Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin File CSP and Amex Gold Strategy

tag
CardBound8

Thin File CSP and Amex Gold Strategy

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some insight into my next card. I have a few large expenses coming up in 2 months or so, and I want to use that towards a SUB.

I’m a college student, but travel internationally 2-3 times a year, so would really benefit from earning transferable travel rewards (Amex MR, Chase UR, etc…(

I was ultimately hoping ti get the Sapphire Preferred or Amex Gold.

Fir the CSP, I’m not sure of my odds, as I’ve heard that Chase likes to see a $5k limit before approving. My highest limit right now is $2k on a Freedom Flex. Should I build my credit limits somewhere else up to 5k? Also heard of people building limits with some no AF Chase cards and applying once they have 5k in Chase credit, so some of it can be transferred to the CSP. Is this a good strategy? What should I be doing to work toward the CSP?

As for AMEX, I’m prequalified for the Gold right now. I have an AU Gold which I’ve put a decent amount of spend on, and paid myself using my online account the past few months. Know Amex is generally good with thin files, so thought this might be a good option. However, I’ve heard about the potential for income certification 4055-t, since my income is non-taxable, wouldn’t be able to provide THST form.

Here are my stats below, and thanks for all the help.

Current Scores FICO8

EX: 730

TU: 738

EQ: 737

Accounts

BofA Travel Rewards - 11 mos, $1.8k CL

Chase Freedom Flex - 3 mos, $2k CL

Authorized User Cards

BofA AU - 7 yrs 10 mos, $4k CL

Amex AU - 9 mos, NPSL

UTIL - 1%

AAoA: 2 yrs 4 mos

AoOA: 7yrs 9 mos

Income: ~30k

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Relatxbles
Regular Contributor

Re: Thin File CSP and Amex Gold Strategy

I have been told that applications to Chase/BofA should always go first due to them being inq sensitive .. but others have had different odds.. 

Amex Gold is great for travel, and their pre-approvals and generally very solid. I was pre-approved for the Platinum with no existing relationship and was instantly approved NPSL. 

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck - hope this is helpful! 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.