Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
ccquest
Established Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is does this apply to new members to Amex with no past history with them? How many statements in should i be with only $1700 CL AKA training wheel acct. My first statement will be close to 150%to 200% of my limit. 

I have paid $1500 when i got my close to limit notice..(rest still pending)

It applies to everyone. Try at 61 days and if you don't get it, set another reminder for 91 days after that. No harm in asking, it's a soft pull.

I got denied at 61 days, but got the 2X I asked for after the additional 91 days.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5361 of 5,432
integral0

Wonder if this has been answered before but my search skills are lacking - can a CL balance be transferred and then a CLI? For example I have a Marriot Bonvoy with a $12k limit and BCP with $3k limit - can I transfer $11k from Bonvoy to BCP,  raising the BCP CL to $14k and then request a CLI?

Chase Sapphire Preferred // Chase Sapphire // Chase Freedom Unlimited // Chase Freedom Flex // AMEX Blue Cash Preferred // AMEX Marriot Bonvoy // Discover IT // Citi Double Cash
Message 5362 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

Yes, as long as you are past the requisite time period that'd be fine. Then you can get up to 3X on the higher 14k limit.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5363 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide Discussion Thread

This was super helpful. Thank you @MustangSaluki 

Message 5364 of 5,432
Repairman
Established Contributor

Does the 60 day in between successful CLI apply to ANY AMEX CLI across cards, or just 3x CLI?

Message 5365 of 5,432
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

Does the 60 day in between successful CLI apply to ANY AMEX CLI across cards, or just 3x CLI?

181 days between successful CLIs of any amount.

Message 5366 of 5,432
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Yes, as long as you are past the requisite time period that'd be fine. Then you can get up to 3X on the higher 14k limit.

But there's a significant caveat. 3x$14k would be $42k. That isn't going to happen in one shot without providing income verification. The highest most people can go with the big steps without IV is $35k. After that, it's $5k at a time. 

Message 5367 of 5,432
BrooklynDrip
Contributor

So I got denied for my first 3x. Reason “the balance on your credit card accounts are high in relation to their credit limits”. They based it off my FICO score in mid February which was 725. I realized I made a mistake. Two of my Chase cards I payed down to $0 on the cards actual closing date as opposed to a few days before. I mistakenly thought it would update in time 🤦🏻‍♀️. Also, I requested the increase a few days after my Chase accounts closed. Had I been patient (as I said I would have) and waited a few more weeks or even a month I might have stood a better chance. No worries though because I’ll try again on 91 days. And by then even my largest balance will will be paid down even more.

1st Garden: Started January 2021
2nd Garden: Sept 2021 I’m returning to the garden - Doing a minimum of a year until 10/22 which will be 12 months post my newest 2 HPs

Scores as of 7.27.21
Experian: 760 Transunion: 732 Equifax: 741
Current Cards:
Macy’s Store:
$15000 - CLI $100>$2K>$4K>$8>$13K w P.C. to Amex >$15k
Care Credit: $1800 (Sock drawer)
Discover It: $4500
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $1000 (sock drawer)
AMEX Cash Magnet: $3000
Chase Freedom Flex: $1000
Amex Blue Business Cash: $2000
FNBO Evergreen Rewards Signature Visa Card: $10,000
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card: $9,000

Wishlist Cards:
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant || AMEX Platinum || AMEX Blue Cash Preferred || Wells Fargo Propel American Express || U.S.Bank Altitude Go || Chase Sapphire Preferred || Citibank Double Cash

https://m.imgur.com/7eJQLoF?r

https://m.imgur.com/5QX7J6E?r
Message 5368 of 5,432
RSX
Valued Contributor

i opened the BCP Jan 20/2020 - got an initial $10k limit

used the portal the next day to ask for a CLI and got $20k (i had a corp amex, so i had the online profile already)

i tried throughout the year for an increase without luck - orig tried for $45k after 91 days - no go

tried for $30k after 180 days - no go

tried this week for a $5k increase - boom - got it - $25k total now

so i guess i am now on the 'only $5k increments' path from now on

usage is only $200-$300 per month - with occasional $2-$3k some months

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 5369 of 5,432
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I have what might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it because I think I've read contradictory things around here. 

Fact 1: Amex shows its members an EX8 score, which is updated approximately monthly (sometimes more often, but let's ignore that).  

Fact 2: When evaluating a CLI request, Amex typically uses an EX8 score it has on hand instead of pulling a fresh one.

Question: Does the CLI algorithm use the score mentioned in Fact 1 as soon as it's available, or is there sometimes a lag such that the CLI decision uses an older score than the one the cardmember can see?

I appreciate any and all answers, and particularly those based on first-hand experience.

Message 5370 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.