cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Citi or not to Citi

tag

To Citi or not to Citi

Hi folks,

For my next card, I'd like the Citi Custom Cash.

I applied 5/2 for a USB Cash+ and was approved post recon with a 5k SL. The HP was the same day to TU.

I'm (now) at 1/12 and 4/24.

I'd like some input on a few things - I'd like to apply for CCC in the next few days. Assuming Citi doesn't pull TU, what are my odds of being approved? Approved or denied, this is credit seeking behavior - any thoughts on how that may affect existing cards?

My credit profile is pretty thin - student loans are paid off. I lowered utilization last month, EQ is 755, EX is 748. AAoA is 3y1m for EQ, 2y9m for EX, both showing 3 revolving accounts. Annual income is ~190k.

I'm guessing they'll pull EX based on the matrix here https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Which-Report-Will-They-Pull-Part-2/td-p/63797...

I want this as my next card - if that means gardening for a bit, I'm happy to do so. But if I can likely do it now with little/no downside...why not send it.

All input appreciated, TIA!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: To Citi or not to Citi

If it were me I'd confirm either via Credit Karma or by pulling 1 or more of your reports from annualcreditreport.com to confirm whether or not any of the updated balances after the paydown you made last month have been reported, then go ahead and apply for the card before the Cash+ starts reporting to the CRAs.    I wouldn't be too concerned about your existing accounts being placed at risk because you applied and approved but I'd also plan on not applying for any more cards for at least another 6 months.

Scores don't tell the whole tale but yours are good, you did get a $5K approval out of US Bank which in itself is not inconsequential,  and you do have a few years of history so IMO you should feel pretty confident of an approval and if denied there'd be a reasonable chance of successful recon.  Only real question I can think of would be as to how squirrely they might be if they saw your recent TU inquiry, although nowadays they might raise an eyebrow if you were self-employed or you only very recently started working for your current employer.

Just be aware that Citi does lean toward being conservative with starting limits especially for one's 1st card with them so don't be disappointed if you get an approval in the $2.5K-$4K range.

My $0.02.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@agSwA2Jp7twxqBC2NsztvA7o wrote:

Hi folks,

For my next card, I'd like the Citi Custom Cash.

I applied 5/2 for a USB Cash+ and was approved post recon with a 5k SL. The HP was the same day to TU.

I'm (now) at 1/12 and 4/24.

I'd like some input on a few things - I'd like to apply for CCC in the next few days. Assuming Citi doesn't pull TU, what are my odds of being approved? Approved or denied, this is credit seeking behavior - any thoughts on how that may affect existing cards?

My credit profile is pretty thin - student loans are paid off. I lowered utilization last month, EQ is 755, EX is 748. AAoA is 3y1m for EQ, 2y9m for EX, both showing 3 revolving accounts. Annual income is ~190k.

I'm guessing they'll pull EX based on the matrix here https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Which-Report-Will-They-Pull-Part-2/td-p/63797...

I want this as my next card - if that means gardening for a bit, I'm happy to do so. But if I can likely do it now with little/no downside...why not send it.

All input appreciated, TIA!

I'm just guessing, but I think your chances for approval are good.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 715

Message 3 of 8
keekers
Established Contributor

Seems like you're in good shape to me.

Message 4 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just to add Citi is also more inclined to pull EQ or EXP or both which don't be suprised if they do.  Usually not a TU puller

Message 5 of 8
Muhlisahhh

Citi just pulled TU for me for the first time which I was surprised by. I have two other Citi cards and both were EXP pulls. I knew it was possible, but I wasn't really expecting it! 

Message 6 of 8

Applied for Citi 5/10. Got 7-10 day message. As happened to Muhlisahhh, they pulled TU which was surprising. Called Citi that day, they confirmed some info and said to call back after I received a letter. I assumed the answer would be no given the recent USB inquiry but sounds like theres a chance.

Message 7 of 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Citi pulled TU for me and tried to pull EX.   I had unlocked TU, but not EX.

Denied.

I'll wait for July and unlock all three before I try again.

06/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 808, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 768 05/13/24, EQ 787 05/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.