, i.e. Wells Fargo Propel Amex, NFCU Amex, etc. would not be included.

On the other hand, if one asks for a credit line increase and Amex askes for proof of income (POI) that's a different situation.  It's sometimes conflated with an FR since the vehicle used by Amex for verification is often the same (IRS form 4506-T) but that's where the similarities end.  A POI request can safely be disregarded and nothing bad happens (you just don't get the increase).  You can also try reducing the amount of your CLI request to an amount they are comfortable approving without proof of income.

TL;DR:  A financial review means accounts are all frozen, and compliance is required if you want to keep them.  Proof of income requests are optional, you just don't get your increase if you don't comply.

Message 5237 of 5,432
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I am excited about my 3x CLI at the end of January/beginning of February 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5238 of 5,432
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I haven't been on the forums much in the past couple of months. How is Amex with CLI these days? I got my BCP on August 1st with a $5,000 limit. It was lower than I expected / hoped, but it's 2020 so I get it. Anyway, I've been using it consistently and pay in full but haven't attempted any CLI yet. Should I even try for a 3x CLI? If denied, should I try another amount or let it be? The only other card I have with them is a gold card, so I have no experience with their procedure.

Also, when do SUBs post? I should have hit mine but nothing has posted yet. 

PS - I still have my job and fortunately have not been affected by Covid.

Message 5239 of 5,432
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

They've been treating me pretty well. I've got a Marriott Card @ 10k & just asked for a 5k cli on my EDP bumping it from 24k to 29k a few months back...it was granted. I applied & was approved for the Marriott Business Bonvoy card for 10k 2 weeks back. Fico's are around 800 & my util is 3% with a personal loan reporting as well.

I would say a healthy aged profile is fine with Amex in this climate. A creeping util % may be reason for concern BUT that is just my opinion...not based on any facts...

Message 5240 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.